“A nice couple of hours in Berlin”

Charlottenburg Palace
Ranked #82 of 962 things to do in Berlin
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Built from 1695–99 as a summer residence for Sophie Charlotte, this palace is a stunning example of baroque architecture.
Reviewed July 29, 2015

Well worth a visit e17 gets you in here and also The New Palace. Some of the rooms are quite awesome particularly the porcelien room - porcelien in every form you can imagine. There are also nice gardens to wonder around and a mausoleum.

Worth about 3 hours of your time.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,831)
All reviews
in 119 reviews
"mausoleum"
in 65 reviews

Reviewed July 29, 2015

It's not so great as one might think. In my second visit to Berlin I skipped this one during my tour. I preferred to see Sans Souci palace.

Reviewed July 28, 2015

This is a lovely palace to visit in Berlin with beautiful gardens based upon those at Versailles. The palace is beautiful and is very unique as Queen Charlotte seemed to be a porcelain hoarder! There is porcelain everywhere and onspectacular room that is completely decorted- walls and all- in porcelain. The price is very affordable and the English audioguide is straight to the point and sassy. It is very easy to get to by UBahn and the surrounding neighborhood is lovely with plenty of places to eat. Plan on a few hours if you are going to stroll in the gardens.

1  Thank Heidi D
Reviewed July 28, 2015

The problem with Charlottenburg neighbourhood is that all the attractions are far from each other. So if you have time to go all the way to Charlottenburg Palace, it is a beautiful landmark, and the sight is really worth it. But I wouldn't plan my schedule around it if my time in Berlin was limited.

See more reviews
Reviewed July 25, 2015

My husband, daughter & I visited the palace whilst on a 4 day trip to Berlin as it was in the top 10 places to visit. We were slightly underwhelmed on arrival as there is scaffolding around part of the palace while it is under refurbishment. Whilst we appreciate this has to be done it did spoil the wow factor we were expecting.
We paid 25€ for a family ticket to enter the old and new place and also paid 3€ to be able to take photographs. We did feel this was a rip off but having made the journey there it would be silly not to be able to take photos to show family on our return.
Once we had received our audio guides we entered the first room where there was a male member of staff who was going between room 1 & 2 on patrol. When we entered the 2nd room we stood back to take in what was being talked about on the audio guide only to be barked at by the member of staff as there was a tapestry on the wall between the windows. We moved away and another visitor entered the room and did the same and was told off too!! I would like to suggest that a barrier/cordon be put around this as when you enter the room it is not obvious that there is a valuable item to be avoided -they are usually behind a cordon!!
Overall we enjoyed the tour as there are some stunning rooms in the palace but felt some of the staff were rude and not very welcoming as you made your way around.

2  Thank Sarah B