“Excellent”

Generator Hostel Berlin Prenzlauer Berg
Ranked #44 of 349 Specialty Lodging in Berlin
“Excellent”
Reviewed April 15, 2014

Generator hostel is an excellent place to stay in its very welcoming and all the staff are Nice people at Jack and Adrian made the holiday even more enjoyable I would stay here again and would advise people to

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Ryanlark

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 12, 2014

The hostel is a hotel and it's a geeat place to stay.
The bar man Jack is an amazing bar man that can get your group into party mode within two rounds: he has some awesome drinks and gets you ready for the night!
I'd recommend this place to my friends and mixed groups. Berlin is spread out so prepare to use the tram/cabs.

• Stayed April 2014
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed April 3, 2014

For a hostel, this place is the BEST! We had a room with two beds and a private bathroom. Everything was very clean and did the job for us as we only really were here at night to sleep and have a shower before exploring Berlin the next day! Location is great! Just one tram ride (5 min walk) and you're in the centre of the city. S-Bahn also stops here from Shonefeld airport directly behind the hostel, which was handy! Everyone who works there was very helpful as well--we were helped several times by Vincent, who gave us great 'off-the-map' ideas, which we loved. There are a few food places nearby and the hostel also serves food, though we did not try it. The bar is a really cool place to hang out and meet people and they do drink specials depending on the night. We took the free walking tour from the hostel, which was also GREAT (leaves every morning at 10)! Overall, great experience and would most definitely stay again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Babeta S, General Manager at Generator Hostel Berlin Prenzlauer Berg, responded to this review, April 9, 2014
Hi there,

Thank you so much for your fantastic feedback after your recent stay with us!

Our main goal here at Generator is to create unique experiences for our guests and I´m really proud and happy to learn that we have managed to achieve this for you.
I will pass your great comments to everyone in my team here, especially to Vincent who will be super pleased that you mentioned him! Thank you :)

I hope we will see you here again soon and please keep spreading the Generator word 

Reviewed March 13, 2014

At first I thought we'd hit the jackpot with this hostel; cheap rooms, good location and the staff seemed helpful at check in when my credit card maxed out. However things slowly but sure got worse and worse. As predicted they told us to move downstairs at 11pm which was part of the contract we signed and we were told that we'd be able to keep drinking downstairs but the minute we arrived in the common area they took our drink off us and told us they'd have no problem with us drinking outside the main reception area but not in the hostel itself. This not only inconvenienced us but anyone else who wanted to get in or out of the hostel, surely it would have been easier just to let us back into the hostel. No other residents had complained and all we wanted to do was keep ourselves to ourselves. The thing that bothered me most was the lack of consistency within the staff, some said it was fine to drink downstairs and others wanted to throw us out, we didn't know where we stood. As a university group we expected there to be some rules in place and were more than happy to abide by them but they seemed to change their policy towards us on a daily basis. The most infuriating thing to happen was when they locked everyone out of their rooms because one receptionist claimed that the full amount had not been paid. This was not the case as my card had a €2000 limit and the total cost was in excess of €2500 but I had given them my details and authorised a transaction to go through with the receptionist on the first day. Again, they not only caused unnecessary stress for us but also for themselves. I was really disappointed with the treatment we got from staff, not only was in avoidable but it was just wholly unnecessary and caused problems for everyone. Which is a shame as the hostel itself was perfect for what we needed, I certainly won't be staying there again and recommend similar groups to avoid this hostel at all costs.

Room Tip: The private 8 bed dorms were quite big with lockers for everyone and two sinks, the shower rooms on...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Babeta S, General Manager at Generator Hostel Berlin Prenzlauer Berg, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
Hi Lorcan,

thank you very much for your feedback.

We at Generator Hostel pride ourselves on our standards of service and willingness to take the extra step to exceed our guests expectations.
I am really sorry that we have not been able to achieve this during your stay.
Due to our licensing we operate "don´t bring your own" policy on alcohol and we ask customers not to consume their own alcohol in the hostel. Sorry about this.

I would much appreciate the opportunity to talk about your experience in more detail and especially discuss your payment difficulties and the inconsistency issues so please contact me at: babeta.schneiderova@generatorhostels.com

I really hope that you will give Generator another try and will stay in one of our fantastic hostels again in the future.

Babeta Schneiderova

Travelers are raving about these Berlin hotels

Kastel Gomilica, Croatia
Reviewed March 13, 2014

We were staying in twin rooms with shared bathroom. It was very clean and staff was friendly. Location of hostel is very good, near station. The atmosphere in hostel was very good, positive, full of young people.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed March 10, 2014

I stayed in Generator for over a Month in January, have to say I was really stressed at the time as I was staying there and working at the same time but the hostel is actually like a Hotel, all the staff make the effort to make you feel right at home. Physically, I can't fault the hostel and the service is 100 per cent! As I was working at the time some nights I didn't have the time to eat out much I was quite happy to eat in house on numerous occasions partly because the food was really good and tasty, but for me the staff in the kitchen also. David and Tobi do a great job, very friendly, engaging and professional. Will definitely be staying here again but hopefully for party next time!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Hi there,

Thank you so much for your fantastic feedback after your recent stay with us!

I will pass your great comments to everyone in my team here, especially to David and Tobi.

Clichy, France
Reviewed March 9, 2014

David, Tobi and I, Diego, wanted to tell you that it's was a very nice trip to Berlin. The team is great and young people are very friendly and kind. The rooms are nice. We sleep well and have good breakfast. Generator's close the center of the Town that i love to Discover. Unfortunately I slash a tire on my bike that I rent there when I went to Potsdam for the all day.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo