“Great service but overly traditional design”

The Ritz-Carlton, Berlin
Ranked #22 of 634 Hotels in Berlin
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
New York City
“Great service but overly traditional design”
Reviewed October 20, 2012

Great service experience, well appointed rooms and a comfortable bed. Heated floor in bathroom was a real treat. Concierge was amazing. The hotel is housed in a modern building on Potsdamer Platz, which is a convenient location within Mitte. Step inside, and the decor sheds off the modern exterior and attempts to convey an "old world" feel, which doesn't quite work for my taste. But, overall, Ritz-Carlton Berlin gave me a very good experience and I would stay again

Room Tip: Avoid the courtyard rooms that face the other side of the hotel...they can feel a bit closed in
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (282)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Doha, Qatar
Reviewed October 20, 2012

I stayed here on a business trip & it was excellent. It was so excellent that when I go back next month I'll stay there again. The service was great, breakfast had a great range of choices, the room was big & comfortable & the location is excellent. Everywhere is just a short walk from here or a metro ride & it is surrounded by restaurants serving all types of cuisines & budgets. The Curtain Bar had a great piano man playing & the atmosphere after a long business day was totally relaxing.

It was truly enjoyable & I highly recommend it.

Room Tip: I think they would all be good.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed October 19, 2012

We only stayed here for the one night and we loved it! The locations is great! We didn't have a map with us and had no idea where this was located compared to everything else so we just went for a walk and found all the sites very easily. The hotel itself is beautiful. We always travel on a tight budget but decided to stay here for the night before we started a tour. Well worth the price. We stayed in a standard room and it was huge. The room was very clean and the staff were very helpful and nice. I would love to stay here again!!!! Can't recommend it enough.

Room Tip: We stayed in a standard room and it was huge and lovely so I think you're going to be fine with...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
washington
Reviewed October 18, 2012

This hotel has a beautiful physically plant with richly decorated halls and rooms and very attractive public areas. It has the quality and luxury you expect from a Ritz Carlton. The rooms are large (about 420 sq ft) with comfortable beds. The all marble bathrooms feature two sinks and separate shower with rainforest shower head and tub. The club lounge is also beautiful and has two large screen apple computers. The staff at the club lounge is terrific, very friendly and eager to help. The breakfast buffet is outstanding with wide choices of foods, cooked to order eggs and crepes, and many other hot and cold offerings. Having said all of this, I wondered if management was cutting costs to get a better bottom line. This is the only Ritz Carlton that did not offer mouth wash as part of its toilet items in the bathroom and the toilet items offered (shampoo, conditioner etc) were not of the quality expected at the Ritz. Every time I entered an elevator I noticed the carpet had not been vacuumed as there were always items on the carpet. I went to the spa at least 6 times during my stay and there was never an attendant at the spa desk and I only saw an attendant one time in the spa. Many times there were used towels on the floor or unoccupied lounges and several times no towels available. The spa had no individual soap, shampoo, combs or other items available. Even the one hair dryer in the men’s section did not work the entire week I was there. There also no instructional signs or employees to tell you the rules of using the spa. In one room of the spa there is a sauna and a cold plunge pool and two semi open showers. In a second area there is a nice size indoor pool and a whirlpool for 3/4 people. On two occasions in the sauna area there were both men and women nude using the facility; the following days a father and his young boys (under 11) were in the same sauna area. Without instructions, I am sure many times the nude people and the children would meet each other. Also there is usually instructions that the whirlpool and sauna are not to be used by children; but no such instructions here and children were constantly using the whirlpool. But the major reason I questioned management’s cutting costs is the food and beverage offerings in the club level. I travel extensively and have been at over a dozen club levels of different Ritz Carlton and an equal number or more of other chains. This Ritz Carlton is at the lowest end of the scale of Ritz Carltons for food and beverage in the club level and is midway in the scale of the other hotel brands. First, there is no self serve of soft drinks, coffee, wine, beer or liquor. Everything has to be ordered and delivered by the staff. Unfortunately, as the staff gets busy filling drink orders, there is nobody at the club desk to help guest with other issues. The breakfast display of foods is minimal; cereal, some rolls, yogurt, small fruit offerings, basically a minimal continental breakfast. It was not until 4 days in my stay that I saw a guest eating eggs that I asked if I could order eggs. It was then I was told it was included in the breakfast. There was no menu on the table or other information that would have told me eggs, cheese, meats, and fish could be ordered. The offerings at lunch and dinner were what you would expect at a Hilton, not a Ritz Carlton. The only hot offering was soup at lunch. Also at lunch was a 1" by 2" cucumber sandwich and a sandwich loaded with mayo with a slice of ham and cheese. Both lunch and dinner offered cheese, sliced meats and bread and salad. In addition at dinner, there were 3 offerings each in a silver spoon; perhaps a small cold quiche or piece of ham or something similar. Also these limited offerings reappeared daily. Oh yes, there was always available Mars bars, snickers and other candy, potato chips, and pretzels. Having just experience the Ritz Carlton in Istanbul with unlimited self service of coffee, liquor, wines, champagne, and soft drinks, and with three hot offerings at lunch and dinner (a fish, a pasta, and a meat dish) plus a soup, and with a wide variety of cold mezzes and salads, I was very disappointed. All in all, notwithstanding the above, I really like the hotel and would certainly stay again in the club level. I just hope management reads this review and fixes the problems.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JDK1700
Reviewed October 15, 2012 via mobile

Excellent room, with space, enough chairs, desk and good lighting. Good air-con, and windows that open. (I wish they provided tea and coffee making also) Good food in Brasserie. Excellent service from Concierge staff. Efficient front desk. It lives up to its name and reputation.

Stayed October 2012
Reviewed October 14, 2012

As my Aunt was unable to come to England, I decided to bring England to her. How much more English can you get than Afternoon Tea.

Despite the tea lounge being in the main atrium of the hotel, it is very cleverly placed behind the grand staircase providing a cosy, relaxing environment. The waitress wore I chinese style dress and the seating was very comfortable. A pianist was playing quietly from the mezzo of staircase above us.

We were offered a selection of teas from 'smell caddies' which was great for my Aunt, but I don't drink tea. I was offered coffee but this was delivered by the cup and as the lounge staff were not always on hand, it was sometimes a bit of await until my next cup. Tea drinkers have their own pots of tea, served on individual warmers.

The selection of sandwiches and cakes was very nice, including a small amuse bouch of a prawn with mango sauce. A touch on the dainty side and more were not offered, but when we were ready to eat our scones, the waitress took them away to be warmed which was a nice touch.

My only real complaint was in respect of the 'clotted cream' which when I tasted it was a little sour rather than sweet. The waitress changed it for me, but the next one was the same and quiet frankly reminded me more of a cream cheese than the Cornish clotted cream which I know and love.

I would like to try tea here again and hope that they get the 'cream' sorted out next time.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed October 14, 2012

I had booked into the Berlin Marriott but we got transferred into the Ritz Carlton because of a issue with our reservation. This is a top end hotel so our expectations we pretty high. We had two rooms on separate floors. Check-in staff were welcoming and we got into our rooms early which was a very good start to our stay. The rooms were big by European standards and very well decorated and equipped. I particularly like the heavy doors to the rooms which meant we heard no noise from people in the corridor. We eat own of the nights in the restaurant which was very good. We enjoyed several visits to the curtain club bar, although this very expensive we treated ourselves. Location is good i.e. Potsdammer Platz is within walking distance of many of the major attractions. Would like to go back.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple