“Fantastic hotel in a fantastic location!”

Hotel Indigo Berlin – Centre Alexanderplatz
Ranked #67 of 634 Hotels in Berlin
Reviewed April 12, 2014

What a fantastic hotel with very friendly and helpful staff. The room we had was very spacious with a massive bathroom. Everything was clean and tidy. The Aveda products in the bathroom were lovely. It had a lovely atmosphere and very relaxing. The channels on the TV were ok but to be honest you are never in the hotel to watch them anyway!

The bed was lovely and very comfortable. Pillows were a bit soft but after a day walking around berlin and a drink in the bar it won't matter anyway!

Breakfast was continental which is what you would expect but I would have preferred a bit more choice. Having said that there was enough there. We never ate in the restaurant in the evening.

The hotel is centrally located (once you can find it!) and the staff are very knowledgeable and will give you directions along with what u-bahn or s-bahn to get... or like us we just walked... and walked.... There were a couple of bar staff in the afternoon who were fantastic with very good service. My only comment would be that I wished the evening staff were as friendly but that is a minute detail.

We would definitely return to Berlin and stay in the Hotel Indigo. I think we would also look at staying in other Indigo hotels.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
dirkdreyer, Manager at Hotel Indigo Berlin – Centre Alexanderplatz, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2014

Dear celtiscosham,

thanks a lot for your booking at Hotel Indigo Berlin - Alexanderplatz and for taking the time to write a tripadvisor review. I am so happy to read that you have enjoyed the atmosphere, the design and the amenities. I look forward to reading your compliments and comments to our staff to my team and I thank you for your valuable feedback,

We are happy that your first Hotel Indigo experience has been such a good one and we are excited, that we have made you a good introduction to the Hotel Indigo brand. We are looking forward to your next check in at Hotel Indigo Berlin - Alexanderplatz or at any other Hotel Indigo.

Kind regards,

General Manager Hotel Indigo Berlin - Alexanderplatz

Write a ReviewReviews (1,769)

Reviewed April 6, 2014

Booked a 5 night rewards trip with my wife.
Pros:
Clean, modern, very friendly staff, nice TV and Coffee Machine, great shower! Great location near Alex
Cons:
VERY small rooms and VERY small beds. (1.60 mtr wide). I am used to this size alone when I travel, with 2 people it was very small (both room and bed). Very cramped feeling. Black out curtains would be nice, as there was much light coming in from the outside (inner courtyard) which was difficult for me to sleep in.

I was greeted as a platinum elite member of their rewards program, but my "reward" was a beer (and snack that was not served) in the bar, and after noticing my eyes after getting the one voucher, the reception worker gave my wife a voucher as well. By calculations alone, the reward for being a platinum member in this hotel must be worth €10 (the value of the 2 beers). I would have much rather been given an upgrade into a larger room instead.

Overall: due to the size of the room, I would not stay here again.

Room Tip: Courtyard is quiet (a little noise on the Friday night we were there) but bright.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
dirkdreyer, Manager at Hotel Indigo Berlin – Centre Alexanderplatz, responded to this reviewResponded April 7, 2014

Dear JLK1969,

many thanks for staying at Hotel Indigo Berlin - Alexanderplatz and for taking the time to write a tripadvisor comment. I am very happy about the 'Pros' you have listed and that you liked the location, the cleanliness and the friendliness of the staff.

I have checked your file and talked to my team about your remarks as the recognition of our valued IHG Rewards Club members has utmost priority at Hotel Indigo Berlin - Alexanderplatz. According to your platinum member status we have upgraded you to a room of the deluxe category with a size of 23 sqm. The room features a 180 cm kingsize bed, a big sofa, a work desk, drapes and dark curtains. I am very sad to read that the size and amenities did not fulfill your expectations.

Since autumn 2013 IHG rewards club members with platinum status receive on check in at all IHG properties a welcome drink & snack voucher or 600 IHG Rewards Club points extra . Please let us know what we can improve on this procedure. According to the privileges of a platinum member you have received a complimentary late check out during your stay.

Dear JLK1969, letting you leave with mixed emotions makes me very unhappy. You can contact me anytime on dirk.dreyer@hotelindigoberlin.com.

Kind regards,

Reviewed April 2, 2014

Lovely hotel in a great location. Pillows very soft but I'm sure if we'd asked we might have been able to get firmer ones. Also stated that slippers and robes were provided but none were in the room.
Reception staff very helpful and friendly.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
dirkdreyer, Manager at Hotel Indigo Berlin – Centre Alexanderplatz, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2014

Dear 262Normans,

many thanks for staying with us at Hotel Indigo Berlin - Alexanderplatz and for your review. We are so happy to read that you had a good time in Berlin. We have seven pillow in all rooms but also offer the full IHG pillow menu on request. Just ask at the reception. I am very sorry that we have missed supplying the bathrobe and slippers. We are always happy to bring missing items, additional towels, iron board and iron etc to your room.

We hope to see you soon again. Best regards from all of us at Hotel Indigo !

Reviewed March 27, 2014

First trip to Berlin. Easy journey from Schoenefeld Airport via train to Alexanderplatz, then approx. 3 minute walk to Hotel. The hotel itself is modern/contemporary with very friendly and informative staff. My room was on the 3rd floor overlooking the courtyard and was extremely quiet, it provided everything I could possibly require and was very clean. The breakfast choice was wide and varied.

The Hotel is conveniently located, there are tram and bus stops in the immediate vicinity but I preferred to walk to the sights e.g. Brandenburg Gate, Reichstag, Checkpoint Charle & The Topography of Terror etc. Which I found to be easily reachable with a leisurely stroll.

Overall Berlin is very a interesting city and I would highly recommend the Hotel Indigo.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Andrew L
dirkdreyer, Manager at Hotel Indigo Berlin – Centre Alexanderplatz, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2014

Dear Andrew L,

thank you very much for your booking at Hotel Indigo Berlin - Alexanderplatz and for your tripadvisor review. It is great to read that you enjoyed exploring the neighbourhood by foot. You are right - there are countless sights, culture- and shopping attractions around the hotel. And the nearby TV tower sticks like a needle on a map right in the centre of the reunited city of Berlin.

We hope to see you soon again as there is still so much to do and to see in Berlin. Bis bald !!

Reviewed March 26, 2014

Nice and modern hotel with friendly staff, good breakfast and an interesting mini-gym, centrally located, but with little of interest in its immediate vicinity. Loved the nice room on the top floor with high ceilings and balcony as well as the fresh juices for breakfast. Rain showers are also nice.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

Dear wicketo,

thank you so much for staying with us at Hotel Indigo Berlin - Alexanderplatz and for your excellent feedback. I am delighted that almost one year after your stay with us last summer you still have such a positive memory of your Hotel Indigo experience. We truly hope you return soon again so you can refresh your impression. We look forward to seeing you soon !

Reviewed March 26, 2014

First time visit to Berlin and found the city extremely interesting, our visit was for five days and we found lots to see, there were many highlights including our guided tour of the Reichstag, and our trip to the concentration camp north of Berlin. But to the hotel: it is well located for train and trams, although we walked almost everywhere - the Brandenburg Gate is about a 30 minute walk. The reception staff were very helpful and happy to assist with any enquiries we had. The rooms are not big but adequate; very clean, had coffee making facilities (but difficult to operate until we found the instructions and then got the hang of it). Beds were comfortable, we were on the 8th floor and never had any problems with noise. The only downside was that the room was very hot and the air conditioning was not working - mentioned it at reception and apparently it was down to switch over between seasons - didn't quite understand and we merely opened the window at night. Breakfast was satisfactory, not great but more than adequate. We didn't eat in the restaurant and drinks were fairly expensive - cocktails were 9euros - we didn't have many.
All in all I would have no hesitation revisiting the hotel if I am back in Berlin.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor as lower rooms can apparently be a bit noisier

Dear Jim L,

many thanks for choosing Hotel Indigo Berlin - Alexanderplatz and for your tripadvisor review. I am very pleased that you have enjoyed your time in Berlin and your stay at the hotel. We would love to have you soon again with us and we are looking forward to your next check in at Hotel Indigo.

Reviewed March 25, 2014

I booked directly on the hotel website for two nights in a Standard Room towards the end of April, 2013 and was coming to the end of my tour of the major European cities of London, Paris and Berlin. I’d just stayed in the Swissôtel in Berlin and thought that staying in a section formerly part of East Berlin would be interesting.

Arrival

I arrived via taxi from the Swissôtel, which was waiting just outside the Swissôtel entrance. Unfortunately, the driver had a tough time locating this hotel and I was told that the streets in Berlin are always changing due to new construction and that buildings are sprouting up so the building housing this hotel was clearly one of the new ones recently built. The street did not show up on the GPS system, as it was new.

After an effort and with the knowledge that it was located near other landmarks such as the Holiday Inn, the hotel was finally located. There wasn’t really a proper drop-off area but only the street served for the purpose and I carried the luggage into the hotel. No luggage assistance was provided and it didn’t look like the hotel would provide any in the normal circumstances.

The check-in process was friendly but it was clearly not the place for fawning service, much like the Aloft Sentral in Kuala Lumpur in Malaysia actually, where I had stayed just a couple of weeks earlier. The area was uniquely styled and made to look like a library but an unconventional and artistically appointed one.

The Standard Room

I carried the luggage through the lift and into my room. The design of the hotel was certainly unconventional with a trendy and more modern and slightly quirky tone to it all. I thought of the W Hotels from Starwood (as well as the Aloft from the same brand) and the equivalent from the Hyatt brand would perhaps be the Andaz.

