“Summer Visit”

Waldorf Astoria Berlin
Ranked #22 of 634 Hotels in Berlin
Reviewed October 22, 2013

The Best Hotel my wife & I have stayed in!!! We were impressed the moment we stepped inside the hotel. The service from the whole team of staff was beyond 5 star. Our room had fab views over Berlin, it was spotless, the bed was heaven (luxury pillows and sheets) for a peaceful nights sleep. We had breakfast every morning which was outstanding and catered for everybody. We spent a few afternoons in the spa/pool & again it was 5 star. Would love to return here very soon as it does not disappoint.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank marc p
Gregor A, Manager at Waldorf Astoria Berlin, responded to this reviewResponded December 21, 2013

Dear Guests of the Waldorf Astoria Berlin,

Sorry for the delayed answer on your feedback on Tripadvisor.

Please allow us - still at this moment - to say "Thank You" for so heartfelt words. We do hope that you have stayed with us again and spent a wonderful time at the hotel.

Warm regards
Your team of the Waldorf Astoria Berlin

Write a ReviewReviews (1,576)

Reviewed October 15, 2013

Wow, this is an amazing hotel. It is brand new, modern and elegant. The level of service is outstanding from the moment you arrive to the time you unfortunately have to leave. The location is great with the Zoo Station train stop right next to the hotel and the fantastic shopping nearby. I wish I could have stayed longer and I have nothing negative to say. If you are going to Berlin, spend a few nights at the Waldorf. You will be happy you did.

I recommend a high floor to take advantage of the views. We stayed on the 8th floor and got upgraded to a Jr Suite which was amazing and had a wall of glass with window that open for fresh air.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SBAdvisor
Friedrich N, Manager at Waldorf Astoria Berlin, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2013

Dear guests

Thank you for your valuable and heartfelt feedback on Tripadvisor. We are delighted that you have enjoyed your stay with such a pleasure.

Definitely, we can confirm your recommendation to book a room in the higher floors where you have the best possible view at the Berlin City West.

If your travel brings you back to this place it would be a great pleasure for us to welcome you back again. Please don't hesitate to contact us so we may prepare all you need for your next stay.

Best regards from the loveley Berlin

Reviewed October 15, 2013

Excellent location. New and elegant hotel with fantastic Guerlain spa area. We used the junior suite on the 14th floor with great views of the Berliner Zoo. Gorgeous library with a bar in the 15th floor. We really enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Violetta S

Dear guests

It is so great to hear that you have enjoyed your stay at the 14th floor with the great view. Furthermore you have experienced most of our wonderful outlets - from the Guerlain Spa Waldorf Astoria to the Library. We also hope that you have had time for an extensively sight-seeing tour through the German capital.

For your next stay we would recommend a delicious experience at our wonderful French restaurant "LES SOLISTES by Pierre Gagnaire".

Please, take our best wishes from Berlin and from your Waldorf Astoria Team

Reviewed October 13, 2013

We had booked a room and upgraded with Hilton Honors points then we were upgraded again by the front desk to a corner junior suite. It was a lovely big room, with views onto a roof terrace on one side and the station on the other. There was a separate lounge area with a fridge, kettle, chairs and desk; a large bathroom with a bath and a separate shower; and a spacious bedroom, with a huge comfy bed. The bathroom amenities were Salvatore Ferragamo: very nice and plentiful. The décor was smart and the lighting was logical, with plenty of electrical sockets, including by the bed. There were excellent curtains and additional blinds to keep it dark, and the windows were triple glazed, which meant we heard nothing from the street even on the sixth floor.
The service was excellent throughout. We had thought we'd booked a Steiff package with a Hilton bear included: they had us on a Discover Berlin package (virtually the same but no bear). On request, the Concierge tracked down a bear for us and put him in a taxi from the Hilton! Also, our room was ready when we got there at 11:00, which was very welcome after an early start.
Breakfast was included in our package, and was very good, with plenty of choice from the buffet. Also included was a welcome drink which we had in the Library bar on the 15th floor and a 48 hour Berlin card.
We used the gym, which is quite small, with a reasonable amount of equipment.
The hotel is right next to the zoo station with excellent trains to Alexanderplatz etc. It is also very close to the main shopping centre.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear guests

Thank you for your friendly review at Tripadvisor. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your visit in Berlin and that we exceeded your expectations.

