“Nice hotel except for some of the staff.”

Select Hotel Berlin The Wall
Ranked #39 of 635 Hotels in Berlin
Reviewed June 25, 2013

Hotel is nice. Good location literally a few steps away from checkpoint Charlie. Stayed for two nights.

Arrived on Sunday so parking out on the street is plentiful and free. So asked about parking in the hotel for the second night and was told no problem. So the next day around noon I got up and asked could I put my car in the car park and was told to ask in an hour as the car park is full. I said yeah no problem and headed back to my room. I passed the window to the car park and saw lots of space in the car park and went outside and counted SEVEN spaces. I went back in and told him there were seven spaces and he said no they are full. And pretty much laughed at me and kept saying that I didn't understand. His point was that people are coming and going and they could be back. He also said that there were five people still to check out at twelve (this was at a quarter past twelve) that have parking spaces. So I could really not see the problem with me putting my car in off the street. Anyway I said OK and sat in the reception waiting for these people to check out. A half hour later after nobody checking out a receptionist called me over and said I can put my car in. Annoyed I confronted her about it and asked how there was no space a half hour ago but magically there is a space now? Again she actually laughed at me and told me I didn't understand. I understood quite well. Germans need rules unfortunately and if they can't tick a box they won't do it. I was very annoyed because I had plans that were delayed by an hour now because of this absolute nonsense and how badly and ignorantly the staff dealt with the issue.

It was a very small thing that they made into a massive thing putting me in bad form for no reason at all, and with no apology. It was my fault for not 'understanding'. Staff I encountered were not friendly and not very good English.

And it's funny reading a previous review that says their emergency alarm was going crazy. This happened us on our first day, we were relaxing watching tv and their alarm went off telling everyone to get out of the building. So we rushed out of bed getting dressed really quickly and went down several flights of stairs to the reception. The alarm stopped as we got to the bottom so we went into the reception and looked around trying to see what was happening. The staff did nothing at all. Didn't explain what was happening, didn't tell anyone why the alarm went off, didn't tell anyone it was OK or anything. So we just sat in the reception like a pair of lemons for five minutes until a few people seemed to be going back to their rooms after asking at reception. It was quite obvious there was about fifteen people sitting around looking at each other awaiting information and the receptionist just sat there.

Positives:
Good location and about ten euro in a taxi to Alexanderplatz to the tv tower and museum island

Negatives:
Staff I encountered were arrogant, ignorant, not great English , unhelpful and condecending

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank cianciancian
There are newer reviews for Select Hotel Berlin The Wall

Reviewed June 16, 2013

Located on a quiet street near two underground stations. Easy to get to central Berlin from here. It's a modern hotel with good facilities and two internet terminals available for guests plus free WiFi. Staff were very helpful - our laundry went missing and a member of staff called in at the laundry at 8am to collect our things so that we could have them before checking out that morning! Not many restaurants or bars nearby.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Linda2002
Reviewed June 3, 2013

located bang on checkpoint charlie, right next to the wall. great value for the price they charged. the interior of the hotel is newly done. rooms are a bit small but very functional and comfortable. staff was nice and helpful. a bit far away from the more famous pubs etc.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank yashbiswas
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I booked for 2 persons a room with twin beds. We arrived and they gave us a room with a double bed... Let's try again - and they gave us another room with a double bed ...and the lady at the reception wanted to see with her eyes to try to solve (maybe cutting the bed? :)) At the third try we had the proper room.
The room was large, clean, comfortable. Breakfast was a little bit expensive (14€) but huge and delicious.
Location is perfect to go on city sightseein, as you are at Check Point Charlie, but there are no bars/pubs or restaurants around. Consider that in any case metro station is 2 minutes from the hotel.
The staff never smiles and I have to admit their english is poor.
But the beer at their bar doesn't cost too much (4€) and it's really good..LOL
Well, all things considered, I could stay again in this hotel during next trip to Berlin.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Baby2105
Reviewed April 2, 2013

The rooms are spacious and modern, but the staff is horrible. They are inexperienced, rude and most of them do not speak English well. Also, their panic alarm had "technical issues" and we ended up running down the stairs, but, need I say, the employees at the reception desk did not even bother to apologize. Another thing is that the housekeeping is negligent and lazy, kept avoiding to clean up our room and they were surprised when we asked them to change the bed linens after a week of staying there. It is an acceptable place to stay if you decide to ignore the incredibly inept employees.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank TripsterH
Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

Stayed 3 nights, couples with children.
Brand new hotel, modern design which we really liked.
Rooms are clean, big and high quality materials were used. Very comfortable.
Great location 50m from checkpoint Charlie.
Free wifi although captive portal problematic with some mobile devices.
Very rich breakfast.
Almost 5 stars hotel.
Don't stay there, I want to keep it just for me :)

1  Thank ronenkv
Reviewed March 20, 2013 via mobile

Got there a week after it opened. Nice clean hotel. Nice and quiet..
Comfortable beds. Rooms get a little warm, we ended up leaving the window open a little.
Didn't have breakfast but it was an extra 14euros each.

Overall good place to stay.

• Stayed: March 2013