“Nice hotel, too expensive, service to be improved”

Hotel Indigo Berlin – Centre Alexanderplatz
Ranked #65 of 635 Hotels in Berlin
Reviewed April 17, 2014

We stayed in the hotel for 2 nights during the busy school holiday period before Easter. We booked the deluxe double room which was advertised as more spacious than normal rooms including Agenda toiletries ( very small compared to other hotels). I wouldn't recommend spending the extra money for the deluxe room with view. We were located on the 3rd floor but actually expected a better view for the additional charge. Free welcome beer at the bar was nice, however staff at the bar seemed a bit rude. At 10.30pm the coffee machine was already switched off and foreign guests were treated not very welcoming. Staff were complaining about not receiving tip, talking about guests amongst each other, not at all professional. The next day we returned to the hotel around 11.30pm and the bar was closed. Waiting time at the lift in the morning is long, only two small lifts, no staircase. Reception was staffed with only one person at around 9am during busy check out period. Hotel is very clean and beds comfy. Tassimo coffee machine really nice to have. We are staying in many hotels around Germany and Europe for business and leisure and found the service and value for money disappointing. iPod docking station is pretty basic, choice of radio channels via TV very limited. I was surprised about the high rating at tripadvisor as I think this doesn't reflect the true picture. I'm sure there are cheaper hotels in the area with comparable service.

1  Thank Travellike_166
dirkdreyer, Manager at Hotel Indigo Berlin – Centre Alexanderplatz, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2014

Dear Travellike_166,

thank you very much for booking at Hotel Indigo Berlin - Alexanderplatz and for taking the time to write a tripadvisor review.

I am happy to read that you find our hotel nice, clean and comfy but I am sad to hear that we missed some opportunities showing our service skills.
The room that you have booked is one of our corner rooms with a total size of 30 sqm and floor to ceiling windows on two sides. Many guests praise the view to Alexanderplatz and TV tower and returning guests are usually requesting this room. I am sorry to read that the room did not match your expectations.
We include a lot of services like free WIFI, free landline calls, Aveda products, SKY movies and Sports channels, Tassimo machine, Welcome Drink, complimentary Late Night Snack into our rate and usually we receive excellent value for money feedbacks.
I will investigate on your negative experience that you had in our bar. The behavior is not acceptable and will be followed up.
Once again many thanks for your booking at Hotel Indigo and your valued feedback. You can contact me anytime on dirk.dreyer@hotelindigoberlin.com.

Yours truly,

General Manager Hotel Indigo Berlin - Alexanderplatz

Write a ReviewReviews (1,787)

Reviewed April 16, 2014

I stayed at the Indigo Alexanderplatz with three friends, on what was a first visit to Berlin for all of us. The hotel staff were very welcoming, helpful and knowledgeable, the rooms were large and well-designed, and the hotel itself is in an unbeatable location - especially if you want to roll out of bed and take part in the Berlin half-marathon, as we did (the starting pens were a 5-minute walk away). It's also a great base from which to walk to the 'museumsinsel' and many other interesting sites. Nearby Alexanderplatz station connects you on the U-bahn and S-bahn whenever you want to go further afield. Also, even though it's a thoroughly sleek and modern hotel, and part of a large chain, it manages admirably (and completely) to avoid the sterile, cold, corporate feel and ersatz warmth so typical of that sort of accommodation; there was nothing but genuine hospitality and a personal touch to their service. Lastly, I was very impressed by the follow-up by the manager and team of the hotel on a post-stay query I had. They dealt with it efficiently and thoroughly, and took a genuine interest in getting to the bottom of what I thought was a small error in the bill (but proved to be a round of drinks I bought at their excellent bar, which I had forgotten about in post-race delirium!). I'll stay there again on any future trips to Berlin. Lloyd D

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Lloyd D
dirkdreyer, Manager at Hotel Indigo Berlin – Centre Alexanderplatz, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2014

Dear Lloyd D,

thanks a lot for staying with us at Hotel Indigo Berlin - Alexanderplatz and for taking the time to write a tripadvisor review. I am glad that you have liked the location, the design and the friendliness of the staff. We hope to see you soon again for the next half marathon latest - or why not go for the full marathon in September ? Next time the drinks will be on my !!

