“Smoking hot waiting staff”

Hotel-Pension Savoy near Kurfurstendamm
Ranked #453 of 635 Hotels in Berlin
Reviewed October 19, 2013 via mobile

We went to the cigar bar and drank fizz while our hubbies had an inside smoke for once. The staff were helpful, friendly and all looked like models. We spent an hour and a half people watching and inventing back stories for all the other guests. Super relaxing and made us feel like we were in a PG Wodehouse novel. What ho, Bunny?

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Hotel-Pension Savoy near Kurfurstendamm

Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

Great location, close to public transportation (U Bahn and S Bahn, bike rentals) and nice neighbourhood (restaurants, shopping, etc). It is not a hotel, more like a pension, but the room was ok, good breakfast buffet. Overall good value for money. Recommand for short-period stay in Berlin.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Ndidouya
Reviewed August 25, 2012

We booked 3 nights at the end of our European trip, choosing this hotel because of the proximity to the Tegel airport and the location of the hotel to the Kurfursterdamn area. Our room was fine, although the cleaning person did not check the closet because we found empty shoe boxes and trash in the bedside draws. We were told there was a problem with our last night reservation, but they could move us to an apt. It took us by surprise, since they told us the morning of our last night. We spent the morning packing and then had to put our bags in storage. We thought the apt was in the building then they said it was elsewhere. The apt had a heavy smoke smell and the refrigerator and cupboard contained food, like someone lived there. It was an uncomfortable feeling. They paid for the taxi and the staff was very nice and accommodating, but we felt like the other reviewer, we were picked because we were not German. All the staff seemed to know some English, especially after my husband spoke some German. In hindsight, we should not have agreed to move and asked them to honor our reservation.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Travels4Two
Reviewed July 9, 2012

When I arrived at this location to claim my reserved room, I had the bad surprise to see a very ancient building, got stuck in the very old style elevator and finally reached the first floor of the building (they own one floor only) where I was attributed a room, certainly quiet as requested, but with walls of windows covered wih decorative curtains only. No real curtain to prevent the light from flooding the room at 5:30 in the morning. When I asked to be able to change the hotel because it would be impossible for us to sleep in such conditions, they refused and requested to charge me for the full planned stay of 2 nights. I had to call booking.com to have it reduced to one night only. In the process, the discussion became quite angry between us, in particular with a very rude guy pretending to be one of the reception staff and who spoke only Russian! The manager was not available to discuss with me or the agency, he only answered by phone to the girl at the reception, and they spoke Russian again, so I could not catch the conversation, The reception girl explained me this was a pension, not an hotel, so apparently something closer to a guest house. Even with 3*, I hoped I had never entered this building, because the guy threatened me to call the police if I didn't pay and I could not escape because I had a heavy suitcase and was not sure I could operate the elevator. I finally got rid of them, but really stressed to start what should have been a very nice week.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 25, 2012

I booked this hotel 9 months before our travel date based on reveiws, pictures, location and price the last priority. It lived up to expectations except for one item, they moved us to another location for 2nights out of our 4 nights stay. The relocation was unsuitable, the appartment was small and poorly fiinished. We had to take a taxi ride to and from the hotel to get our breakfast, and the hotel was reluctant to pay the taxi costs. Over the 3 days / 2 nights we were relocated I estimate that we lost over an hour per day in travel and waiting for taxis. On a short break to a place as interesting as Berlin that was a great disappointment.
I suspect that we were singled out to be moved as we were the only forgein guests and with very poor Germen were would raise the least noise or disturbance. When we first arrived the manager had a resonable grasp of English but when I tried to discuss the relocation their grasp of English vanished. No reason was given for the relocation
This is not the treatment that I have received from every other German I have met.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank John D
Reviewed December 22, 2011

We were stopping by Berlin for the night in order to fly back to Greece and the next morning, so we needed something cheap and around the area (Kurfursterdamm). This was the cheapest, and decent-looking place we could find. It was a little bit worse than we expected but there were no big surprises. The Pension is situated in the first floor of an old, traditional building, having one of those old-style elevators; the rooms were quite spacious but not really cozy, since it was quite cold outside. The bathroom was quite clean and the tub was big. Of course there was no view, since the windows looked over the place where the whole building stores their garbage. Breakfast was acceptable. On the bad side, I should mention that they charge you 8 euros for parking, which is actually on the street and they take no responsibility for theft or anything else. Also, the receptionist could hardly speak English, so communication was a bit difficult. Other than that, the location is really good, since it is a really busy street with various stores, if you're up to some shopping, nice places to eat and two metro stations nearby. I hope I have helped in some way. :)

Room Tip: ask for the password to have free access to the internet.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 27, 2011

Very close to K-dam, zoo and S-bahn line. We had reserved a single and a double room. The single was down a dingy stairway. The room had a shower tube open right into the main room! Our first double room had a bad mildew smell in the bathroom, but we never used it because after looking at the room, the key did not unlock it any more. We were switched to a dingy, large room at the back of the hotel. Lighting was very poor, and a slight mildew smell in the bathroom again. The next day we demanded room changes, and got two new rooms, which were okay. Breakfast quite good in a pleasant dining area. Room price is very good for Berlin, but beware what room you may end up in..

Room Tip: Do not get tiny downstairs rooms.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family