“A warm haven for beer and bar food (PS I love currywurst)”
Review of Brauhaus Spandau

Brauhaus Spandau
Ranked #247 of 8,662 Restaurants in Berlin
Cuisines: German
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed February 23, 2013

The Brahaus came recommended to us from coworkers that live in the Spandau/Tegel Airport part of the city. I'm glad we received their tip on this restaurant/brew house as I was very satisfied with my meal and drink there.

Overall, the ambience was very warm and inviting. You can easily sustain a conversation without being drowned up by noise and or incessant background music. The beer selection was something of a moot point for my coworker and I as we loved the Weizenbier and we stopped at 4 each only because we had plans the next morning. Unfortunately our fondness for that brew cost an opportunity to sample their other offerings, as we stuck with that type all evening. The XXL currywurst dish I ordered was fantastic. Call it dessert if you will, but I always crave pretzels when in germany, so I ordered a few pretzels after the Currywurst. The waitress said not to expect giant pretzels (a la Oktoberfest or beer halls in Munich). Still, the pretzels were excellent and they came out to us warm and yet soft.

An english menu was available which was helpful, but not essential for putting together a currywurst and beer order. Our server was very friendly and more than happy to speak to us in english which was a nice touch and convenience that we very much appreciated.

Overall, I would definitely return to this venue, not only because the food and drink was satisfying, but because the atmosphere was very warm and hospitable. Other patrons were doing the same; enjoying unrushed meals over the excellent home made beers.

We took the U-bahn to Aldstadt Spandau. Provided one exits the station at the exit that is "furthest" from the exit nearest the Rathaus, I would say the walk was all of 3 minutes to reach the restaurant. I say this because I hadn't mapped out the restaurant in advance and I did take the U-bahn exit that was closer to the Rathaus/Markt and I had to ask in some shops for directions to the Brauhaus.

This was my first time in Spandau and even if I were a guest in the city/downtown/mitte, I would venture the few stops down the underground to sample a bit more suburban berlin and a great eatery too.

There are newer reviews for Brauhaus Spandau

Reviewed February 22, 2013

Have visited a few of these great traditional places across Germany and this is no exception. Located next to the old Citadel and was a welcome rest point after walking around there. We took advantage of their currywurst with some lovely fresh beer. Impressive and cosy place to visit. If in the area this is a must.

1  Thank whiteprince
Reviewed January 22, 2013

Very German pub with a couple of great beers and excellent food. Highly recommended. You have to try the Currywürst!

Reviewed January 9, 2013

Visited several times. Excellent meats with quality much above average. Beer is very good, too. However, some extra waiters would be useful: there are few of hem, they are real pros, but sometimes you need to wait a bit more. The building itself is very nice. Summarizing: go here for excellent typical German food.

Reviewed December 15, 2012

The menu is very limited, but the kitchen is not able to cook even those.

We ate some sausages and one sausage salad. The salad was worst I've ever got - there was a lot vinegar (probably like a sauce) and you can imagine that slices of sausage and vinegar is not the best combination. I could not eat it. The traditional curry wurst was not even close to the best ones either, because the sauce was almost pure ketchup without any curry taste. The normal bratwursts were OK, because there was not any sauce to spoil them.

The beers were not that good either - meaning that it is not the reason to visit there either.