“Modern hotel in great location”

Hotel Indigo Berlin – Centre Alexanderplatz
Ranked #62 of 633 Hotels in Berlin
Reviewed July 28, 2013

This hotel is in a perfect location to explore Berlin. Although after spending four nights there I feel like we barely touched the surface!
Alexanderplatz and the TV tower are about a 5 minute walk away. Many of the walking & cycling tours leave from there. I can recommend two; the Fat Tire cycling tour will give you an excellent overview of all the main tourist attractions in the city and the alternative berlin walking tour will show you the other side of Berlin - the non-touristy, gritty, 'real' Berlin.
There are also several public transport options leaving from Alexanderplatz which will get you anywhere you want to go in the city.
There are very few eating/ drinking options near the hotel. I would recommend walking (about 20 mins) over to the Mitte area where you can find great bars, cafes, restaurants as well some pretty decent fast-food/ take-away options.
My boyfriend and I ate in the hotel bar on our first night as we were tired after travelling. The food was pretty good (we had hamburgers) but I'd only use it for the same reason - you are too tired to walk anywhere else.
One night we grabbed some food from the supermarket and walked about 20 minutes to a nearby park and had a picnic which I'd recommend doing if the weather is right. When we went it was a warm Saturday evening and seemed to be the 'local' thing to do!
We didn't have the breakfast as it seems a bit expensive at 19 euros. We picked up filling sandwiches/ pastries and coffee down in Alexanderplatz for half that price for the two of us.
In terms of shopping there is a big galleria as well as another big shopping mall (with H&M, Zara etc) 5 mins away, down in Alexanderplatz. If you are looking for small boutique type shops walk over to the Mitte area for some really great shopping.
Now to the hotel itself. The room was great - very modern, exceptionally clean and a good size by European standards (I had no trouble opening my suitcase after re-arranging the furniture slightly). The most important thing to me in a hotel is clean, good quality towels and bed linen - white, of course! Hotel Indigo didn't let me down.
The only flaw in the room is the slightly see-through bathroom wall. While it is trendy, it is not practical. It wouldn't stop me from staying there again but it just meant my poor boyfriend had to sit still in one place on the bed whenever I used the toilet! Otherwise, the bathroom was excellent and had a great, powerful shower.
We were on the fourth floor on the street side and had no complaints about the noise from the street. You can hear the trams but not loudly; there is good air-con in the room so there is no need to open the window.
The fitness room is fantastic. The best I have used in any hotel actually. It has 3 treadmills, 2 cross trainers, a bike, free weights as well as a weights machine. All really good quality and...working!
We are travelling with a car which we could park on the street outside the hotel for 16 Euro per day. I believe there is an undercover garage a bit further away where you can park for 20 Euro per day.
A couple of small nitpicking points: The lifts in the hotel are a bit slow as they always seem to be in high demand by both guests and staff. I also had trouble working the TVs (both in our room and in the fitness room). My boyfriend managed to figure them out but maybe management could leave a set of instructions for us mere mortals.
Overall, I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
dirkdreyer, Manager at Hotel Indigo Berlin – Centre Alexanderplatz, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2013

Dear KimberleyMD,

thank you for chosing Hotel Indigo Berlin - Alexanderplatz for your Berlin stay. I am delighted to read your feedback and I have to say, this is by far the longest and most detailed review we have ever received. Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience with the tripadvisor community. Your feedback is very valuable to Berlin visitors and to us.

I am very glad to read that you enjoyed your stay that much and that you liked our design and facilities. I will follow up on your note regarding the usability of the TV. As we offer free SKY TV channels and the guest information system on the screen there are some extra buttons to push. Nevertheless we will try to make the usage more easy.

Dear KimberlyMD, once again thank you very much for your 5 stars. Please contact me before your next stay with us on dirk.dreyer@hotelindigoberlin.com

Reviewed July 26, 2013

This is a newish hotel in the same building as the Holiday Inn. It is a very good location close to shops and the station and you can walk to a lot of the main attractions in Berlin. It has a Berlin wall themed decor and the carpet is patterned like concrete which is a cute idea but looked dirty. It is also a non smoking hotel.

I am a Platinum priority rewards member but that was no acknowledged. Check in was abrupt and unfriendly. Though the quality of staff at reception seemed to vary over the week and at times was almost friendly.

The rooms are small even by european standards but the is a clever use of space. there is a glass panel between the bedroom and bathroom which seems to be a bit of a trend at the moment, if a little disconcerting.

Our room faced the inner courtyard and as it was summer the noise from people drinking and smoking in the courtyard travelled up at night making sleep difficult. A couple of mornings the courtyard was cleaned with at jet water spray at 5.30am and it sounded like a jet aeroplane was taking off just metres away. The only pillows available are feather pillows so if you require a firm pillow you will have to go down to the local department store and spend €25 as I did.

There is quite a bit of petty pilfering from the room by the cleaning staff. The first day my travel knife was taken so I went and confronted the staff member and was able to get it back. However during the course of the week so many small items were taken that I lost track. There is only so much that you can stuff inside that small safe. I have been travelling overseas every 10 weeks for the last 25 years and this is the first time anything on this scale has ever happened to me. I was quite unnerved.