You have described the room with all details. Such a description helps other guests to get a better imagination of all our really wonderful rooms. Thank you for that. "Wunderbar"

Now, we hope to welcome you soon back in our hotel.
We wish you a beautiful Autumn and send best regards

Reviewed October 5, 2013

Before you carry on reading my review, I want you to know that I've been traveling for the past 12 months straight and seen - what feels like - a billion hotels in the past 365 days. The reason I'm telling you this is because I want you to know that when I say it's "the best hotel I've ever stayed at", it means something. I hope this gives the review some perspective.

I was supposed to be on the east side of Berlin from the 21th to the 24th. I ended up coming one day earlier and the hotel I was booked at in East Berlin (Westin Grand) didn't have availability for the 20th, so I ended up booking the Waldorf Astoria for 1 night on hhonors points.

From the moment I got out of the cab, I was blown away. The staff is trained exceptionally well and it shows in the little details. The friendly gentleman that opened the cab door, immediately greeted me with my last name. It was overwhelming, but in a good, flattering way. I wondered how the hell he knew my name - but he had looked at the baggage label of my suitcase. Either way I felt very welcome. He escorted me to the reception and introduced me to his colleague. His colleague checked me in and walked me to the elevator. My luggage was delivered directly to my room.

The room was gorgeous. As a diamond member I was upgraded to a deluxe room with king bed. I've always had a thing for beautiful decors and this decor made me feel right at home. It's decorated in a warm, modern, stylish, art decor kind of way (see pictures). The bathroom has a TV in the mirror, separate toilet, separate shower and huge bath tub - all beautifully put together with white marble tiles. My room had been prepared for my arrival, it had a personally written welcome card with a delicious looking welcome snack (bon bons and friend apple slices). The room has amenities like a nespresso coffee maker, water cooker and a Mac Mini (to browse the internet and watch DVD's etc.)

The next morning I checked out to go to the East side of the city. After a few days in the Westin Grand I decided to stay in Berlin for the rest of the week. I cut my stay in the Westin short and booked the Waldorf Again till Saturday morning (paid stay).

Arrival and checkin were just as smooth as last week. I was upgraded to a beautiful Junior Suite overlooking the newly build zoo, looking out east towards the TV tower. I won't go into detail describing the room amenities again. Know it was very nice, just like the previous room. Just a fair amount bigger. But it's not the way it looks, it's the way everything feels. Everything feels solid. Doors, drawers closets feel heavy and of quality. Also, the hotel is on a pretty busy street but due to the double windows you have no noise from the street. It even draws out construction noise from the zoo next door (will be completed next month).

Every morning I had breakfast buffet in their restaurant downstairs. At 36 EUR for an all-inclusive breakfast it's pretty steep. It includes sparkling wine as well if you're into that. Not one single day was there an item that was not available anymore and the cooks will personally ask you if they can make you anything special. I'm pretty conscious about what kind of food I put in my body and anybody who travels a lot knows that getting good quality food while you're on the go is a challenge. My solution was to bring a 'doggy bag' or lunch box from the buffet with some 'healthy' high protein foods. The girls were always incredibly attentive in getting me a box to put my on-the-go food in, or anything else I wanted for that matter. Even though I still feel the breakfast pricing is too high, both service and quality of the foods - or tea and coffee for that matter - were exquisite. i.e. you could also order various lathe's and the coffee was made with fresh beans. No chemically tasting frozen coffee. My only recommendation to them would be to get 'grass fed butter' on the buffet. Or at least have it available for people that ask about it. It's not that much more expensive than regular hotel butter, but a lot healthier.

I used their gym every day which is beautiful and state of the art. Would have loved to see dip station or ab station, but really I could do every exercise and muscle group.