Best regards,

Reviewed April 13, 2014

My husband and I stayed here for a long weekend on 14th March 2014. The hotel is perfectly situated in the centre of Alexanderplatz and very close to the station, shops bars and restaurants. We checked in with ease and the receptionist was very helpful giving us all the information we needed. Our room was on the 3rd floor with an amazing view of the tv tower. The room was a bit on the small side but perfect for 2people for a weekend. The bed was very comfortable and clean, airy and modern. We had drinks in the hotel bar which had a brilliant atmosphere and polite helpful barstaff. The breakfast was amazing with loads of choice and topped up regularly. This hotel was one of the best city hotels we have stayed in. Perfect location, very helpful knowledgable staff and great value for money. Thanks for an amazing anniversary weekend.

Dear clareandjamie,

it has been a pleasure having you at Hotel Indigo Berlin - Alexanderplatz for your anniversary weekend and I am so happy that you had a good time in Berlin and at Hotel Indigo. It is great that you liked the design and atmosphere I am especially happy to read your comments about the friendliness of the staff. I will read out your review in our next team meeting.

Whenever you are planning to return to Berlin we would be very happy to have you again at Hotel Indigo Berlin - Alexanderplatz.

Best regards from the whole team,

Reviewed April 13, 2014

We stayed for three nights in the Indigo Hotel. The staff at the reception (especially Maria) was great and very welcoming. The location couldn't be better. It really is in the shadow of the TV tower. The room was nice. Not very large, but certainly big enough for a city trip. It is a bit noisy though, because there passes a tram next to the hotel (luckily not during the night). The breakfast was what you can expect at a good 4 star hotel. Sometimes it took some time before the staff cleaned the tables of people that had finished breakfast, but that didn't really bother me.
Overall, I'd certainly recommend the hotel for a short stay in Berlin.

Dear Denieuwegust,

many thanks for your booking at Hotel Indigo Berlin - Alexanderplatz and for sharing your experience here on tripadvisor. I am very happy that you have enjoyed the service and the convenient location of the hotel. Maria says hi !

Once again thank you very much for recommending us. See you soon at Alexanderplatz !!

Best regards,

Reviewed April 13, 2014

Hotel Indigo is well located to visit the sights of Berlin. It is 5 minutes walk from the S Bahn and U Bahn and in walking distance of lots of the things you would want to visit.
The hotel is smart and stylish and very clean. The room was very nice. Smart and comfortable but was rather small. The bath room was interesting! It has all the facilities you would expect, a great shower and lovely toiletries provided but had a glass panel separating the bathroom from the room. If you were in the shower there was a big picture of Neptune so your modesty was protected but in other areas of the bathroom, if someone was standing at the wrong angle you could easily be seen. This wasn't a problem for me as I was with my boyfriend but if I had been staying with a friend I'm not sure I would have been so comfortable! This is the second hotel I've stayed in in the last month with this arrangement although the one in Barcelona had a blind that could be used to preserve modesty.
The room was also very hot at night and the air conditioning did not seem to work. We told reception and the lady on reception said she would get our room cooled down. Unfortunately it was still very hot that night and we had to open the window which meant it was quite noisy as we were on the first floor.
The reception staff were very nice and helpful and thankfully their English was excellent!!
The bar staff were slightly less friendly and took quite a long time to serve us in the bar.
We only had breakfast at the hotel one day and that was fine but quite expensive.
Overall, would I stay in this hotel again? Probably yes but I'd request a higher room and a bathroom without a glass wall.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BirdMeister49

Dear Birdmeister49,

many thanks for staying with us at Hotel Indigo Berlin - Alexanderplatz and for your your tripadvisor review. I am happy to read that you found the hotel smart, stylish and very clean.
Thank you for your remark about the glass wall at the bathroom. Our architect meant well by using this trick to provide daylight in the bathroom. Nevertheless should you feel uncomfortable we are happy to install a blinder. Just ask at the reception.
In springtime we sometimes get complaints about the temperature in the hotel. While some people think it is warm enough as soon as the first spring sun shines, many other guests would be freezing if we would switch the air-condition to summer mode to early. On your next check in with us we will make sure you will get a room on a higher floor - promised !