The buffet breakfast was quite good though expensive and if you go towards the end of the breakfast period the staff are quite passive aggressive.

I think there are probably better hotel options in the area and I would not stay here again or recommend this hotel to my friends.

Room Tip: Don't get a courtyard room in summer as it is too noisy. the street rooms might have the trams b...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank ddexter
dirkdreyer, Manager at Hotel Indigo Berlin – Centre Alexanderplatz, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2013

Dear ddexter,

thank you very much for your feedback. Please allow me to respond to your remarks.

You received the full Priority Club platinum member treatment on check in - including a complimentary upgrade, welcome letter, fruit basket and newspaper. I am sad to read your comment on the attitude of our staff, this is of course not acceptable. Nevertheless we receive a lot of very positive feedback on the friendliness of  our front office crew in general.

We have offered you our pillow menu consisting of five different pillows. So far every guest at Hotel Indigo Berlin - Alexanderplatz has found his favorite pillow to guarantee a good night's sleep. Regarding the noise you mentioned, I have absolutely no idea, what noise at 5:30 in the morning could have disturbed you on three days in a row. The courtyard is closed from 22:00 - 8:00am and there are no cleaning- or gardening works starting before 10:00 am.

I got reported from my housekeeping staff that they took your knife by mistake when they were clearing away your fruit basket. It might have been covered by a napkin? Please accept our sincere apologies for that.

Whenever our guests are facing any kind of inconvenience during their stay we kindly ask them  to contact the staff instead of writing a frustrated online feedback after their departure. Myself or the Manager On Duty are in the hotel everyday and happy to answer any questions and give immediate reaction and compensation to possible inconveniences.

Dear ddexter, you can contact me anytime on dreyer@hotelindigoberlin.com or +49 30 5050860.

Yours truly, Dirk Dreyer / General Manager Hotel Indigo Berlin - Alexanderplatz

Reviewed July 26, 2013

I was attending an event right around the corner so this hotel couldn't be better located for what I needed. It's a bit of a low-frill hotel combined with boutique all meant in a very positive way. I especially found the staff to be very helpful and professional. I would only dock them a star as I found the room to be a bit small...I was simply expecting a bit more but everything was still very new and comfortable hence not that big an issue. I didn't have any street noise but my room was towards the inner courtyard so none would be expected. Finally, I found the breakfast buffet to be quite boring and a lot of the things on offer weren't really anything special and even looked to some extent to not be very fresh. Very basic fare and hence, breakfast costs them another star in my opinion. Consider this point though only if having breakfast. It's 4 stars without booking that.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
AzureProperties, Front Office Manager at Hotel Indigo Berlin – Centre Alexanderplatz, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2013

Dear Joizee_HD ,

thank you very much for staying in our hotel and your detailed review on Tripadvisor.
It is nice to know that enjoyed your stay although you didn't feel that comfortable with your room size .
If you are going to visit Berlin again, you might watch out for one of our Executive rooms on 10th floor, which are more spacious and offer a balcony as well.
Your comment on our breakfast is a bit surprising to me because our breakfast is made of mostly bio products and freshly set up each day. You might order as much coffee specialities as you want and made to torder eggs. On top we are currently offering a reduced price if you book the breakfast in advance, which will save you 2,- € per breakfast.

Looking forward to welcome you back one day,

Kind regards,
Carsten Brabetz

Reviewed July 23, 2013

This place was so pleasant - the staff were really friendly - greeting you whenever you arrived! check in was smooth and the welcome prosecco was a nice touch.
Room was very modern, a bit small, but everything was there that you needed. Nice bedding and toiletries too plus a up to date coffee machine and reasonable mini bar.
Breakfast was well presented and had nice touches - plenty for everyone to enjoy.
And the hotel is right next to Alexanderplatz - so a perfect base.

Although it did not bother us - some more conservative travellers might not like the glass wall that separates the bathroom from the bedroom!

Dear Pablomj,

thank you for choosing Hotel Indigo Berlin - Alexanderplatz and for your five star review.
It is fantastic to read that you have enjoyed your stay that much as we can see on your profile your are widely-traveled voyager. Whenever you are planning to come back to Berlin please contact me on dirk.dreyer@hotelindigoberlin.com. We have rooms without the glass window at the bathroom - please let us know prior your arrival if you have any special wishes.

