“All round excellent experience here”
Review of The Mandala Hotel

The Mandala Hotel
Ranked #9 of 634 Hotels in Berlin
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
New Haven, Connecticut
“All round excellent experience here”
Reviewed July 22, 2010

We had two "management suites" - they were clean, comfortable (great bed) and quiet. The room and the bathroom were quite spacious. I picked the suite (really a large room) because it had a king bed . I avoided the garden rooms on the ground floor - it seemed to me that would be noisy. Really wonderful location - I agree with the other location comments, and add only (as others have) that not only are you near everything, but the Potsdammer Platz area itself has a lot more than first meets the eye. It may look like there's a Sony office tower across from the hotel, but if you venture in to the left of it you will find that it is only a part of a stunning covered courtyard with lots of people and restaurants. We did not get breakfast included but went next door to a perfectly fine coffee shop place, and there are other places too. The hotel has a fairly extensive buffet, but unless you're a big eater you won't begin to get your money's worth - I think it was $25 a person. The multiple guest laundry rooms were clean, free, well-equipped (even with free detergent) and even had a TV - for this reason alone I would stay there again. The kitchen in the suite did not have a microwave, and seemed not be be well equipped BUT when I read the room directory at the end of the stay, I discovered that a microwave or any other kitchen equipment were available on request. For me this would have taken care of breakfast, but I found out too late. The only negative is that free internet was limited to the reception floor and the 5th floor which was inconvenient. Internet in the room was not free. There may be a principle behind all this though - hotel literature talked about how guests were free from electromagnetic waves in their rooms. Finally, the reception staff was extraordinarily friendly, helpful and professional. (Didn't try the spa - can't comment)

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (247)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
London, England
Reviewed July 20, 2010

We stayed in an Executive Suite at the Mandala and (mostly) had a great time. My reservation refers to the fact that we had to change rooms and were given a slightly smaller and less well arranged room than the fabulous one we occupied originally. the location is perfect - right opposite the Potsdamer Plaza, next to a U and S Bahn and a bus stop, and within walking distance of many of the major sights. Fairly nice goodies in the bathroom (though I do hate liquid soap) as well as robes and slippers. There is also a spa though we were too busy sightseeing to utilise it. The restaurant - a Michelin starred one - provided us with probably one of the best meals I have eaten in my life - and definitely the most expensive. A pocket stretching treat but a memorable one.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank notacouchpotato
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 10, 2010

We stayed at The Mandala for 3 nights at the end of our vacation. Nice hotel, though a little annoyed that we paid extra for a room with a balcony only to find that it faced a construction site next door. Also a little annoyed that the hotel did not have free wi-fi. The rooms were nice, though. Comfortable, spacious, nice bed, very large bathrooms. Location was in Potsdamerplatz, directly adjacent to the Sony Center, convenient to the U-Bahn (U-2 line) and easy 10-15 minute walking distance to the Brandenburg Gates and the Unter Den Liden.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed July 7, 2010

Stayed here four years ago and I've been in many hotels around the world since, but my wife and I still recall it as one of the most elegant hotels we've stayed in. Location is excellent, room is marvelous, and rates were reasonable.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
Israel
Reviewed July 4, 2010

We went to this hotel for our short honeymoon on January. The city was frozen so we got to spend a lot of time in the hotel and our choice of the hotel couldn't be better!
We stayed at the management suite. The suite was huge (50 square meters). When comparing to other hotels suite on the same price, this is the largest room available (others were 33 Square meters for the same price...).
The suite had a very large bathroom and separate area for a living room. Also a kitchenette and dressing room...
The design is very modern and still warm.
We enjoyed our stay and recommend it to everyone.
You can take a look at the photos I took there

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mshirit
Bratislava, Slovakia
Reviewed June 28, 2010

The Mandala deserves the rave reviews it receives here and I'd like to commend the staff for their care, efficiency and excellent service.

The hotel in on Potsdamer Platz with a small alcove which helps in unloading the car. Friendly, efficient check in that clarified there would be a 30 Euro charge per night for the dog which had already been explained on booking. Rate included breakfast and use of spa facilities. The rates are very good for the service and quality of the hotel.

If you wish to stay with a dog, then only the Executive Suite is an option. And what a great option it is. Very large 60 sqm studio with seperate lounge/eating are and small kitchenette. King bed which was a tad too firm and soft pillows. I guess the only real gripe i had was that the pillows were too soft - so clearly there were not many issues during our stay!

Good breakfasts and you need only ask for eggs although there is no menu as such. Good selection of fresh juices, fruits and other European breakfast goodies.

Valet parking was good. Reasonable rate and we either walked or took cheap taxis during the stay as you are so close to everything. Ka De We is within 10 minutes and you should go and have a seafood lunch there as the quality is first rate (plus a nice glass of bubbles to help the meal along). Good room service and funky bar. Mini bar rates are also very reasonable.

Some other pluses, free laundry room on 3 floors and a good gym.

All in all, an excellent choice and hopefully we shall be back for another long weekend soon ;)

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JoJoZep1970
Atlanta, GA, USA
Reviewed June 27, 2010

After a little trouble finding the place in my rental car at 10 pm on Thursday night, I was shocked by the friendliness of the staff. I had called the front desk because the navigational system told me I had arrived but I couldn't see the entrance, so the front desk person came running down the sidewalk to find and guide me, unloaded (despite my obscene volumes of luggage), then valet-parked my rental car. I was really tired, but the staff were extremely friendly, helpful, upbeat, succeeded in getting me to laugh and smile and cheer up after a nasty 700 Km drive... The best was yet to come: the room. To be honest, I'd never seen a room quite like this one, bedroom, living room / study, kitchen / dining room, two bathrooms, entrance hallway, wrap-around balcony including nice views of their rooftop bamboo garden, the whole thing in extremely tasteful blond wood tones.... I feel like I'm writing for an architectural magazine, but it's true. I paid about EUR 250 for the room (may be expensive if you're on a personal vacation), but right in the center of sold-out (owing to a convention) Berlin and desperate for a hotel room on a business trip, it really was a bargain, 1/3 the price being charged by similar class hotels at the time. Business services I need all worked flawlessly: unloading and valet-parking the car, efficient checkin/checkout, wakeup call, room service breakfast, internet access, send/receive faxes, printing e-mails and document attachments and then sending them up to my room, it was great. Personally, I'd seriously consider staying here on a family vacation as well, though, because the room had so much space, at least 4 separate rooms, a full kitchen with stove, large eating-alcove with table for 4, refrigerator. The only possible drawback was that the bar was tiny, no pool, cramped common areas, but personally I ate room service breakfast to save time and spent all my time in the room, either sleeping or working against a deadline. Location also is not ideal I think as it's in an extremely modern, sterile, new-construction development on the Alexanderplatz, but I guess you can't have it all and it's an EUR 5 cab ride from the Unter den Linden. All in all, I spend about 3 months a year living in hotels and have becomem pretty picky and I'd really give this one a huge thumbs up: great price / value proposition for the room, and very friendly and efficient staff. Stay here and avoid the over-priced chains!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business