Their Spa including their pool is extremely beautiful and clean. The spa girls come in regularly to refill (lemon) water and remove towels from the baskets. The Jacuzzi and steam room are amazing as well. I didn't try the sauna, but I imagine it's no different. I booked a massage at their Spa as well - which was amazing. It's a real experience. I highly recommend it.

Room service was quick and the quality of the food is as good as their breakfast.

I used their concierge service a few times to send and receive some packages. They were always happy to take care of it for me, sent it quickly and provided me with tracking numbers at - I think - no extra charge for what DHL charges them.

Housekeeping did a great job too and I'd grown quite accustomed to the the 'turn down service' with nice little details as a poem on the bed etc.

Last but not least, a big shootout to the nice gentleman that refilled the mini bar and nespresso cups. he apologised one day for not having the black variant anymore and said they were out for the day. He explained me the different kinds of remaining tastes (blue and brown). I told him my favourite one was the purple one and the next day he showed up at my doorstep with a full tube of purple nespresso cups in a shopping bag (it looked like he had gotten at the store for me). Many thanks!

Make no mistake, the Waldorf Astoria is a gorgeous hotel. Really, everything inside the place has been thought through many times. Kudos to the architects. But what really makes this place tick is the staff. As a serial business owner I just love to see it when a company makes their employees feel appreciated and motivated. Waldorf Astoria Berlin has done just that and as a result they made me feel appreciated.

So by now you're probably wondering if I really have nothing negative to say? Well if you're willing to look hard for it, I'm sure you can always find something. Sure, there was a small struggle I had with their Wifi, a broken light in the bathroom mirror and well, that pricey breakfast. But it's nothing that wouldn't make want to come back to this hotel again. In fact, I cannot wait to get back to Berlin and enjoy a couple of days here.

I wish I remembered all of your names like you did mine - but I'd like to thank each and everyone of you for making my stay an extremely pleasant one.

Room Tip: The rooms are really spacious by default. So you're better off chosing a room with a view than a...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank WytzeNL

Dear Guest

You have written "the best hotel I've ever stayed at" - that is the greatest plaudits what we can get. But our thank you goes back to you: you are an fabulous guest and we are delighted to be attentive to your needs and wishes.

The best and warm greetings from each team member of the Waldorf Astoria Berlin
... and see you soon!

Reviewed September 30, 2013

First of all this hotel had a breakfast that was the most amazing ever. The hotel in itself is very new and technically advanced. Comfortable beds, delicious smelling custom soap/shampoo/lotion, is quite, has a pool and steam room that is beautiful and even in the room fabulous amazing bathrooms, free computer use in each room, tvs in the mirrors too! Their concierge were very knowledgeable and most importantly thorough. Customer service all around was just perfect! The hotel is right next to the subway which takes you all over the city and near a beautiful park (Tiergarden). STAY HERE, you will not regret it.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Gregor A, Manager at Waldorf Astoria Berlin, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2014

Thank you for your heartfelt comments on Tripadvisor! We are pleased to read that you have had a fantastic stay and found the staff made your stay memorable and enjoyable, it is a big pleasure to receive such positive feedback.

We are looking forward to welcoming you at the Waldorf Astoria Berlin very soon again.

Reviewed September 25, 2013

Everything about this property was fantastic. Everyone from the front desk to concierge to housekeeping to the spa staff were amazing. The breakfast staff were also extremely friendly and attentive. On-point service in a comfortable and beautiful hotel. The hotel is situated in an amazing area, very close to the tiergarten and ka-de-wie is a few blocks away....there is a U-Bahn and S-Bahn station across the street if you prefer not to take cabs. Rooms are extremely well appointed with top of the line amenities and technology. This was my first time in Berlin and although the city was a major reason for me wanting to come back, the hotel also made a great impression. We will definitely return!!!

Room Tip: Choose one of the Jr Suites if you don't mind spending the $$ for the upgrade, they are extremel...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Friedrich N, Manager at Waldorf Astoria Berlin, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2013

Dear Guests of the Waldorf Astoria Berlin

Thank you for such an heartfelt review to your stay.

What can we say .... whenever your travel brings you back this way, we are delighted to welcome you at our hotel!

Best regards and a nice and wonderful time