“So So, but ok for easy stay”
Review of A&O Berlin Mitte

A&O Berlin Mitte
Ranked #265 of 358 Specialty Lodging in Berlin
Reviewed January 28, 2013

Stayed there 2 nights, a group of 3 friends. It was really cheap, the room we had for that could be better described as apartment (bedroom+kitchen+bathroom). Pros: room itself, price. Cons: no wiFi (except in a lobby), difficult to find where this apartment is (cross the road).

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed January 27, 2013

I spent one night in this hostel when I was on my way home from abroad. My choice was determined by the fact that it is conveniently located not far from Ostbahnhof and the price is very reasonable. Everyhing was fine. My room and bathroom were clean but I was on the street side which is noisy. Valuables can be deposited free of charge at the reception (they will give you a confirmation).

As I left in a hurry in early morning to catch my train, I left a clothe item in the room.
However, I wish the staff were a little more cooperative in retrieving a clothe item I had forgotten in the room. They were quite kind and polite when I phoned them but quite inefficient at the end.

Room Tip: If it is possible, try to get a room which is not on the street side.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed January 16, 2013

I know, you get what you pay for. I didn't pay much for my stay here and I therefore had low expectations which were sadly realised in full.

This hotel is located in a grim and grey part of Berlin, a fair walk from the U Bahn, with a number of dorms and private rooms. It has the feel of a college halls of residence, full of noisy students hanging around the entrance smoking, shouting and crashing around the public spaces at all hours of the day and night. The smell of pot hangs in the air. I didn't trust leaving anything of value in my room, there is no room safe, whilst the layout of the main entrance by the lifts, the tucked away reception, grim corridors and broken locks on flimsy communal doors seems to invite thieves.

My single room was small, bleak, bare and depressing. The duvet (which featured an old blood stain) and single pillow were tatty and wafer thin. I asked reception for an additional pillow twice but never received this. The tiny television, circa 1975, was high up on the wall (who watches television with their neck craned up to the ceiling?) and had no remote. The two hangers suggest that the clientele of the A&O hostel generally don't hang up their clothes.

The bathroom was clean but cramped, with an industrial locked toilet roll dispenser that you'd expect to find in a railway station convenience. The towels were small, frayed and hard and really only suitable for drying a dog after a muddy walk.

The wifi signal was incredible weak and kept cutting out. I checked out the breakfast buffet - think school canteen/hospital, and passed on this after being sharply told off by the staff for not paying at reception before poking my head into the breakfast room.

Altogether my stay her was a deeply unsatisfactory experience which very much spoiled my weekend in the great city of Berlin. The lesson - when you hit your 40s you should always pay a little but more for a comfortable room. Leave this sort of place for the youngsters.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed January 12, 2013

this hotel is pretty basic and clean,it is handy for the metro which is just down the road a bit,the bar is fairly relaxed and the prices seem to change with every drink although the same drink was ordered,this was great as the measures were large,this would be good for someone on a budget as its fairly cheap,the breakfast is also good as its eat what you want basically,all in all i would recommend.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 8, 2013

I visited in February/ March 2012 with my university and we stayed here 4 nights. It was a clean room for 6 (or at least clean when we got there, dont expect them to clean your room every day whilst you are out - it is a hostel.) I got a good sleep there even though Hostels are rumoured to be noisy, I'll admit it was sometimes noisy but never when we were trying to sleep. I brought a sleeping bag even though bedding was provided. Since I did the payments through my University I'm not sure exactly how much we paid for the hotel and transport (2 day journey bus ride) but overall the price was reasonable.

The building itself was a little dated and there were only two elevators which is nightmarish when two schools of people are trying to get up to their room. The bar in the hotel was nice and reasonable, the food there kept us happy on nights when we were too tired to go far. They also have computer facilities at good rates so you can brag on Facebook about how you are in Berlin. I used it mainly to tell my mum I hadn't died.

The breakfast was suprisingly nice, even when we got down there at around 9 or 10. The staff are always visable, stocking food or putting away rubbish etc. If you get there on opening (which we had to on the last day) they even had croissants but didn't replenish those once they had run out. We had to wear blue bands to say we paid for breakfast (and we looked super cool wearing those all week) and we normally made sandwiches at breakfast - which they object too but if you are sneaky enough you can get away with.

It is in the middle of two subway stations which was very handy, the subway system was very easy to pick up and we were able to navigate around with ease. You have to be careful with the way the subway works as you need to validate your ticket before going on the subway but we used a 7 day ticket that only needed validated once. For the entire time I don't think we were checked once.

For a group of people this is a good hostel (there must have been around 40 or us altogether) but I wouldn't recommend it for solo or family visit. If I were to return to Berlin with friends I would probably look to stay here, but if I return in a couple (more likely) I would probably look to stay at a different hotel.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 5, 2013

The property was close to both Ostbanhof station and jannowitzbrücke station (which is next to the Alexanderplatz), so a perfect central location, and train travel is very cheap. I stayed with a group of my friends we were given a spacious room with a bunk bed and two singles, the rooms were kept warm, as we went in December and the bathrooms were clean, with towels, soap etc provided. Also, to prove the central location you could see the Tv Tower from our window. Overall, i would say this is the perfect place if you want a budget holiday to Berlin

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 3, 2013

Stayed in a twin room for a good price (40 euros) and 5 each for breakfast. The room was small but comfortable with two single beds that could be pushed together to form a double, a small TV, window onto a large courtyard and a bathroom. The location is good, relatively near Ostbahnhof station which is walking distance to the East Side Gallery, a stretch of remaining Berlin Wall with art painted on it. The map on the hostel website is not clear though and it took around 15 mins to find it. Note that it is actually easier to go to Heinrich Heine U-Bahn station (U8) and walk down Köpenicker street to get to the hostel. The breakfast was adequate and buffet style but it was very crowded in the narrow passages and rooms where it is served. Overall I would stay here again for a short Berlin stay. It is no frills though, and it shows, but a good deal for the price. Can't comment on the value of the hostel section though.

Room Tip: Get a room away from internal locking doors in the corridor as they can close noisily at night when...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple