“BIG Disappointment !!!”

Ranked #146 of 634 Hotels in Berlin
A TripAdvisor Member
“BIG Disappointment !!!”
Reviewed February 4, 2009

I booked a deluxe room at the 4 star Angleterre Hotel, and was Hugely disappointed. To call this establishment a 4 star hotel, takes a considerable imagination. I booked a deluxe room, so was expecting it to be a bit special but the room was bland and the furniture tired, it looked as though it had not been updated for 15+ years. Instead of having a double bed as I requested, it had two single beds joined together, each with their own single duvet (which was only the width of the bed, so sleeping without the duvet coming off was a bit of a challenge). So, was unable to actually cuddle up to my husband on what was supposed to be a romantic weekend break. It also had only 1 desk chair in it, in a room clearly designed for two people. If this was their deluxe room, I shudder to think what their standard room was like.

The Room description also said it had a city view, but the view was actually of a car park again a big disappointment. The bathroom was reasonable modern, but had none of the accoutrements one would expect in a deluxe room at a 4 star hotel. No bottles of shampoo, conditioner, shower gel or soap. Instead it had a soap dispenser by the sink and in the bath/shower, the type of arrangement you would expect at a budget hotel such as a Premier Inn or Holiday Inn Express.

The room we had on the first night smelt musty, in fact the whole area on the 3rd floor had that smell. The carpet had some large black stains on it, the walls were marked and the curtains dingy. When we had a word with the reception staff about it after our first night, they changed the room to one on the 4th floor. This room was slightly cleaner, had an additional chair, but still smelt musty as did the entire 4th floor corridor.

On the Plus side the room had very high ceilings and the staff were very helpful and friendly. However, if you are looking for a nice room at a 4star hotel, I would not recommend the Angleterre Hotel to anyone and would advise you stay somewhere else.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Sweden
Reviewed January 6, 2009

Very nice and clean hotel with a really good location (close to both the underground and within walking distance to many sights).

The reception staff spoke good English and all staff were friendly. The breakfast buffé was excellent, with a great variety of dishes.

The only down-side - but for us a big one - is that you are charged when using Wi-Fi.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed December 12, 2008

Spent one night at the Angleterre hotel on a weekend trip to Berlin with a couple of friends. We walked from the recently opened state-of-the-art main railway station, the walk took approximately 30 minutes. In spite of being located on Friedrichstrasse, the Berlin's luxury shopping street, the hotel is in its quieter section pass Check-Point Charlie, conveniently located for most of the major sights that Berlin has to offer. A U-bahn stop is located just outside the hotel.
The staff were friendly and helpful and we received a free upgrade since there were no rooms left in our room class. They also offered a room with a view for additional 20 euros. We did not take it and ended up in one of their inner yard rooms. The room was spacious enough, very clean, though a bit boring and the inner court space just is not very cozy, it is bit of a big glass chimney that made me feel slightly claustrophobic. But no complaints about the room as such.
Breakfast in the morning was very nice, with many different choices. The fourth star in my review goes for that, otherwise it would have been a 3-star rating. But as I said it is more about my feeling rather than about anything being wrong with the hotel.

• Liked — location, people and breakfast
  • Disliked — the inner year view and that the room lacked character
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with friends
London
Reviewed November 7, 2008

Hotel was nice and clean, didn't have any problems with noisy parties or anything like that (mentioned in previous reviews). In one of the reviews I had read someone mentioned fake minibar charges so I was paying a little more attention to what was in the room and realised that things were added to my room on my second day. (bottle of wine and some crisps from what I could tell) which by itself is no worries at all since the maid might have forgotten. HOWEVER upon checkout I was presented with a 6 item bill for a total of 24EUR which I refused to pay. Interestingly enough the receptionist was very quick at cancelling the bill and making me sign that I hadn't taken anything which makes me believe that this wasn't the first time that happened.

The hotel is very nice and central but I don't expect 4 star hotel staff to try and rip me off. BE CAREFUL and REFUSE to pay for stuff that you haven't taken.

• Disliked — fake minibar charges
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank southwark77
Ireland
Reviewed November 1, 2008

Location is excellent with the U ban right on the door, very easy to get to from Shonefeld airport.

