“Best location, and a very good breakfast”

The Ritz-Carlton, Berlin
Ranked #23 of 634 Hotels in Berlin
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed January 26, 2013

Very nice hotel. Book with breakfast, it's absolutely amazing! A great location for exploring the city, frendly and very helpful staff. Great to jog from the hotel to the nearby park. Spa in the basement, and several restaurants nearby.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank engens
Write a ReviewReviews (2,845)

Reviewed January 25, 2013

We stayed in this wonderful hotel for 9 nights during Christmas and New Years. We stayed on the 9th floor and had a lovely view. We absolutely loved it. Everything was just perfect. We used the Fitness and Spa facilities a few times and were very satisfied. They have great equipment and the pool and jacuzzi were beautiful. We didnt have breakfast at the hotel, they charge very high prices and if you arent a big eater its just not worth it. There are so so many cafes and restaurants in the vicinity. We never ate at their restaurants either but we did have many delicious cocktails at the bar. These cocktails were nothing compared to anything I had ever tasted in my life. They were so incredibly good.
The very high internet charges were the only thing we were not very pleased about and were very pleasantly suprised when they took the internet charge off the bill when we checked out. I recommend it if you want luxury but want to skip the arrogance of many 5 star hotels. And have a cocktail! Please!!!!!!!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 24, 2013

This Hotel is not just a name - it's true to its reputation and this is lived by the highly professional staff. We were fortunate to be on the Executive/Concierge Floor, and this is an absolute pleasure. Of course the location and the city itself really enhance the experience!

Room Tip: Executive Floor is Fabulous
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We had 4 nights here in Jan 2013. This is about the best spot to be in Berlin, close to major sights and with the U Bahn across the road. The hotel is immaculate, lavish and the rooms beautifully finished. The bar and bistro are both wonderfully decorated, and they have a bit of pomp every day with Steve the Beefeater formally opening the Curtain Bar (and chatting with everyone- even Australians - sorry about that Steve)
I'll have my usual whinge about no free wifi, it should be the mark of a 5 star to not charge. (Eg Claridges) rather than gouge a few more quid for this basic service.
Stay there for fun, business or just to be accosted by a man in a red suit and frilled collar!

Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RolFromOz
Reviewed January 22, 2013

I travelled to Berlin recently for business, staying for three nights. The Ritz Carlton gave me everything I needed and performed well.

Room - My deluxe (non-club) room was spacious, with ample working space, large TV, beautiful bathroom with very nice rainfall shower. Bed was very comfortable.

Location - YMMV, but my meetings were all in Mitte, so this was very convenient.

Restaurant - I only ate the buffet breakfast (included in my Ovation rate), and it was excellent. Ample selection (remember that you're in Germany, so ample means many types of sausage, meat, cheese and fish, in addition to nicely done baked goods and the other usual accompaniments.

Fitness Center - A weak spot. The bikes and treadmills need reconfiguration to work correctly, but the company gym had a variety of equipment.

Service - This is where the hotel really shined. Every single interaction with staff delivered exactly what I needed (which was often beyond my request), whether it was having documents printed for me and delivered, restaurant reservations or sightseeing directions, I can't say enough about staff.

Value - Fantastic. A simliar room in London or Paris would be 2-3 times as expensive (Berlin is relatively cheap).

I would definitely return to the R-C.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed January 21, 2013

This hotel is centrally located with subway access across the street. There is also an abundance of taxis outside the hotel. A large shopping complex is located across the street along with a movie theatre.

We booked a Club Level room (10th floor), which is well worth the money. This gives you a dedicated check-in/check-out service with access to a great Club Lounge. The personalized service was a treat, including a special message upon arrival in our room, and on our last night.

In the Club Lounge, a light breakfast is served in the morning, along with snacks throughout the day. Beverages also included. After a long day of touring, retreating here at night was exactly what we needed. Service here was fantastic! During our first night we met Anna. Her shift happened to coincide with our stay so we saw her every night and discussed our day’s adventures. She was wonderful! Excellent service and one of the most pleasant people you will ever meet! The staff here goes the extra mile. On our last night, I was hoping for one last taste of the passion fruit that was available during breakfast. I explained to Anna that the ones we get in Canada are from Columbia, whereas the ones at the hotel were from Vietnam, and well, I love the ones from Vietnam. She informed me that none were available and I thanked her for checking. When returning to our room for the night, there was a note from the Club Level staff (Anna), alongside a plateful of passion fruit! This last touch was icing on the cake on an already wonderful stay.

We would not hesitate to stay here again and highly recommend it.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 19, 2013 via mobile

We decided to splurge and spend New Years festivities in Berlin and stay at The Ritz Carlton. We arrived on Dec 29 and stayed 4 nights. We opted for the Club Room so we could enjoy the lounge and the amenities which included free flow drinks - especially champagne. The room was basic but functional. The bed - typical Ritz Carlton and like sleeping in a cloud. I requested some harder pillows in advance , which were waiting on the bed when we arrived. Internet was included and allowed us to use multiple devices at the same time. The Club floor outside the rooms had a strange odour - almost a sewage smell . Could be the drains ? I wonder why the hotel staff did not notice. It was like that the entire stay. The room itself was fine. One compliant I hope the hotel will acknowledge is the constant banging of doors by the floor staff. Housekeeping continually let doors bang behind them and it was most annoying when trying to rest or take a nap. This went on all day and then during turndown service in the evening. The hotel can't control what guests do - but they can ask their " Ladies and Gentlemen" to try to keep the noise down.
The service in the lounge was good but not stellar. Having to wait and ask for drink refills was annoying. The lounge staff would disappear for long periods of time. Often one would be sitting at the desk helping another guest while no one around to serve. Perhaps due to the holiday schedule they were short staffed. Having said said that everyone was polite and struck up conversation when appropriate. They need to do something about the cd's. - they kept playing 40's big band music over and over. It got boring after a while.
The hotel is in a great location and within walking distance to Brandenburg Gate and all the sites. The old Berlin Wall went right outside the hotel door.
The Curtain Bar is a must. Drinks were fantastic. Dinner in the French Bistro was Fantastic and service impeccable.
I would definitely recommend this hotel and would go again for Silvester Celebrations!

• Stayed: December 2012