“Good hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Brisbane, Australia
“Good hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2014

The ritz is a beautiful hotel chandeliers in bathroom lots of marble and polished wood
Service Receiption and restaurants very professional and good and friendly
But
I would rather have free wifi in room and a kettle and tea and coffee than chandeliers and marble
Great location and lovelynlobby

1 Thank nonna54

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (274)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2014

I stayed here for a weekend and left wishing I had booked another few nights. By far the best hotel in Berlin. The first night I spent there, I came to find out that my room was unfortunately next to the service room so there were persistent sounds of doors opening and closing and the sound of the service elevator all night. Fortunately, I explained the situation to the kind people at the front desk who were more than happy to move me to a different (and upgraded room).
The location of this hotel is ideal, just a few steps away from the Brandenburg gate, shopping, restaurants, you name it.
Definitely spend some time at the lounge on the lobby floor. The drinks there are exceptional. Overall, an amazing stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is not next to the service room.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2014

Just back from a wonderful holiday and all made memorable due to Ritz Carlton. It was for my 40th birthday and they did all their best to make it a fantastic one. Its a very classy hotel, old charm, impeccable service and brilliant location. Here is why you should stay here:

1. Location, Location, Location. Close to many landmarks, train station, subway, restaurants, bars and shopping centre.
2. Service. We were with our twin toddlers and we all were looked after so well. The girls got a big Ritz Carlton lion stuffed toy on arrival. Our rooms had two cots with baby toiletries. At breakfast they were given their cutlery and everyone was so polite and courteous.
3. The beds. Most comfortable and sleep inducing. Loved the room. We stayed in deluxe room and it was spacious. The bathroom was massive with Asprey toiletries and had heated floors.
4. The concierge. Very friendly. Gave us the most amazing tips. Recommended best restaurants, Go to Peppone Ristorante for the best Italian or Aigner Gendarmenmarkt for the most amazing German/Austrian food. Both advised by the hotel.
5. The breakfast. Very elaborate. We hardly had lunch as the breakfast was so filling and had pretty much everything you could ask for,
6. Curtain Club. For the best cocktails. We had Mandarin Basilic and Aqua Di Gioia by Armani. Strange concept - you drink the cocktail based on the perfume you like. The result - stunning! It felt like nectar. And the hostess explained us the concept and took us to their Fragrance bar/club which is only opened on Fridays and Saturdays.

Forget the Hyatt, Intercontinental and Adlon. Stay here and you won't be disappointed,

Room Tip: Take the room facing the gardens otherwise there is not much of a view from the windows.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank kuks393
Nuremberg, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2014

This hotel has everything going for it except service (more about that coming).

The location is excellent, right on the doorstep of the Postdamer Platz S-Bahn hub, which means that one can catch an S-Bahn or an U-Bahn (stop located just a cross the street) to just about anywhere in Berlin or the Greater Berlin Area. The rooms are spacious and the amenities are of upper class brands. Everything is spotless. Air-conditioning works perfectly and in absolute silence. Nonetheless, this hotel has a service problem, especially during breakfast.

The breakfast is a large buffet, but there is a 'refilling' problem. It happened all too often that a certain something was empty and it took the staff too long to replenish it. Same goes for the breads. It took the staff over half an hour to notice that all that was left on the cutting board were just 2 bread-ends. The staff is walking around the tables inattentive, they do not collect empty plates and if they do end up at your table, they never ask if you would like more coffee, tea, etc. At some point there were no more clean glasses at the juice bar and no member of staff noticed (cared) which resulted in guests scavenging for those on set tables. The hunter-gatherer problem did not stop there. Because the staff could not be bothered with replenishing cutlery/plates/glasses guests helped themselves from neighbouring tables and thus some of the tables ended up looking simply undignified and certainly unworthy of the Ritz name. The staff never noted that and never took action to correct the problem.

Furthermore, upon our arrival the porter (in a quite ridiculous beefeater fancy-dress) didn't notice us but was rather busy chatting to another member of staff. Same happened upon our departure. We were not asked if we needed a taxi or instruction on how to get on... Those things are hardly the end of the world and actually we also know our way about Berlin, but this is the Ritz-Carlton and manners of the staff aught to be a bit better.

And so, this hotel has everything going for it except service and thus it is not on par with such other leading hotels such as the Adlon, Westin Grand or the Hotel de Rome.

Green Features: The usual routine of hang towels for reuse, place in bathtub to be replace.
      Cleanliness
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank 559ThomasD
Montreal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2014

I am a tough client for hotels but the Ritz Carlton in Berlin has it all. First the location is perfect near a train station and a subway. The area is new (where the wall used to be) and has lots of great restaurants. You can walk to the Brandebourg door. The hotel itself is majestic. The room (I stayed in an executive suite) are perfect: lots of space, great bathroom and confortable bed (for Europe). The staff is of 5 star caliber as should be expected. And finally, the breakfast is the best I've had in any hotels (and trust me, I've been to many hotels in my life). Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for a suite.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Washington, DC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2014

I was very excited to stay at a Ritz Carlton for the first time. As an American, the brand is recognized as superior service and top notch experiences. The hotel itself is old world luxury. The building itself was perfectly fine, and I was very happy with the room, lobby, and bar. My biggest problem was with the staff and with the restaurant.

Upon my arrival, I needed some over the counter medication. I discussed this with the concierge and he seemed somewhat reluctant to deal with it. Although he did phone two pharmacies to determine whether they had the medication, I felt he should have been more insistent that he take care of it and then follow up with me. It was clear I was with other people in the bar lounge, and it would have been "Ritz standard" for him to encourage that I return to the bar lounge (or where ever) so I wouldn't be burdened with standing there waiting to figure out what pharmacy had the medication or not. In addition, I felt he could have been more insistent that the hotel picks up the medication. In turn, I went to the pharmacy myself only to learn it was closed. Again, this may be trivial in basic scenarios but this is the Ritz-Carlton!

My second disappointment was the restaurant during breakfast. The hotel offers the typical obscenely expensive breakfast buffet which I'm accustomed to. However, I felt the offerings where very basic - from pancakes and crepes to eggs benedict - all of which sat for quite some time and were not refreshed frequently. If you are interested in a more traditional German breakfast (meats and cheeses) then you'll likely be more satisfied.

On most occasions we would be seated upon arrival, and then more often than not we would have to fight for the attention of a server to get coffee, have plates, cleared, etc. The servers were poorly trained and truly tarnished the reputation of the hotel greatly. One day when we arrived at breakfast we were not seated and were told we may find something in the rear of the restaurant. I was shocked we were summoned without a proper seating, and was only further stunned to see all of the tables in a state of disarray and not cleared. My boyfriend and I literally had to make our own table and scavenge from unused place settings. When we finally got our place settings and returned from the buffet, I had found that someone had the same idea and took my place setting while I was gone.

Again, trivial at a 2 or 3 star hotel, but the Ritz? Disappointing indeed.

Pluses included the bar lounge staff and drinks, location, and hotel room.

Green Features: They actually practiced the idea of not replacing towels unless you toss them on the floor. I'm pleased to see that.
2 Thank travel_dc_2009
RitzCarlton2014, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Berlin, responded to this review, July 16, 2014
Dear travel_dc_2009,

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave your comment. I am very sorry to hear that your experience did not meet your expectations and would appreciate the opportunity to be in touch with you.

Feedback is extremly important to us, and so if you could afford the time, I may be reached directly at this number +49 30 33 777-6002 or by email on Robert.Petrovic@ritzcarlton.com.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely yours,

Robert Petrovic
All over the place
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2014

First time venturing out with our then seven-month-old son. The Ritz Berlin staff made it a pleasure. We were in a mid-size SUV with a roof top box - no problem, the attendant parked it on the curb out front and there it sat for the next two night. Particular highlights were bellman Michael and concierge Marc - truly class acts (as one would expect at a Ritz Carlton). Michael even stopped us on our way home and sent our son with a large stuffed Ritz Carlton lion toy. Also enjoyed High Tea - highly recommended.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family