“Terrible - Avoid” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ruben & Carla
Ranked #330 of 8,236 Restaurants in Berlin
Cuisines: European, Delicatessen, Grill
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Mitte
Description: "Quality of the food, a simple menu and joy of life": these are the inspirations that drove Udi and Sebastiano, two old time friends respectively from Israel and Italy, to create their new restaurant and bar concept in the heart of Mitte. During the day an easy going Pastrami Bar serves the original Reuben sandwich, delicious home made burgers and much more; Ruben & Carla at night lowers its lights, lights the candles, and changes itself into a sophisticated meat restaurant that serves prime quality steaks "Tagliata" style with hand cut fries. Ruben & Carla is the new meeting point to experience good food and wine, good music and to discover an eclectic and cosmopolitan crowd.
“Terrible - Avoid”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

This place is awful and does not live up to the reviews upon which we based our decision to eat here.

The primary problem was of bad service. It was very slow; drinks we asked for were not served; staff were unhelpful, brusque and unfriendly. The staff all seemed more interested in sitting around the bar drinking and socialising amongst themselves.

The food was average and definitely not amongst the best that Berlin has to offer. The quality of drinks was poor. The restaurant itself lacked any atmosphere and was not very clean.

We stayed in an apartment just round the corner from here for one week and ate in many of the local bars and restaurants. This one was by far the worst and is not deserving of such high ranking on Tripadvisor.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank rocketman39
Sebastiano C, Owner at Ruben & Carla, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Dear Rocketman39,
let me start saying that I really appreciate all comments received, good or bad, because they all give me useful information to keep making the restaurant better.

Moving to your specific comment, I have to admit it finds me very surprised not because I was not expecting any bad comment (we're not perfect obviously...), but because the aspects you criticize are exactly the same aspects almost all the other reviewers appreciate the most: our very friendly service, the warm atmosphere and the food....
Considering this I can only think that you must have been to our restaurant in a very bad moment and I'm very sorry for this.
Please do come back next time you are in the area and we'll do our best to prove ourselves and make up for the bad experience you had.

Ciao

Sebastiano

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fantastic Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2013 via mobile

Been in berlin waiting to see the kings of Leon we thought that berlin had nothing going for it EXCEPT for this place the surrounding is very nice with the service and food was top notch I myself had a steak were my fiancé had the weekly burger and both meals were 10/10 I would
recommend this place to any1

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Airdrie, Canada
“It was so good, we went twice in three days!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2013

Udi is an unbelievable host. He has the energy and charisma that every person in customer service should model themselves after. He is one of the owners and he loves what he does - it shows!
We went early on a Sunday and pretty much had the place to ourselves. Udi took the time to help us personally. He recommended the burgers and fries - the fries are homemade - and we were not disappointed.
The next time we went in (Tuesday), the place was packed! Udi still found a table for the 5 of us, though. We had the corned beef and, again, were not disappointed. It was delicious and tender. WOW!!!
I'd have to say that this place is on my top ten places ever - around the world. The food is worth the trip, but the service and atmosphere is spectacular.
Udi, it was a pleasure meeting you and sharing your energy. If you're ever in Alberta, please look my family up!

beirut
“Brilliant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2013

I searched on the net , what was the best burger in berlin . I checked ruben and carla . I was there with friends after 20 min walk. We arrived at 2 , the place opened at 4 . My friends were mad at me . Sinece i was talking abt the place before coming to
Berlin and showed them the burger pictures. We talked to the chef and he agreed to let us in at 2 pm. BEST BURGER EVER . Trust me , i ve been in europe and asia s best cities never tasted something that good . Amazingly well prepared , fresh .
It s a must try in berlin .

London, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Delicious!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2013

Visited Ruben and Carla on Saturday night and had the fantastic Tagliata steak, what a treat! Great atmosphere sitting outside people watching and very cool interior where we finished the evening with desert and a glass of wine, all staff were very polite, happy and attentive,

Would highly recommend to anyone visiting Berlin!