“The maitre d' has wonderful hair!”
Review of Pauly Saal

Pauly Saal
Ranked #193 of 8,445 Restaurants in Berlin
Cuisines: German
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Mitte
“The maitre d' has wonderful hair!”
Reviewed May 29, 2013

We were given a table between two service stations - not a happy place to be. So much noise from china, glasses and cutlery being cleared from adjacent tables. Don't put me there, near the toilets or the kitchen please. I'd rather be tied up in a dungeon and spanked. Allegedly there are many such places in Berlin! They moved us immediately when I complained. Starter: we both chose the same; plaice with spinach - tasted wonderful and looked beautiful too. My partner chose turbot - again, terrific! Fed up with German staples - schnitzel and sausage, I went for poussin, served imaginatively and practically on a pan of hot coals, the breasts were succulent but the legs still slightly bloody. Spinach, beetroot and cabbage but only mashed potato. Charming, attentive service.

• Visited May 2013

• Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Top ratings all round”
Reviewed May 23, 2013

I recently organised a business presentation and dinner with a very international (and 'spoiled') audience at Pauly Saal and I can only say one thing: "Chapeau". unique venue with history and as a Listed Landmark building of high architecturial interest, excellent staff who foresee your every wish, superb food and wines and - in my opinion - good value for money! I would highly recommend this place to anyone, private or business.

If do you go on business or need more help, I highly recommend Barbara and Antje at CES-DMC.com - the best business event organisers in Germany/Berlin.

• Visited May 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Perfect for an adventurous business dinner”
Reviewed May 1, 2013

Visiting Berlin for business, our group ended up at Pauly Saal almost accidentally. The city has long been a hotspot for artists and creatives, and going on this evidence, the food scene is catching up as well.

You won't go long without having something catch your attention here - whether it's the original features of the building (an old school), the newer decor touches (including missiles and taxidermy), the food being served to other tables, or the other clientele - generally a fun and adventurous crowd.

To get an idea of what's available, have a look at the menu online first... Pauly Saal's offering is aimed at those willing to try new things... you won't find a schnitzel in sight! I went for the sweetbreads to start, followed by a deer main course which is probably a seasonal option. The meat was all very flavoursome and well cooked, though it did need a little extra seasoning. We were also well lubricated thanks to a colleagues excellent wine choice (from an extensive list). This was the best meal I've had in Germany, but this style of food isn't something I'd choose every day.

The highlight of the evening was some of our group's choice of the suckling pig which is presented to the table before being carved and served for family style consumption. I tried some and it was delicious...If you're a large group and haven't tried this before, there's no better place to go for it.

• Visited September 2012
Munich, Germany
“Very arrogant staff”
Reviewed April 13, 2013 via mobile

The atmosphere is really nice, but the staff, the food and service is just nothing to recommend. Even the Chief of the Restaurant could not answer our questions about a special dish, which was listed on the menu! He had no clue whats so ever....so in all, we will not come back to this place.

• Visited May 2012
new york
“Interesting venue, good food, service ok”
Reviewed March 19, 2013

Recommended to us by the concierge at the Adlon so we tried it. Great decor and interesting crowd. The food was very good. There was a long delay between the first course and main course. Over 1 hour. Otherwise we liked it.

• Visited February 2013