I had booked through Hotels.com and booked an economy room, when we got there we were offered a suite for an additional €20 extra per night. We'd a look at the room and decided against- spend the money on a nice meal instead. Considering it was a suite there was nothing 'suite like' about it. It looked excactly like the economy room but just had an extra room with chairs in it and we felt we would't use.

We didn't opt for the breakfasts there which are €15 each - this is very expensive especially considering across the road there are numerous little restaurants offering very nice breakfasts for half the price.

Overall rooms are VERY CLEAN, our room was right at the top - 6th floor, it was extremely quiet - not once in the 4 days we were there did we hear others.
Maid service was excellent- gave clean towels everyday.
Reception staff are friendly and helpful.

The hotel rates themselves as a 4 star which I would not say!
Its the little things like no tea making facility in the room and water was overpriced in the mini-bar etc.
One evening we opted for one of the movies they offer as there was limited english speaking channels (1 had no sound) Video cost €15

Would I stay there again- probably not (personal choice).
Don't get me wrong- the hotel really is fine and you should have no problems - I can't really fault Hotel Angleterre in specifc. its okay. If you are just looking for a base then its perfectly fine.

• Liked — Quiet
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AileenDublin
Swansea County, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 5, 2008

Great hotel in an excellent location for sight seeing.
About 80m to the nearest underground station of Check point Charlie (Kochst on the purple U6 underground)
We came from Tegel airport and it really is VERY easy with the public transport system. At the airport buy a City Tour Card (1 to 3 days) this gives you unlimited travel on buses, trams the U & S bahn as well as extra discounts into tourist attractions.
We got a 3 day one for our visit for zones A-C around E22.
From the airport to the hotel you only need zones A - B but for the sake of E2 we opted for all zones.
Take the 128 bus to the U6 station of Kurt- Schumacher-Platz , and then the underground staight to CPCharlie (heading towards Alt-Mariendorf direction)
Make sure you validate your ticket the first time you use it - they have the little machine on the bus that you frank it in. You dont need to do it again.
The hotel we found to be excellent with the all staff we came into contact with helpful and polite.
The room was modern and clean. The beds were comforable and the bathroom was lovely. We were on the 6th floor and it was quiet the 3 nights we were there.
In the reception there is a computer and printer available free, so we were able to check in the day before for our flight home and print off our boarding cards, saving us another hour wait at the airport.
The total travel time from hotel to airport was 40 mins but i would allow 50 to be on the safe side.
The service in the bar (Speakers Corner) was friendly and its a relaxing place for a night cap.
We only ate breakfast in the restaurant which was plentiful but at E15 we thought a bit pricey. Right opp the hotel is a nice coffee house with lovely cakes and sandwiches for half the price.
One last recomendation - a lovely Italien restaurant called Parlamento on Bergmannstrasse 3. 2 stops on the U6 to Mehringdamm and a short walk down the main road 3rd road on the left. The food was delicious, service freindly & fun and you can even watch them cook your meal. The meal was extremely good value for money and if i ever go back to Berlin I will be making a bee line there again along with the hotel Angleterre

• Liked — helpfulness of the staff and location
  • Disliked — usual city prices for the meals / drinks
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Xhe1d1
Cardiff
Reviewed September 22, 2008

Stayed here 1 night prior to a Hearing at the European Patent Office. Taxi form Schonelfeld Airport is 35euros and takes 25mins. Arrived late: the hotel bar and restaurant (Speakers Corner) serve food until 11pm but there are some restaurants up the street near Checkpoint Charlie. Rooms are very clean modern and comfortable. I upgraded to a bigger room when I got there for 10euros. The broadband for 24hrs costs 15eur which is a bit expensive. The nice buffet breakfast was15eur. It's in a quiet neighbourhood and there seemed to be free on street parking if you rent a car. Alexander Platz, the Bradenburg Gate and Potzdamer Pl are all 20 mins walk. You can pick up a hop on/off bus tour at Checkpoint Charlie, which a good wat to see the city 15eur. Would definately stay there again.

• Liked — Location and Cleanlinesss
  • Disliked — Price of the extras
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)