“Picked a Mitte gem at complete random!”
Review of Lokal

Lokal
Ranked #97 of 8,856 Restaurants in Berlin
Cuisines: German
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Mitte
Reviewed November 10, 2013

We were on our way to another restaurant and I suggested popping into Lokal for a drink. We hadn't heard of the restaurant or read any reviews about it beforehand. For some reason we were drawn to it. The atmosphere was buzzing even though it was early for evening dinner. We asked if we could sit at the bar to have a glass of wine even thought the rest of the bar was set up with place settings/reserved signs. We had a glass of wine and had a look at the menu (all in German). The waitress asked if we wanted her to explain (think she guessed that we were struggling). She went through all the starters and mains. There is only a small selection on one sheet. We ended up staying for a meal and stayed sitting at the bar. I really enjoyed seeing the coming and goings of the staff. All the staff are very good at their job. The barman needs an award for best glass polisher. I've never seen glasses polished so vigorously until they shine. The food is all organic and unusual combinations. I had 5 types of radishes for starter (didn't realise you could get that many!) and risotto for main. With our dessert we got a white sweet wine on the house off the glass polisher I think it is a restaurant where you could pick anything and it would be gorgeous. The restaurant is obviously very popular as it was full the whole time we were there and quite alot of people without reservations came in and had to be turned away. It is done out pretty minimal but still cosy with white walls, wooden tables and far over some of the chairs. Loved the whole experience and would totally recommend it.

1  Thank NatNunn

Reviewed November 6, 2013

Arrived late after theatre trip without a booking and still enjoyed a marvellous meal! Excellent staff all very helpful. Beautiful food and very good wine.

1  Thank Debilil
Reviewed November 3, 2013 via mobile

I brought my boyfriend to Berlinas a surprise, researched on food blogs and booked Lokal for his birthday night. I couldn't have lucked out more. Our waiter was fantastic, spoke amazing English and was really funny. The restaurant itself is beautiful and is really enjoyable to spend time in. We went on all the waiters recommendations and the wild boar main as he promised was the best pork dish I've ever had. I eat out a lot in London and this place was close to the top of my list in terms of quality and for what you get is really reasonable. I loved it and would visit again in a heartbeat.

Reviewed October 31, 2013

We booked late as the restaurant was already fully booked and on arrival we were squeezed in at the bar for drinks. The waitresses were very accommodating and helpful, translating when we needed help and making us comfortable.

We ate celery soup and pigeon for starters. Both of which were really tasty and for mains we had Venison and Beef. Both meals were presented beautifully which a range of veg on the plate and the taste was superb. For dessert we shared an apple crumble with was good but nothing too special.

The atmosphere was great, it felt like a weekend night even though it was midweek.

We spent €80 for dinner for 2 with drinks.

Would very much recommend eating here but dol cal ahead to book.

Reviewed October 29, 2013

Friendly, trendy atmosphere - maybe not for a romantic, tranquil dinner, but great for a relaxed and tasty dinner with friends.
Urban feel with rural touches (lovely wooden tables).
Food very fresh and inventive, based on regionally available products. Good choice of wines!
Service attentive and professional, and very friendly.
Overall a delightful experience, if you look for an easy-going place without sacrificing food quality or style. Happy to go back there.