Best regards

Reviewed July 14, 2013

This is a a great hotel for a city break, we were generally really pleased with the overall experience although there were a few little niggles. Location wise it is perfect, just out of the main square, a 5 minute walk to alexanderplatz main train and tube station, also just 5 minutes from the start of the bars and restaurants in the area. All of the hop-on, hop-off tour busses go from just around the corner from the hotel too if you were looking to do that, a 2 day ticket was 21 euros and it stopped at all of the sights that most people would want to see. We had 3 great nights sleep in the hotel, it was about 30 degrees when we visited but we slept with the cold air conditioning on which was fantastic. The beds and pillows were so comfortable it was unbelievable, this coupled with the aircon was really good, I suppose a good nights sleep is one of the main things you are looking for in a hotel. It is true what other reviewers have said about hearing the tram go past the hotel but we were on the 6th floor and it certainly wasn't enough to keep us awake or even wake us up at any point in the night, obviously it might be different for people on a lower floor. The room was very modern and spotlessly clean, had a tassimo coffee machine, the bathroom was stylish and the shower room was excellent, a very powerfull shower and a overhead hydroshower style thing too. Breakfast was excellent, we sat outside every morning and we never had to queue for a table or for any food/drinks. There was a great selection of cooked and continental breakfast, as well as cold meats, breads and cheeses they had smoked salmon as well which I enjoyed. The coffee was pretty decent for a hotel too, the breakfast staff were all very friendly, efficient and helpful too. All of the staff in the hotel were generally very good during our stay, reception staff helped us with advice and a few things for the room while we were there. Wifi is free here as well and it worked at a reasonable speed.

A few little bad points that didn't really spoil our stay but are still worth mentioning even if they sound petty...............................................

1) Small rooms - Although I stand by all of the good things I wrote earlier about a clean and modern room and a good nights sleep the rooms are very small. Maybe enough room to walk around the edge of the bed but no more than that. It didn't bother us that much as we were on a city break and didn't spend that much time in the room but some people might be put off by this.

2) No iron or ironing board - Although some people may come to this hotel by car and have there clothes in suit bags surely at least 50% of people coming here have got suitcases and hand luggage with dresses, shirts, trousers in them. I can't believe there are still so many decent hotels that don't have iron/ironing board as a basic room facility. Who wants to wear creased and screwed up clothes straight from a suitcase? Admittedly on request we were sent an iron from reception though but still think the rooms should have one anyway.

3) Stupid glass panelled wall between bedroom and bathroom - I don't care if you have been with your partner for 6 months or 60 years the last thing you want to see is them sitting on the toilet going for a number 2! The wall between the bedroom and bathroom was made of glass, admittedly with a bit of a blacked out picture on it in places but still if you were lay on the bed watching tv and you turned your head or you were walking around the room you could still see through to the toilet, ridiculous, another example of design just for the sake of it or just to look cool.

1  Thank Flashbax

Dear Flashbax,

thank you for choosing Hotel Indigo Berlin - Alexanderplatz and thank you very much for taking the time to write a detailed review. It is great to read that you had a good nights sleep in the air conditioned rooms and that you enjoyed our breakfast in the courtyard.

I would like to respond to your remarks on the room size and amenities. Our standard category is chosen by single traveling businessmen. The rooms are fully equipped with minibar, Tassimo machine, flatscreen with SKY movie channels, cordless phone with free landline calls, free WIFI etc but - I agree with you - they are on the smaller side. For couples we would always recommend to book one of our deluxe rooms which offer way more space.
We are happy to bring you iron and ironing board to your room within 2 minutes, please just ask at the reception.
The glass wall that separates the bathroom from the bedroom has a mural of the Neptunbrunnen, one of the landmarks of Alexanderplatz on it. It is not completely see through but whenever you should feel uncomfortable with this please let us know prior your arrival as we have rooms without the glass wall. You can contact me anytime on dirk.dreyer@hotelindigoberlin.com.

Dear Flashbax, once again thank you for your review. We would be delighted to welcome you in Berlin and at Hotel Indigo again very soon.

Reviewed July 14, 2013

I totally agree with other reviewers about the good location and friendliness of the staff.
We stayed in a suite facing the street and I must admit that there was some noise coming from the tram and cars, even though we were in the highest floor. But the balcony was a nice plus, it was great to sit there and look at the tv tower. Room was very tidy and the bed was really comfy. Good plasma tv.
When we arrived, we were given vouchers to enjoy a glass of cava in the restaurant. Also breakfast was served there and it was really nice to be able to sit outside and enjoy the moment.
The hotel has a gym, which is quite small but adequate. Checkin and checkout were fast.

Dear Eidu,

in the name of the team of Hotel Indigo Berlin - Alexanderplatz I thank you for five star review here on tripadvisor. I am glad you have enjoyed your stay in Berlin and I will forward your excellent feedback to our staff.

We would be very happy to welcome you again in Berlin soon. The city is ever-changing and there are so many things to discover in our neighborhood everyday. You can contact me anytime on dirk.dreyer@hotelindigoberlin.com.

Kind regards

Reviewed July 12, 2013

Everything about our stay here was excellent. The deluxe room was one of the most comfortable we have ever stayed in in our extensive travels around Europe. The staff was attentive and helpful. The location is superb, a few minutes walk from Alexanderplatz, which has U-bahn and S-bahn stations very well connected to the major sites of Berlin. Do visit the bar for a drink.

Room Tip: Choose a deluxe room that overlooks Berlin's iconic TV tower
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear dnayyar,

your your outstanding feedback here on trip advisor made our day. Thank you for choosing Hotel Indigo Berlin - Alexanderplatz and thank you for your five star review. We hope you keep on traveling in Europe and we will have the pleasure to have you here again soon. You can touch base with me anytime on dirk.dreyer@hotelindigoberlin.com.