I liked the design of the room. It clearly had a trendy feel to it and felt clean and certainly was cleaned after housekeeping did their job the next day. The bed was either a queen or king-size one or in between. It was comfortable but like the Swissôtel where I had just stayed, seemed on the hard side and I’m not sure if that is a unique German characteristic. The bedsheets and duvets as well as pillows were more impressive than the mattress and felt soft and comfortable.

The flooring was quite nice, being a genuine type of solid wood. The workdesk was relatively small and had an interesting hanging lamp above the desk. Internet access was complimentary but only up to a limit and the speeds were quite alright.

I had a room with a balcony, which on review looks perhaps larger than the standard rooms as featured on the hotel’s website. The balcony faced the centre courtyard of the hotel and such was the view available from the room. Given the room aspect, there were no noise issues from trams on the street as mentioned in some reviews. However, there appeared to be some noise leakage from the next room, as I could almost make out a conversation while lying in bed in the evening.

It was nice to see a Bosch coffee machine and supplied coffee and tea capsules. At first, I had a little difficulty working out how to operate the machine but eventually figured it out. It was nice to see power points in abundance throughout the room.

The bathroom bordered on the small but was still more than capable of providing a good shower with a rainshower unit included. My shower didn’t face the bedroom, as in some previous reviewers’ case. Instead, the shower faced the balcony which wasn’t a major issue as I could block off the view outside to the balcony with curtains. It would indeed have been possible to see through to the shower from outside the glass panel but a conscious effort in that direction would have been required. I found the artwork on the shower glass panel to be interesting, as were the other pieces in the other parts of the room. I’m not entirely sure they would be suitable for a younger audience but that would be a matter of opinion.

The room on the whole was quite spacious and not really small but the set-up made moving around a little difficult and the format did not really give a sense of spaciousness. My luggage cases were placed near the entrance so out of the way but it did make moving to the bathroom and minibar and tea and coffee area a little more difficult although I note that luggage cases can be stored under the bed if desired.

Please note that I have videos of the hotel room available through the link in my profile section.

Location and Public Facilities

The hotel’s location was convenient although it does depend on what sights are desired. I wanted to get a taste of the former East Berlin and that’s exactly what I received. The architecture in the immediate area could be considered grim by some but that was what I was looking for and it made a nice contrast with the western parts of Berlin. I also appreciated Alexanderplatz nearby, which was huge and quite obviously captured the spirit of a different philosophy and perspective from a now bygone era. Apart from its ability to evoke such a spirit, the square also had convenient eateries and shopping available. I particularly liked the large and imposing Galeria Kaufhof building with its varied shopping inside (I liked the food section). Together with the TV Tower, the buildings certainly provoked an austere sensation. The Mitte area also had newer buildings and I was able to find another supermarket within walking distance. Alexanderplatz also has a subway station (U-Bahn), which can be used to connect efficiently with the Berlin subway and train network. The stop for the Berlin bus city tour wasn’t too far away either.

I took breakfast twice in the hotel’s restaurant and found the quality to be good. As was common in Europe, the range wasn’t extremely comprehensive but there was enough there to keep me satisfied. The breakfast attendants were helpful; I somehow managed to spill the coffee over a wide area as I didn’t open the jug top properly before pouring and they didn’t raise a fuss but just helped to clean up the mess.

The lobby was stylish but I did notice a crowd of sorts there many times. Perhaps the level of space offered wasn’t quite adequate as it did seem full at times with luggage and persons. The other areas of the hotel were also modern with a unique and creative vibe.

Staff Service

The staff were helpful at all times. I wouldn’t describe the service culture here as being over-the-top friendly but such a style wouldn’t have been suitable. I asked a few questions and the reception attendant answered them all informatively so nothing really further could be expected.

Conclusion

It was an interesting stay here with the unique room and public area designs, contrasting quite sharply with the immediate surroundings. Importantly, the hotel provided a sense of comfort and dependability and was certainly a very good base to explore the eastern part of Berlin as well as the city more generally.

NOTE: I have videos of the hotel room available through the link in my profile section.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
dirkdreyer, Manager at Hotel Indigo Berlin – Centre Alexanderplatz, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2014

Dear perryw,

thank you so much for this review which is by far the longest and most detailed comment that we have ever received on tripadvisor. Many thanks for taking the time to write such a valuable report about your experience at Hotel Indigo Berlin - Alexanderplatz. I highly appreciate your efforts and I am honored to receive such good feedback from a well - traveled expert. I have also enjoyed viewing the videos on your youtube channel - really amazing !

Since your stay last year we have added many improvements in service and amenities and as Berlin is ever-changing anyway we would be very happy to see you again in the near future. You can contact me anytime on dirk.dreyer@hotelindigoberlin.com.

Once again thank you very much for staying with us. Best regards from the whole team,