Once again thank you very much for your booking and for your feedback. We hope to see you soon again in Berlin.

Reviewed April 12, 2014

What a fantastic hotel with very friendly and helpful staff. The room we had was very spacious with a massive bathroom. Everything was clean and tidy. The Aveda products in the bathroom were lovely. It had a lovely atmosphere and very relaxing. The channels on the TV were ok but to be honest you are never in the hotel to watch them anyway!

The bed was lovely and very comfortable. Pillows were a bit soft but after a day walking around berlin and a drink in the bar it won't matter anyway!

Breakfast was continental which is what you would expect but I would have preferred a bit more choice. Having said that there was enough there. We never ate in the restaurant in the evening.

The hotel is centrally located (once you can find it!) and the staff are very knowledgeable and will give you directions along with what u-bahn or s-bahn to get... or like us we just walked... and walked.... There were a couple of bar staff in the afternoon who were fantastic with very good service. My only comment would be that I wished the evening staff were as friendly but that is a minute detail.

We would definitely return to Berlin and stay in the Hotel Indigo. I think we would also look at staying in other Indigo hotels.

Dear celtiscosham,

thanks a lot for your booking at Hotel Indigo Berlin - Alexanderplatz and for taking the time to write a tripadvisor review. I am so happy to read that you have enjoyed the atmosphere, the design and the amenities. I look forward to reading your compliments and comments to our staff to my team and I thank you for your valuable feedback,

We are happy that your first Hotel Indigo experience has been such a good one and we are excited, that we have made you a good introduction to the Hotel Indigo brand. We are looking forward to your next check in at Hotel Indigo Berlin - Alexanderplatz or at any other Hotel Indigo.

Reviewed April 6, 2014

Booked a 5 night rewards trip with my wife.
Pros:
Clean, modern, very friendly staff, nice TV and Coffee Machine, great shower! Great location near Alex
Cons:
VERY small rooms and VERY small beds. (1.60 mtr wide). I am used to this size alone when I travel, with 2 people it was very small (both room and bed). Very cramped feeling. Black out curtains would be nice, as there was much light coming in from the outside (inner courtyard) which was difficult for me to sleep in.

I was greeted as a platinum elite member of their rewards program, but my "reward" was a beer (and snack that was not served) in the bar, and after noticing my eyes after getting the one voucher, the reception worker gave my wife a voucher as well. By calculations alone, the reward for being a platinum member in this hotel must be worth €10 (the value of the 2 beers). I would have much rather been given an upgrade into a larger room instead.

Overall: due to the size of the room, I would not stay here again.

Room Tip: Courtyard is quiet (a little noise on the Friday night we were there) but bright.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
dirkdreyer, Manager at Hotel Indigo Berlin – Centre Alexanderplatz, responded to this reviewResponded April 7, 2014

Dear JLK1969,

many thanks for staying at Hotel Indigo Berlin - Alexanderplatz and for taking the time to write a tripadvisor comment. I am very happy about the 'Pros' you have listed and that you liked the location, the cleanliness and the friendliness of the staff.

I have checked your file and talked to my team about your remarks as the recognition of our valued IHG Rewards Club members has utmost priority at Hotel Indigo Berlin - Alexanderplatz. According to your platinum member status we have upgraded you to a room of the deluxe category with a size of 23 sqm. The room features a 180 cm kingsize bed, a big sofa, a work desk, drapes and dark curtains. I am very sad to read that the size and amenities did not fulfill your expectations.

Since autumn 2013 IHG rewards club members with platinum status receive on check in at all IHG properties a welcome drink & snack voucher or 600 IHG Rewards Club points extra . Please let us know what we can improve on this procedure. According to the privileges of a platinum member you have received a complimentary late check out during your stay.

Dear JLK1969, letting you leave with mixed emotions makes me very unhappy. You can contact me anytime on dirk.dreyer@hotelindigoberlin.com.