“Berlin trip”

Crowne Plaza Berlin - Potsdamer Platz
Ranked #72 of 634 Hotels in Berlin
Reviewed June 21, 2013

Nice and modern hotel, interesting location conveniently located in Postdamer Platz. The hotel is situated on a quiet street, a short walk distance from train and bus stop. We stayed for two nights, the breakfast was delightful and the service very courteous and professional. The room was very clean, equipped with mini fridge, and the shower is very nice. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
WyndhamGrandBerlinPP, Manager at Crowne Plaza Berlin - Potsdamer Platz, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2013

Dear dreamer063,

thank you very much for the kind words! I will definitely pass them on to my team.

I am happy to hear that you had an enjoyable stay!

We look forward to your next stay at our hotel.

Best wishes,

Gabriele Maessen, MA

Write a ReviewReviews (1,079)

Reviewed June 3, 2013

Brand new hotel with nice bathroom and superb rain shower, excellent value for money. Upon check-in we were waiting for our room, but overall great experience . Room was brand new and nice furnished. Rain shower was just great. WIFI worked without problems. Walking distance to Potsdamer Platz. Lobby is big and comfortable.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Nesiie
WyndhamGrandBerlinPP, Manager at Crowne Plaza Berlin - Potsdamer Platz, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2013

Dear Nesiie,

my team and I thank you very much for taking the time and sharing your feedback with us.

I appreciate your kind words and we are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay!

Best wishes from Berlin,

Reviewed June 3, 2013

This hotel is a great hotel if you are looking for a nice, newer clean room with great free internet and (if you get the correct room) a great breakfast included. It is very new and in fact still under construction in some places, but the hotel did a great job of keeping things quiet. If you are looking for a place that is just that - quiet and tucked away from everything else this is your hotel. However, its location could barely be described as "Potsdamer Platz". It is closer to the Anholter Banhoff S-Bahn station, so not even really closest walking distance to Potsdamer Platz U-Bahn. I agree with previous accounts that describe the staff as robotic and cold. All the information about the hotel is listed on the internet TV in the room and was a pain in the [--] to navigate. No hard copy of this information in the room. This was frustrating, but I guess I understand trying to save trees. It just meant that I didn't even think of ordering room service or anything else because the internet TV was such a pain to get information through. Also, they advertized laundry services (but this should not be confused with coin-op laundry services. They will wash and dry (or dryclean) your clothes to the price of 6Euro per shirt. Also, they advertised that they had voltage converters available free of charge. I asked every day (7 days) I was there and although they said they "had me on a list", there was never one available. Never an apology for anything, just "sorry, none are available". So after a few days I just bought one of my own for about 5Euro from the Saurn (electronic store) in Potsdamer Platz. In addition, the lobby and especially the areas around the elevators always smelled like smoke. I'm thinking there is some smoking area in close relationship to the elevator shafts.

I would say if you are looking to be around Checkpoint Charlie, or Potsdamer Platz, there are MANY more convenient places. If you are looking to be within a 10-20 min walk from these places and prefer quiet and out of the way, I would say this is your hotel. The concierge was very helpful and helped us get the "welcome card" which is a great deal if you are planning on doing lots of traveling by U-or S-Bahn and also wanting to see some sites/museums. The concierge can get all of this for you right there... but I assume this would be the same at any hotel.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
WyndhamGrandBerlinPP, Manager at Crowne Plaza Berlin - Potsdamer Platz, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2013

Dear Briedi G,

thank you very much for your detailed feedback.

I am sorry to hear that you had problems with the TV navigation. Our Chief Engineer and I discussed this issue and he will definitely take a look at the TV's to ensure that it is easy and quick to navigate through the program.

Moreover, I made sure that we have enough voltage converters. I am very sorry that you went to buy your own, because we didn't have any available at that point of time.

Nonetheless, it is great to hear that our concierge could help you with your wishes.

I hope to welcome you again in the future!

Best wishes,

Reviewed April 30, 2013

Stayed in this hotel in April, it re-opened under new management in March and even though we had booked it under the Crowne Plaza.our check in was straighforward, We were too early to be allocated room so we went off to nearby Potsdamer Platz to explore. The Hotel is really nice and clean, modern and bright and the beds and pillows were very comfortable. The buffet breakfast was really nice with a great selection available and the chef cooked fresh omlettes on request. The only negative I have is that our requests on booking were ignored, we were a party of 4 and asked for a double and twin room close to each other. Our rooms were on different floors and we were allocated 2 double rooms, this was rectified when we brought it to the attenion of the checkin staff but our rooms remained on different floors. Drinks in the bar were very expensive.

Room Tip: Make sure you go through your booking form before the staff allocate the rooms in order for your spe...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Sligocitytrippers
WyndhamGrandBerlinPP, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Berlin - Potsdamer Platz, responded to this reviewResponded May 3, 2013

Dear Sligocitytrippers,

thank you for your positive review!

I will pass on your kind words to our F&B Department.

Regarding your booking, I will talk to my team to find out what happened. Be assured that we always try to consider the wishes of our guests, when possible.

Kind regards,

Reviewed April 29, 2013

I chose the Wyndham Grand Potsdammer Platz based on its great location near the Berlin metro and near many of the key sites including Checkpoint Charlie and Potsdamer Platz. The location was great. The hotel is on a quiet side street just a few hundred meters from a Berlin metro stop (bahnhof). From there you were just one stop from Potsdamer Platz and two stops from Branderburg Gate. I was also able to walk to the Berlin Wall memorial and Checkpoint Charlie in about 15 minutes.

The hotel itself is in an old building (postal annex, I think). The interior has been completely re-done leaving a modern, new interior in an otherwise older building. The lobby areas are spotless and brand new. The rooms are gorgeous and still smell new. My room had high ceilings with windows that opened for fresh air, hardwood floors, and a beautiful bathroom. I loved the shower. The bed was absolutely wonderful and I slept very well. While I thought the rooms were well appointed, I did notice a few things. The room only had one phone at the desk and not one by the nightstand. I also noticed that there was missing an alarm clock / radio. There wasn't a way to play music or even set an alarm without asking for a wake up call (the automated wake up call service on the phone only spoke German). Many hotels in this category like Westins have iPod compatible radios in the room. Even the very mid-tier Wyndham University Center in Pittsburgh, PA, USA had this feature. Just an observation.

Unfortunately, while the room itself was very nice, I found issues with the staff and service. Upon check-in the front desk couldn't find my reservation. I had to pull my confirmation email and forward it to the desk staff so that they could access my reservation. This added time to check-in, but the staff dealt with it professionally and I was given an upgrade for my wait and troubles, so I have no real issue there. I'll assume a system issue. I found the servers in the hotel restaurant during breakfast to be plain rude. One had attitude and before I could even help myself to the breakfast buffet, I decided that I didn't want to eat there and left the restaurant. I decided that I would rather go somewhere like a Starbucks where I was welcome even if I had already paid for my breakfast at the hotel. I told the desk staff and they offered a drink in the bar to make up for the situation. Since I was leaving the next morning very early and wouldn't be able to have breakfast at the hotel, this was the one and only impression of the restaurant.

I did have drinks at the bar both nights. I found the bar tender to be a bit cold and unfriendly. While he wasn't rude, he just was not warm and friendly. On one night, I was the only guest in the bar and his service was slow. I often had to ask for things after waiting a while and was not ever offered.

I also noticed that once or twice the desk staff seemed to be a bit cold. It was a bit odd. It's like they were listening to you, but offered no expression and seemed robotic. I would classify the bartender this way as well. Questions were answered with one word and nothing else No smiles, no expression, no pleasantries. While I know this sounds picky, I noticed a theme during the entire two days at the hotel and it was a bit off putting. Great hotels offer hospitality that is not just outstanding, but warm and genuine. This was missing here.

Overall the hotel was nice, but service and hospitality were odd and lacking. For a hotel that is trying to achieve a certain high caliber, the staff need to match the quality of the hotel itself

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank jfrworld

Dear jfrworld,

first of all, thank you very much for the detailed review. I appreciate that you took the time to share your thoughts with us.

I was very happy to read that you liked the hotel's design and the rooms. Furthermore, it's great that you took full use of our location and walked to the nearby attractions. Especially in summer it's nice to discover the city by foot.

I am sorry to hear that you didn't feel welcome. I take your complaint very seriously and I will definitely talk to my team about the impression you had. You can be certain that we bid welcome every guest and try our best to make our guests happy.

I look forward to welcoming you again.

Best wishes from Berlin,

Reviewed April 28, 2013

For the £70 a night for three nights and for the location was more than fine. Clean, but staff not so friendly and room service slow and didn't clean our bathroom at all all week??

Modern and centrally located with great access to a train station nearby and nice and quiet location even being fairly central.

Disappointed breakfast wasn't included so we went to cafe's instead as worked out cheaper.

Great spot for a short stay, fairly comfortable and I would say overall fair enough value for money, if you're not up for staying at hostels any more etc. Good for a couple.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
WyndhamGrandBerlinPP, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Berlin - Potsdamer Platz, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2013

Dear missndc,

thank you for taking the time to post a review.

I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed by our service. You can be assured that the rooms, including bathroom, are cleaned each day. Nonetheless, I will definitely discuss the issue with my team.

I look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Thanks again and kind regards,

Reviewed April 27, 2013

The Wyndham grand is very close to Potsdammer Platz, We had a Poker trip that was mainly playing poker at the Casino at Potzdammer platz - the hotel was opend a month ago, and the rooms are HUGE, has everything you need, even a laptop desk with a great chair to work at, GREAT shower ! and the service is wonderful ! breakfast was over at 11pm, we got at 11:15 and even though they closed it - they took out a plate full of food and drinks to me. this has never been offered to me on any other hotel. the service is perfect, the hotel is beutiful. and we have a great time ! 7 nights and not even 1 complain.

Room Tip: any room is your best choise.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
WyndhamGrandBerlinPP, Manager at Crowne Plaza Berlin - Potsdamer Platz, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2013

Dear Oran B,

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel.

Thank you very much for the kind words. I will pass them on to my colleagues.

I look forward to welcoming you again.

Kind regards,