“You will be disappointed”

Heart of Gold Hostel
Ranked #14 of 349 Specialty Lodging in Berlin
“You will be disappointed”
Reviewed January 3, 2014

I stayed at this hostel for 5 nights over NYE. I payed €200 for 5 nights, in my room when I was paying €38 for 1 night a boy was paying €7. When approaching the staff they all said " there's nothing we can do" or "what do you want from us"
They were all unhelpful, besides an older lady, a Dane and a Australian guy who was new.
There was no wifi in the rooms they told us, but there was no wifi downstairs either! Trying to connect took hours and was impossible!
There was absolutely no hotwater, it was very poor.
This hostel is nice, average location but it lacks any real redeeming features
I'm very dissapointed with my choice of staying here and would not recommend it!!

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank Eeeeeeefff

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Bratislava, Slovakia
Reviewed December 28, 2013

The hostel is located in one of the most important district in Berlin. You can go to the main places walking only 5 or 10 minutes. It is vey close. The staff are very friendly, so nice. They helped me to find some places, which restaurant I had to go, the timetable of the museums. The breakfast is from 8 - 12. It is very good. Hot coffee (essential) and baked beard with fruits, nutella, ... The best part is the bar in the reception. I went in Christmas and I was surprised with all the people that there were. There are several tables, sofas, a billar table. It is very easy to meet new people to talk. I met one guy from France and he introduce to a lot of people that he knew from the hostel. So kind. The rooms are very clean, the bed is normal, you have to know that is not a suite. the bath room (it is outside your room) is very clean. Also, I was surprised again. I never had to wait to have a shower. There are 3 bathrooms per women, and 3 bathrooms per men in the same floor ( I was in the 1º one). The only thing that I complain it was the wifi, that somtines was so slowly but this was because we were a lot of people in the bar.

I recommend you totally this hostel. I told to my friends to go. I will come back again in september and I will go to the same hostel. Good prices!!!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed December 27, 2013

fantastic location in Berlin's Mitte district, walking distance to basically all of Berlin's most popular sights and nightlife. The staff were very friendly and helpful, and there was a great social vibe and it was easy to meet new friends in the bar. The bathrooms were clean and great quality. Only downside was the wifi was non existent, which could be a bit inconvenient. But apart from that I had an amazing time in Berlin!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain
Reviewed December 19, 2013

The hostel is located close to the city center, friendly staff, clean and nice rooms. There is a big room with a bar on the reception where you can hang out with the friends, have some beers for good price, play billiard...Totally recommend!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed December 16, 2013

Good location, great price, amazing staffs.
I really enjoy my time here at the hostel. The dorm and the bathrooms were always clean. The staffs were incredibly helpful and friendly. There is a tram and metro station 1min walk away! I would gladly recommend this for everyone. (There was even a family staying there with children when I was there, and they seemed satisfied too!)

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed December 12, 2013

I booked online in advance, but it didn`t work. They had a bed for me in a 4-bed-dorm anyway. Bathroom beneath, 2 beer for 2 € during happy hour, very nice, helpful staff. Very close to the metro station... best place to get around, lot of cosy bars around...

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Chicago,Illinois
Reviewed December 3, 2013

I enjoyed my stay at the Heart of Gold Hostel in Berlin, Germany. The 6 person room was very spacious with a large bathroom and shower with great pressure. The staff was very nice, welcoming, and helpful in offering suggestions and providing information regarding directions. My only complaints are that although the hostel offers wifi in the lobby, it is extremely slow because everyone is trying to get on it. Also, the first night, two guests entered our room at 1 am and were extremely noisy, turned on the lights, and took their sweet time setting up their bunks. I wish the hostel would have warned up that there were going to be others coming in and staying in the same room, just so that we would have been prepared instead of being startled awake in the middle of the night.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends