“Fantastic Zoo”

Book In Advance
More Info
$45.18*
and up
Berlin WelcomeCard Including Deutsches Currywurst...
Ranked #79 of 974 things to do in Berlin
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Zoo Berlin is home to over 15.000 rare and endangered animals representing more than 1.500 species and subspecies. It is the most speciose zoo worldwide. Zoo Berlin is located in heart of Berlin, opposite to the train station Zoologischer Garten. The tasks our zoos of today are faced with are many and diverse. And there is more than one reason to keep animals. Since 1844 visitors to Zoo Berlin can relax and learn. Comparable with a living, green oasis the zoo today lies directly at the heart of the city. Here you can relax and learn new facts about the most diverse zoological subjects as your interest takes you.
Useful Information: Activities for young children
Reviewed February 24, 2013

We visited on a wet winters day, so it was very quiet (which meant very easy to get good viewing spots). Its well set out, with a great range of animals and exhibitions. Its easy to get too, with a train stop right next door, and the surrounding area also has plenty of locations nearby, be it the ruined church, or the shopping in the nearby centres and streets

Write a ReviewReviews (7,143)
All reviews
"animal enclosures"
in 46 reviews
"animals seem"
in 44 reviews
"wide variety of animals"
in 34 reviews
in 32 reviews
"habitat"
in 69 reviews

Reviewed February 20, 2013

You can see Zoo's almost any where but still, a Zoo is a great day out as long as the Animals are maintained properly.
We walked all the way from our hotel located not far from Museum Island to Around KURFURSTENDAMM. We really were not sure if we were heading in the right direction. The Zoo is located in middle of an area of the city which was quite bizarre for me. Id actually expected it to be located in some large gardens.
We entered the Zoo. You then have an option to just visit the zoo or both zoo and aquarium. Well, my Wife and I love a good aquarium so we got both tickets.
The aquarium is great, I really enjoyed it. I was very pleased and fascinated to see a Hammer Head Shark as well as a Sea Snake which Id never seen in captivity before.
The Zoo itself was good. Not too much happening as it was winter and very cold. The usual animals such as Lions and Elephants were on show. I was very amazed to see Gorilla's. I hadnt seen one since Blackpool Zoo in the 1980's.
As a Herpetologist, I really loved the Reptile Room. Just brilliant... some amazing species on show. A beautiful Rattle Snake as well as Crocs and Lizards. I really did enjoy this bit.
I wouldnt go a second time but it's worth a visit if you're staying in Berlin for a few days. Nice day out. Take a pic nic.

Reviewed February 19, 2013

Visited the zoo on 18 Feb 2013. We went last minute and was worth the visit. Because of the time of year, was very quiet, great for viewing animals without much obstruction. The animals all seemed to be in good health and very frisky, running about and playing together. The exception, was the polar bears, with one of them continually moving back and forth, looked to be a bit distressed. I found that quite sad.
The zebras, hippos, elephants and the big gorilla, were our favourites. One of the giraffes seemed to be pregnant.
All in all, worth a visit, really enjoyed the walk round, even in the snow! Downsides, no map on arrival and not many signs to show you where to go, but if you take it easy and have a relaxing walk round, you should see most things.

Reviewed February 19, 2013

We went over Christmas when Berlin was under snow, the zoo is excellent for a day out and at a bargain price. For 40 euros you can wander around the aquarium and the massive zoo taking in the animals as they eat and play. A lot is said about animals in captivity but I didn't think it was necessarily a problem here, the animals all had quite large areas to roam and we enjoyed every minute of the near 3-4 hours it took. We can't wait to return again this christmas with our little boy!!

4  Thank UKworldtrotters
See more reviews
Reviewed February 17, 2013

This zoo is very much in the same boat as London Zoo back in the UK... There is a fine balance between preserving the old architecture and inovating with new species and concepts... At the same time there is no more room for them to expand in to... However it doesn't really need to expand because it has so much on offer!

There is something here for everyone! No matter which types of animals you enjoy seeing, they will be represented here, whether it is great apes, bears, hoofed animals, reptiles, fish, elephants, giraffes, big cats, penguins, seals... it really is all here! And the mjority of the animals are set out in great enclosures. The Hippopotamus enclosure was a personal favourite... You can see the animals really well both inside and outside their building.

There are some very old enclosures which are still in use but I feel have passed their usefulness for keeping animals... The main one of these is the Baboon rock (which much like London zoos old penguin pool) is an eye sore with some animals on it!

They do a lot ofundeniably great conservation work here and it is a great opportunity to see some very rare animals... Sadly one which I was most looking forward to seeing was the Kiwi which was nowhere to be seen. The book tells you where in the park they are but there are no enclosure signs, so perhaps they are not on display?

Another thing which puzzled us was that we came on a day on which the park was very busy (although granted it was off season), but there were no gift shops open... We like to get some magnets etc from zoos but couldn't find anywhere... perhaps they were just VERY badly sign posted but either way this was a shame.

Finally the biggest disspointment is not the fault of the zoo but did ruin the actual reason for out initial visit to the zoo. We had come just to see the Giant Panda, which passed away only months before we arrived. This is a real shame and it must be said that it is commendable the great work they did with this species... I hope they are blessed with these animals again in the future...

Overall this zoo is a great day out but I did feel that considering its stature it fell short in a couple of departments. I would certainly recommend however that anyone coming to Berlin puts it on their trip list!