“Good Hostel, good location”

Alcatraz Backpacker Hostel
Ranked #33 of 360 Specialty Lodging in Berlin
Reviewed November 13, 2012

Very close to the train station and certainly has a good choice of bars and restaurants close by. Nice staff and a good price, the atmosphere in the hostel was a bit quiet for my liking. Overall I would recommend this place.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed November 1, 2012

Very nice people, great location, but on main noisy street.. preferably for young people. Apartment rather is expensive for simple lodging. Carpet used and dirty. Nice wooden floors. Location is great for going out. Safe.

Room Tip: Rooms on street are very sunny but noisy from street. It don't mind, then great. Loved the high...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 26, 2012

I stayed there two nights and in general it was very nice. Veeeery friendly and helpful stuff, just the best ones! The 6-dorm room was perfectly clean and quite big. A lot of space for luggage. Also it was totally safe. Nice kitchen. The only negative thing for me was the Internet/WiFi. As I had to work online, to buy online tickets for my flights etc. the existing of WiFi was for me the only important point by choosing the hostel. So I was really dissapointed - WiFi in the room wasn't working at all and even the free computers in the Hall have bad Internet connection. So I had to use Internet-cafe all the time, which was not something I was expecting for. Still nice place to spend the time in Berlin!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank guzTheGuz
Reviewed October 10, 2012

Only by name. This was my second stay at Alcatraz and it was as good as the first. Friendly and helpful staff, free computers to use, nice eating area next to the kitchen, outside area to hangout. hey had lockers with locks for your things, but they are too thin to put anything but a small backpack in. It's located a short walk from the U-bahn and tram stops, plenty of cheap eats around too.

Room Tip: I had the 6 bed mixed dorm with private bathroom, it was very spacious with a big empty room on the...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 9, 2012

Very handsome, friendly, smiling and helpful staff made the stay comfortable.

The 6-person room had lots of space: two toilets, shower room, one big empty room with a table, small entrance hall, and a spacy sleeping space with lockers inside. The door could be closed so that the people could sleep in dark during night, if you need to do something with light on in the other room.

I didn't want to use the shower because it was a common space for ladies and gentlemen, and I couldn't see a towel-hanger so I thought it would get wet.

The hostel had very unique look from the street. I was almost a little scared to go in, but in the end it was very friendly and very "Berlin-style" with huge graffiti views from the room window.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank UllaRTampere
Reviewed June 26, 2012

I stayed at this place with three more friends and we had a pleasant stay. It is a very simple place, but our room and bathroom were clean and the bed was ok for the price. There were though some things that would need some repairs, like the shower e.g. The staff was friendly and we didn't get any comments when we checked out some time after the official check out time. We only had one weird thing when paying with the credit card, that one of us had to pay with his home currency and the exchange rate was quite bad. No chances that you could pay in euro instead... I can recommend the place.

Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 8, 2012

I've stayed here before many times.
This time I won't be returning.
The bed was uncomfortable and the pillow was a disgrace with barely any stuffing.
The place was unclean and any repairs had been bodged.
Shame because this had been a favorite place to stay in Berlin.
Reception staff were brilliant tho and will do anything they can to help you out.

• Stayed: June 2012