“Bliss”

The Ritz-Carlton, Berlin
Ranked #24 of 634 Hotels in Berlin
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Stayed here with my partner in September 2012. We were lucky enough to have a corner room and it was HUGE! Lovely decor and very comfortable and quiet. There was also some lovely touches such as delivery of fresh fruit late afternoon which made us feel special! The staff in the hotel were also incredibly friendly and keen to assist wherever they could. Also a really good location for seeing all the sights and good places to eat and drink within walking distance. The pool and leisure club area is small but lovely and clean, and also pretty quiet. Would definitely recommend!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Yvonnie86
Write a ReviewReviews (2,810)

Reviewed October 21, 2012

This Ritz-Carlton's best feature is its impeccable, warm service. I arrived at the hotel at 8 in the morning due to a very early flight. The front desk staff did their best to get me into a room at the fully-booked hotel without a hint of reproach that I was seven hours early for their check in time. While they were trying to locate an available room, I went to the restaurant for a very nice breakfast. When I requested the bill after the meal, the waiter asked for my room number. I explained that I was too early and didn't have a room yet. He said "ah" in an apologetic tone and didn't charge me for the breakfast. I was very impressed by the way the hotel staff acted like it was the hotel's fault that they couldn't move me into a room right away when I was the one who had arrived too early.

When I was provided a room at around 10 am, I quite liked the spacious unit and the luxurious bathroom with its separate spaces for the toilet, the rain shower, and the huge bathtub. The bed is very comfortable as well.

During the next two days, the gracious service I received everywhere in the hotel, from the concierge who would personally take me outside to point out directions, to the always attentive staff in the bar and afternoon tea lounge, proved to me over and over again that this is a first rate hotel.

I do have one tiny quibble with housekeeping--I am not sure why they insisted on balling up my nightgown and stuffing it among or underneath the folded comforter on the bed, for both days that I was there, even when on the second day I made a point of laying my nightgown over the pillow. I also noticed that the bathroom floor had missed water spots and that the shower had some mildew between the tiles on the wall. These are no big deals and did not detract from overall a wonderful day, but if I had to point out one area the hotel could improve, it would be housekeeping.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 20, 2012

Visited Berlin between 18-20 th of October and had a great time. The greeting was very nice, almost everybody in the hotel is nice and very friendly. Check in was swift , and the best part is the beds those are so comfortable you don't want to get off of them. Facing the famous Sony Centre which has a cinema and a variety of restaurants, also close to a shopping centre and the train station which is 5 mins walk. You can walk 10 mins and get to the centre. Nice experience and beds.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 20, 2012

Great service experience, well appointed rooms and a comfortable bed. Heated floor in bathroom was a real treat. Concierge was amazing. The hotel is housed in a modern building on Potsdamer Platz, which is a convenient location within Mitte. Step inside, and the decor sheds off the modern exterior and attempts to convey an "old world" feel, which doesn't quite work for my taste. But, overall, Ritz-Carlton Berlin gave me a very good experience and I would stay again

Room Tip: Avoid the courtyard rooms that face the other side of the hotel...they can feel a bit closed in
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 20, 2012

I stayed here on a business trip & it was excellent. It was so excellent that when I go back next month I'll stay there again. The service was great, breakfast had a great range of choices, the room was big & comfortable & the location is excellent. Everywhere is just a short walk from here or a metro ride & it is surrounded by restaurants serving all types of cuisines & budgets. The Curtain Bar had a great piano man playing & the atmosphere after a long business day was totally relaxing.

It was truly enjoyable & I highly recommend it.

Room Tip: I think they would all be good.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 19, 2012

We only stayed here for the one night and we loved it! The locations is great! We didn't have a map with us and had no idea where this was located compared to everything else so we just went for a walk and found all the sites very easily. The hotel itself is beautiful. We always travel on a tight budget but decided to stay here for the night before we started a tour. Well worth the price. We stayed in a standard room and it was huge. The room was very clean and the staff were very helpful and nice. I would love to stay here again!!!! Can't recommend it enough.

Room Tip: We stayed in a standard room and it was huge and lovely so I think you're going to be fine with...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 18, 2012

This hotel has a beautiful physically plant with richly decorated halls and rooms and very attractive public areas. It has the quality and luxury you expect from a Ritz Carlton. The rooms are large (about 420 sq ft) with comfortable beds. The all marble bathrooms feature two sinks and separate shower with rainforest shower head and tub. The club lounge is also beautiful and has two large screen apple computers. The staff at the club lounge is terrific, very friendly and eager to help. The breakfast buffet is outstanding with wide choices of foods, cooked to order eggs and crepes, and many other hot and cold offerings. Having said all of this, I wondered if management was cutting costs to get a better bottom line. This is the only Ritz Carlton that did not offer mouth wash as part of its toilet items in the bathroom and the toilet items offered (shampoo, conditioner etc) were not of the quality expected at the Ritz. Every time I entered an elevator I noticed the carpet had not been vacuumed as there were always items on the carpet. I went to the spa at least 6 times during my stay and there was never an attendant at the spa desk and I only saw an attendant one time in the spa. Many times there were used towels on the floor or unoccupied lounges and several times no towels available. The spa had no individual soap, shampoo, combs or other items available. Even the one hair dryer in the men’s section did not work the entire week I was there. There also no instructional signs or employees to tell you the rules of using the spa. In one room of the spa there is a sauna and a cold plunge pool and two semi open showers. In a second area there is a nice size indoor pool and a whirlpool for 3/4 people. On two occasions in the sauna area there were both men and women nude using the facility; the following days a father and his young boys (under 11) were in the same sauna area. Without instructions, I am sure many times the nude people and the children would meet each other. Also there is usually instructions that the whirlpool and sauna are not to be used by children; but no such instructions here and children were constantly using the whirlpool. But the major reason I questioned management’s cutting costs is the food and beverage offerings in the club level. I travel extensively and have been at over a dozen club levels of different Ritz Carlton and an equal number or more of other chains. This Ritz Carlton is at the lowest end of the scale of Ritz Carltons for food and beverage in the club level and is midway in the scale of the other hotel brands. First, there is no self serve of soft drinks, coffee, wine, beer or liquor. Everything has to be ordered and delivered by the staff. Unfortunately, as the staff gets busy filling drink orders, there is nobody at the club desk to help guest with other issues. The breakfast display of foods is minimal; cereal, some rolls, yogurt, small fruit offerings, basically a minimal continental breakfast. It was not until 4 days in my stay that I saw a guest eating eggs that I asked if I could order eggs. It was then I was told it was included in the breakfast. There was no menu on the table or other information that would have told me eggs, cheese, meats, and fish could be ordered. The offerings at lunch and dinner were what you would expect at a Hilton, not a Ritz Carlton. The only hot offering was soup at lunch. Also at lunch was a 1" by 2" cucumber sandwich and a sandwich loaded with mayo with a slice of ham and cheese. Both lunch and dinner offered cheese, sliced meats and bread and salad. In addition at dinner, there were 3 offerings each in a silver spoon; perhaps a small cold quiche or piece of ham or something similar. Also these limited offerings reappeared daily. Oh yes, there was always available Mars bars, snickers and other candy, potato chips, and pretzels. Having just experience the Ritz Carlton in Istanbul with unlimited self service of coffee, liquor, wines, champagne, and soft drinks, and with three hot offerings at lunch and dinner (a fish, a pasta, and a meat dish) plus a soup, and with a wide variety of cold mezzes and salads, I was very disappointed. All in all, notwithstanding the above, I really like the hotel and would certainly stay again in the club level. I just hope management reads this review and fixes the problems.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple