“Good location, comfortable rooms”
Review of ARCOTEL Velvet

ARCOTEL Velvet
Ranked #165 of 634 Hotels in Berlin
LA
“Good location, comfortable rooms”
Reviewed May 13, 2012

Myself and my better half were traveling through Europe earlier this month with a few friends. We stay here during our stay in Berlin and we very pleased. It was clean and comfortable. The size of the rooms we fine and the staff friendly. The location was very central, and although the road itself wasn't that beautiful (we were right beside a squat) it was perfect Berlin vib as we left the door. If you want pretty go to Rome.. Berlin has more to offer than that!

We'd happily stay here again on our next visit.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
, Leiter Gästebetreuung at ARCOTEL Velvet, responded to this review, June 29, 2012
Dear guest,

we want to thank you for your last stay and for the time you have taken to give us a feedback. We are very pleased to hear, that you liked the the central location, our rooms and our friendly staff. Thank you for your kind note.

We wish you all the best and hope to welcome you again soon.

Kind regards
Your Team from the ARCOTEL Velvet Berlin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Padova
Reviewed May 6, 2012

We buyed an offer flight+hotel and it was really cheap. I read about the bathroom inside the room in advance, so it was not a surprise. But really I don't think you should worry about that. The room was spotlessy clean, very quiet and comfortable. Very quick check-in operations. The location is great: metro and tram are just outside, a lot of restaurants and clubs in the neighbourhood. Definitely I would return!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JAZZCATPadova
Bowdoinham, Maine
Reviewed April 25, 2012

My wife and I visited Berlin recently and stayed at the Arcotel Velvet in Berlin. The room was very comfortable, not exceptionally large but certainly adequate. The front desk staff was very helpful, offering advice when asked and renting us bikes for sightseeing. The only less than stellar part of the stay was the breakfast - you had to choose from a menu the night before and in the morning a bag ws provided with our selection. A much better offering was available a few doors down the street. The star attraction of this hotel? A bartender who was friendly, extremely knowledgeable, with impeccable service. He set the standard for bartenders everywhere.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank David M
Cologne, Germany
Reviewed April 23, 2012

We stayed in a suit which was on the 7th floor excellent room with a big window so you could see for miles over the roof tops. Some furniture getting a little bit tired like the dining table. Small Kitchenet with coffe maker and cooler. The room was clean and well taken care off about medium hard bed but we slept well. The staff which we meet was very helpfull and smiling. Well located with regrads to transport as there is a underground just around the corner about 3 km from Hfb and 20 min walk to Alexanderplatz. The street where the hotel is has good restaurants, coffeshops and on the corner is a pharmacy in addition Rewe is short walk and also various bakeries.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank heljarskin
Hong Kong / Kelowna, BC, Canada
Reviewed April 17, 2012

The overall experience was good however improvements could be made in terms on how they handle bookings and their house keeping effort.

I stayed here for 3 nights and have specifically requested a double room and a twin room, however by the time we reached the hotel, the front desk advised us that there were no twin room available for that day as they were fully booked (note that we arrived at 9am). I refuse to check-in and hence given the disabled person room which features twin bed and a large undvided bath room. I found this to be extremely unprofessional given that fact that I booked the hotel over 6 months in advance plus I arrived early in the morning to secure my room choice.

Location:

The location of this hotel is great, it is on the street where most restaurant opens til late. only across the street from a tram stop and subway station. (Subway Oranien-burger Tor) and only 1 station away from the large interchange station of Friedrich Station. It is also within a 10 mins reach by subway to Hackescher Market.

Security:

The hotel itself seems to be fine, the front door of the hotel will be locked after mid-night and can only be open with your door card. The hotel is located on a street with a noticeable number of prostitutes, but nothing out of the ordinary could be seen from here, just use basic pre cautions.

Services:

Service in most part are up to standard. Front desk staffs are helpful and motivated, knowledgeable when questions asked regarding local tourist attraction. The down side was I have to physically went down to the front desk when I call and request for extra toilet paper and a set of fork and knife.

Rooms, Hotel Facilities and Dinning:

The room I had was spacious cause it was intended for wheelchair user, other rooms are just average in size. The bathroom design is also rather stupid in standard room, only the toilet have a door and could be lock, the bath tab is open and with no separation what so ever with the bed.

I wasn't aware that there are any type of Facilities in this hotel, but free-wifi is a plus. However hotel wide free wifi is a bit unstable and have very poor signal strength, it is recommended to bring your own LAN cable to use the free internet in your room.

This hotel features no restaurant, however they partnered with the restaurant next door to provide breakfast service but it tasted awful.

Cleanliness:

The cleaning was up to standard, nothing to be complain about. On par with most 3 stars hotel.

Will I recommend it? If you get a good deal, than yes.

Overall this isn't a bad hotel, but with the price I paid, I expected much more than I have received. There are plenty of other options in the area. explore and you shall find better!

Room Tip: Take the disabled room is available, so much bigger and bathroom with a lock!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Crossingtheglobe
Reviewed April 13, 2012

I booked a junior suite for my husband and I for our trip to Berlin last December. Our trip was for my husbands birthday and to visit some of the fantastic Christmas markets.
The room was nice and spacious. It was good to have some space without feeling like we where falling over each other. The double bed was a little smaller than what we are used to, but then again European beds are sized differently to the uk(think ikea double bed size) no issues with the comfort of the bed. The room had plenty of storage and wardrobe space.

The small kitchen area was usefull for making coffee but the lack of pots, plates, cutlery and general cooking utensils made having the kitchen a bit pointless.
The bathroom was nice and clean with a good sized bath and a decent shower.

Our only dissapointment was the bar was closed during our stay so we never got our 2 free cocktails that where promised at the time of booking.

We didn't get the breakfast in a bag so can't comment on that. We just bought some cold meats, bread etc from lidl and made our own. We would get coffee from the little coffee shop next door - great coffee.

One of the reasons I choose this hotel was the location. There are loads of bars, cafes and restaurants right outside. It is also a short walk to the Ramones Museum - well worth a visit for music fans (you can walk round the museum with a beer!)

When we return to Berlin we would have no issues with booking this hotel again.

• Stayed December 2011
East Germany
Reviewed April 12, 2012

Very nice hotel in central Berlin, close to underground station, plenty of cafes and restaurants around to choose from. Staff were very friendly and responded to every request. A perfect choice for weekend getaway!
Panoramic windows are great, my little one loved it!
Nightlife is very busy around the hotel, great for party-goers.
Kunsthaus Tacheles is right next door, also plenty of other attractions within walking distance.

On the downside if you are visiting by car street parking is scarce and expensive. However hotel does offer onsite parking for 18 Euro over night.
Also no swimming pool/fitness center, something I expected from the 4 star hotel.

Room Tip: make sure to pay for the next available room cathegory, you will get higher floor and a panoramic wi...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family