“Perfect Hotel But Watch Out For Those Fees...”

Waldorf Astoria Berlin
Ranked #18 of 635 Hotels in Berlin
Reviewed June 10, 2014

I will go out on a limb and say that the Waldorf is one of the nicest hotels I have ever stayed at: its brand new, beautifully done, clean, modern, amazing.

The staff could not be nicer and more helpful. I found East Berlin and Mitte to be way more interesting than the West Berlin neighborhood, so I am not sure this is the best located spot in the world, but (i) people seem to enjoy the shopping and zoo, and this is literally right next to both of those, and (ii) it is literally on top of a huge train station with subway access.

I should also add that a fantastic breakfast came free with our room and kept us full pretty much well through dinner.

The reason for the missing star is that, as beautiful as it is, and as reasonably priced as it was overall, this hotel nickels and dimes you with some "extras." Want to check out the pool? Extra money. Want a glass of water in the (really calm and relaxing) library on the top of the hotel? Sure, but its about 8 euro (no joke, we were charged more than $10 for a tiny bottle of Evian).

These little fees and surprise expenses just mar an otherwise gorgeous, classy spot. That said, with the right rate, I'd go back in a heartbeat, sticking to tap water and leaving my bathing suit at home.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
4  Thank nb424
Gregor A, Manager at Waldorf Astoria Berlin, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2014

Thank you very much for this very detailed description of our beautiful property and its surroundings. You are right; our guests usually prefer the closeness to the shopping lines, the station and airport. I am very happy to read that you enjoyed our amazing and stunning views over the City West from our Library on the 15th floor. Regarding the mentioned fees I would like to inform you that we charge 8, 50€ for 0,33l of water, which is not unusual in a hotel of our category and less than our direct competitors.
It is a really pity that you have not visited our incomparable exclusive Guerlain Spa and its over 1000 m2 of highest luxury, which recently has been honoured with the Spa Award 2014 for the best Spa in Germany. It is true that we charge 15€,- which is also not unusual, but in our case specially justified as our guests are accompanied by an enormous extra service from the beginning of their visit to the end.
We are looking forward to welcoming you very soon again, in our outstandingly elegant hotel.

Reviewed June 6, 2014

If it's urban, luxury yet contemporary spa hotel you need this is the one. Wow. Stunning rooms, cool bar, excellent gym and spa, great breakfast and central location for both business and tourist visitors. The service is also first class. Don't stay anywhere else in Berlin.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank AJ J
Gregor A, Manager at Waldorf Astoria Berlin, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2014

Thank you so much for all your compliments which I will also forward to my staff. Yes, we try to give our best caring for the smallest details in order to make our guests feel comfortable. I am happy to read that you have visited our exclusive and marvellous Guerlain Spa .We have been recently honoured to receive the “Spa Award ” as the best Spa in Germany in 2014.
Please come and visit us very soon again!!!

Reviewed June 1, 2014

The Waldorf Astoria Berlin occupies the upper-floors of the recently-built Zoofenster skyscraper in the district of charming district of Charlottenburg in Berlin, and offers amazing views, excellent inhouse restaurants and a soothing spa. It is very centrally located, near the zoo and Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial church, another favourite of mine, so you can stop out and shop and sightsee, if you can get yourself to leave the Waldorf's cosy interiors and considerate service.

Monisha Pinto
JP Number

Room Tip: Just request one on a higher floor.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
3  Thank monishapinto

Thank you so much for all your kind words and compliments. Please make sure that you visit our exclusive and marvellous Guerlain Spa during your next stay. The experience is incomparable and we just have been honoured to receive the Spa Award for the best German Spa in 2014.
We are looking forward to receiving you again very soon in our elegant property.

Reviewed June 1, 2014

Starting with the courteous valet who ushered my rental car off to the garage while I was greeted by the doorman, my experience at the Waldorf-Astoria, Berlin could not have been better. The hotel has a reputation for being exceptional and from the incredibly-beautifully appointed King Corner Jr. Suite to the fresh-squeezed grapefruit juice and warm croissant awaiting me as I checked out early for my return flight to the States, the property itself and the staff exuded excellence.

And while I was in Berlin on business, the proximity of the Waldorf-Astoria to the Tiergarten Park and transportation hub makes it a perfect choice for a stay with friends or family. Looking forward to my return.

Room Tip: The King Corner Jr. Suite is something special.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank HF1clTS

Thank you very much indeed for allowing us to make your stay at our beautiful property so pleasant. I am very grateful, that our guests notice the world class service which our collaborators offer continuously in order to honour our already 100 years lasting tradition.
We are looking forward to welcoming you very soon again!

Reviewed May 30, 2014

This is a very nice and exclusive hotel , worth all the 5 stars. The staff are very helpfull if you ask them something. I have only live in the king juniour suite the 2 times i have stayed at this hotel and i can really recomend this room, they are very big and nice and the last time we had a room on 14th floor and from that room you have a very good view... The beds are amazing...I can recomend this room category very much. The staff on the hotel are very nice and helpfull.
The not so good about the hotel is the high cost for wifi if you want to have that , 25€ for 24 hours..but you are on a holiday so maybe you dont need wifi... But i think maybe 15€ had been more ok for 24 hours
and that you need to pay for use the sauna/ swimmingpool... They dont tell you that when you check in to the hotel... And that they take i think 8€ for a small bottle of water, that mayby cost 1€ if you go and buy it in a shop...
And that you need to pay a very high deposit for the room, 150€ per person / night ... Like for us, we was 2 adults and we stayed for 5 nights the deposit was 1500€+ the room cost that was 1000€
And if you have never stayed here before and when you check in for the first time and they say they want 1500€ in a deposit for room service, dinner,spa it was almost a little to much as they dont write anything about the deposite when you booking the room...
I have stayed in a couple of other 5 star hotel in berlin and they have take 50€ in deposite or nothing so i really dont know how they can take so much in deposite...
Because all dont have a credit card to use on the check in, so then you have to use money that you maybe should have used for other things instead..
But all hotels have good and bad things so what i think is not so good someone else maybe dont care about...

But all i can say is that, it's a very nice hotel and worth the money what the room price is, and i looking forward to my next stay again on this hotel in early August in a king tower suite for the first time to celebrate a birthday...

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Roger J

Thank you very much for your detailed description of our elegant hotel and its location. It is true that we charge 25 € for Internet , but you have free access in our Peacock Alley , in our Library and in our Business Centre on the 1st floor. In the rooms you have free access via the TV screen.
As I read that you will celebrate your birthday at our beautiful property in early August, I would like to offer you a very special rate for the desired King tower Suite.
Please be so kind to contact my assistant Mrs. Lange: berlin.info @waldorfastoria.com.
We are very pleased to welcoming you again in August.

Reviewed May 28, 2014

Ideally located, in the former "west Berlin" :
- facing directly the Kaiser Wilhelm famous memorial church, Zoo/Tiergarten park
- a lot of nice restaurants and many shops at walking distance in the Kudamm area.
- right in front of the Zoo train/SBahn/bus station : you are 10 minutes by S Bahn from Berlin
Museum Island, Brandenburg Tor or the former east Berlin center (Potsdamer Platz, Unter den Linden,TV Tower...).
- walking distance to Europa Center, where all the major car rentals (Hertz, Europcar, Avis, Budget, ...) have an office.
Marvellous, friendly and very helpfull staff (doormen, very helpfull concierge, really friendly restaurant staff, reception). They all have been a highlight of our 6 nights stay.
Nice luxurious, confortable rooms, are what you may expect from a Waldorf Astoria.
Don't miss the 15th floor "Library" cosy bar, with its view on the Kaiser Wilhelm memorial church.
The "les Solistes" restaurant serves a nice breakfast buffet (may be not the nicest I had in Geramany, but still very nice), in a surrounding which is pleasant enough for breakfast, but would not be so attractive for dinner. Also the restaurant menu didn't seem to be too sexy, so we chosed to dine outside everynight.
On the other hand, we found hard to justify that in a Waldorf Astoria:
- Wifi was charged 25Eur/day (a nice opportunity to meet the other guests in the lobby to get free wifi!)
- parking 35Eur/day
- pool 15Eur/day
- we had to order every days some new bathroom amenities (shower caps, soap, shampoo) which are delivered in a minuscule ( too much cost minded?) quantity.
- hotel would not guaranty double room availability while booking via a travel agency (we got one on arrival)
Well, overall a very nice stay, willing to return, if only for the "feeling welcome" atmosphere generated by the staff, but not without a guaranted double room....

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
7  Thank 543eric
Gregor A, Manager at Waldorf Astoria Berlin, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2014

Thank you for your recent stay at our hotel and especially for the really detailed description of our facilities. I hope that our inspirational environment and unparalleled service helped to create memories that will last long after your time with us concluded. Should your travels bring you back to this amazing city of Berlin, I hope that you will stay with us again. I will forward very grateful all your nice compliments to my staff.

Reviewed May 26, 2014

My fiancé and I stayed at the Waldorf for a long weekend in December 2013 for a pre-Christmas break. The hotel is well located for access to the transport network and we had a fabulous stay.

We were lucky enough to have a corner room with views of the zoo. The hotel is new and tastefully decorated; we loved the bathroom in particular.

Breakfast was excellent, with buffet and menu options. We also enjoyed an evening drink in the piano bar. We did not dine in the evenings at the hotel so I cannot comment on evening meals.

I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Richard H
Gregor A, Manager at Waldorf Astoria Berlin, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2014

Thank you so much for all your lovely words of praise! Please come back very soon and perhaps you will find the occasion to dinner at our magnificent and Michelin starred fine dining restaurant Les Solistes by Pierre Gagnaire. The entire team of the Waldorf Astoria Berlin is already awaiting your next visit at our beautiful property.