“Not really a winter destination”

Zoologischer Garten (Berlin Zoo)
Book In Advance
Ranked #35 of 818 things to do in Berlin
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Zoo Berlin is home to over 15.000 rare and endangered animals representing more than 1.500 species and subspecies. It is the most speciose zoo worldwide. Zoo Berlin is located in heart of Berlin, opposite to the train station Zoologischer Garten. The tasks our zoos of today are faced with are many and diverse. And there is more than one reason to keep animals. Since 1844 visitors to Zoo Berlin can relax and learn. Comparable with a living, green oasis the zoo today lies directly at the heart of the city. Here you can relax and learn new facts about the most diverse zoological subjects as your interest takes you.
Useful Information: Activities for young children
Tampere, Finland
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Not really a winter destination”
Reviewed February 27, 2013

Large areas were closed for construction during winter.

Even though the area is relatively large, the animals have quite small cages and look stressed out.

Monkeys were the bright spot, they were very playful and active compared to any other zoo I've visited.

• Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Great Zoo Plenty to See”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

This is probably the second best Zoo I have visited after Sydney. Its size is deceptive but I cannot fault the choice and variety of animals. It has not lost its edge despite no longer having pandas. I'd advise February as a good time - despite the cold weather there were a number of young animals which are always nice to see!!

Edinburgh
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Fantastic Zoo”
Reviewed February 24, 2013

We visited on a wet winters day, so it was very quiet (which meant very easy to get good viewing spots). Its well set out, with a great range of animals and exhibitions. Its easy to get too, with a train stop right next door, and the surrounding area also has plenty of locations nearby, be it the ruined church, or the shopping in the nearby centres and streets

Visited November 2012
Wigan
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“A must see in Berlin”
Reviewed February 20, 2013

You can see Zoo's almost any where but still, a Zoo is a great day out as long as the Animals are maintained properly.
We walked all the way from our hotel located not far from Museum Island to Around KURFURSTENDAMM. We really were not sure if we were heading in the right direction. The Zoo is located in middle of an area of the city which was quite bizarre for me. Id actually expected it to be located in some large gardens.
We entered the Zoo. You then have an option to just visit the zoo or both zoo and aquarium. Well, my Wife and I love a good aquarium so we got both tickets.
The aquarium is great, I really enjoyed it. I was very pleased and fascinated to see a Hammer Head Shark as well as a Sea Snake which Id never seen in captivity before.
The Zoo itself was good. Not too much happening as it was winter and very cold. The usual animals such as Lions and Elephants were on show. I was very amazed to see Gorilla's. I hadnt seen one since Blackpool Zoo in the 1980's.
As a Herpetologist, I really loved the Reptile Room. Just brilliant... some amazing species on show. A beautiful Rattle Snake as well as Crocs and Lizards. I really did enjoy this bit.
I wouldnt go a second time but it's worth a visit if you're staying in Berlin for a few days. Nice day out. Take a pic nic.

Visited March 2012
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
“Really enjoyed our day at the zoo.”
Reviewed February 19, 2013

Visited the zoo on 18 Feb 2013. We went last minute and was worth the visit. Because of the time of year, was very quiet, great for viewing animals without much obstruction. The animals all seemed to be in good health and very frisky, running about and playing together. The exception, was the polar bears, with one of them continually moving back and forth, looked to be a bit distressed. I found that quite sad.
The zebras, hippos, elephants and the big gorilla, were our favourites. One of the giraffes seemed to be pregnant.
All in all, worth a visit, really enjoyed the walk round, even in the snow! Downsides, no map on arrival and not many signs to show you where to go, but if you take it easy and have a relaxing walk round, you should see most things.