“Cute cupcake shop with American junk food for sale!”
Review of Cupcake Berlin

Cupcake Berlin
Ranked #7 of 67 Bakeries in Berlin
Neighborhood: Friedrichshain
Neighborhood: Friedrichshain
Reviewed March 18, 2014 via mobile

One of my good friends kept telling me that I had to try this place. I found myself in the neighborhood today, so of course I couldn't pass up the opportunity. I walked in, and the place is super cute. Lovely tables behind a glass cabinet displaying lovely frosted cupcakes. They had chocolate, raspberry, mint chocolate, Oreo, and a couple of other kinds. I chose raspberry with sprinkles. I would have gotten the Carrot Cake or Red Velvet variety, but all of the cupcakes have only buttercream frosting. I think carrot cake and red velvet MUST have cream cheese icing... so that was disappointing! But the cupcake was moist and fluffy, with tasty icing... You could probably make something similar at home, but it's hard to make a dozen and eat just one! Better to go to a bakery and buy only one serving to avoid consuming too many calories!

Another thing I liked about this place is that they sell about six or seven different flavors of PopTarts, Kraft Easy Mac, Oreos, Whatchamacallits, Reese's, brownies, and Jello powder packs- all of which are hard to find in Berlin. I will be keeping that in the back of my mind for the next time I'm craving one of those!

Reviewed January 4, 2014 via mobile

Having been to some really world class cupcake bakeries (eg Hummingbird Bakery in London) this place was a bit of a let down. The cupcakes were just okay (to be honest my husband makes better at home) - the frostings only tasted faintly of their content (oreos, peanut butter) and instead tasted most heavily of icing sugar and there wasn't any surprises in the middle of the cake either so for me these were not gourmet/decadent and certainly did not justify the 4 euro per cupcake price. To top it off, we were quite excited to see ice cream floats on their menu so we ordered a Root Beer and a Dr Pepper float - they didn't have Dr Pepper or the vanilla ice cream to make the floats with. I'd stop by again if I was in the area, but I certainly wouldn't send others out of their way to go here.

Reviewed January 2, 2014

I came here with my little girl and I wouldn't go back. The service was slow and not very friendly. When my daughter needed the toilet the waitress informed us (with a giggle) that their restroom was only for staff and my three year old couldn't use it. We had to run around outside looking for an alternative. The cupcakes are fine, but the terrible service put me off.

3  Thank Lucy S
Reviewed November 21, 2013

I lived in Berlin for about 9 months and this is the place where I spent my birthday. I haven't ever seen a place like that, cupcakes are the tastiest I've ever eaten and the owners are into punk hardcore, this is a good reason to go as well.

Reviewed November 20, 2013

They make great vegan cupcakes, usually one type of cupcake per day (vanilla, carrot/walnut, cocoa)
Vegan brownies, soylatte...
Cosy little place, nice staff.