“Great food with large portions!”
Review of Restaurant Jolly

Restaurant Jolly
Ranked #87 of 9,635 Restaurants in Berlin
Cuisines: Asian, Chinese
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Mitte
Reviewed October 8, 2018

We visited this restaurant on our last night in Berlin and the wonderful food kept us filled for the next 24 hours! Large place with nice ambiance and pleasant waiting staff. I had the satay chicken on skewers with the usual peanut sauce which was very tasty - beware though that there were two chunky thighs on each skewer which is way more than we are used to in the UK! I also had some prawn Dim Sum thinking the satay wouldn't be very filling. Big mistake. The chicken with peanuts I ordered with a side order of noodles was a massive dish of delicious and varied texture and taste. It was also accompanied by a huge bowl of steaming rice which we hadn't expected. My partners spring rolls were crispy and light - although there were a lot of them. Her crispy duck on a bed of vegetables was again huge and delicious. We ate as much as we could but still left some of our mains and all of the rice which was a pity and merited a doggy bag request. However that is not something I have ever done and would probably be considered somewhat infra dig when staying in an hotel.
In conclusion, the food here is excellent and reasonably priced, the service great and well worth a visit, especially if you feel really hungry!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,068)

Reviewed September 27, 2018 via mobile

Nice upmarket, clean setting and decor with good prices. Mixed menu with thai and not too many Chinese dishes or items to choose from. Chicken thai red curry was scrumptious as well as the chicken & veg rice dish. Service helpful and friendly. Would recommend, well situated on the border of museum island too.

Reviewed September 16, 2018

I went to this resturant while visiting the museum island.
All the food were just great.
I got the crispy duck thai red and some dim sum. both were excellent.
Our server was very friendly and quick as well.
It`s a good place to visit if you are in the museum island.

Reviewed September 12, 2018 via mobile

They have a large selection of Chinese and Thai food. Dishes were very excellent and portions were large. The mango pudding for dessert is a real treat. Service was very friendly and helpful. The entry is completely level, so it is very good for the wheelchair.

Reviewed August 31, 2018 via mobile

As the name suggests, you will be jolly if you dined at this restaurant before or after your day spent on Museum Island. This island consists of the Pergamonmuseum, the Bode Museum, the Neues Museum, the Altes Museum, and the Alte Nationalgalerie.

Being Chinese and a dim sum (yumcha) aficionado, you can imagine how discerning I can be with this type of cuisine. I usually don't expect much from similar restaurants located across internationally - recognized cultural institutions like the Pergamonmuseum. I could not be more wrong.

Although the entrance did not win me over right away, I was quickly transported to a very sophisticated restaurant next to the elevated train tracks. You don't really hear or feel the trains nearby. Dark wooden tables contrast nicely with the creamy plush chairs and hints of red on the walls, the menu, and tablecloth. You also see glimpses of artistic creativity pair well with bamboo installations and colorful orchids.

The restaurant is well-known for its dim sum menu, although it is not as extensive as other restaurants around the world. We ordered shrimp dumplings (Har Gaw), pork and shrimp dumplings (Siu Mai), pot stickers or gyoza, barbecue pork buns (Char Siu Bao), chicken feet, spareribs in black bean sauce, sesame balls, and sweet taro fritters with sesame. My personal favorites were the pot stickers and fritters. So yummy!! We also ordered the small Peking duck sampler (19 euros), stir-fried lamb with cumin (spicy), and hot and sour soup.

Every dish tasted magnificently and was presented in a very appealing manner. You can see the action taking place in the visible kitchen underneath the Jolly: The Taste of East Asia banner. Those dim sum chefs donning their accompanying hats were hard at work, cranking out these small morsel masterpieces.

Yes, there is a slight language barrier at play but there was nothing that some pointing and gesturing couldn't resolve.

I crave this cuisine from time to time during my travels, although I tend to sample the local cuisine more often, so it was so comforting to find a place serving such authentic food from my parents' motherland.

This can be considered one of Berlin's hidden dining gems but with the heavy foot traffic on Museum Island, I'm sure it won't be long before this restaurant requires advanced reservations, and rightfully so.