“Lovely museum but be careful of the staff!”

Old National Gallery (Alte Nationalgalerie)
Book In Advance
More Info
$117.55*
and up
Berlin Pass Including Entry to More Than 50...
Ranked #76 of 974 things to do in Berlin
More attraction details
Owner description: National Gallery collection of 18th, 19th and 20th century artists, including Rodin, Cezanne, Degas and Liebermann.
Reviewed July 16, 2012

We headed to the National museum on our final day in berlin, we enjoyed the ground floor sculptures and paintings all was going fine until I encountered one of the most aggressive people ever - I was carrying a small handbag on my shoulder which she had a problem with - I speak a little german and explained that I couldn't understand her - she continued shouting at me in german at the top of her voice - german bystanders stepped in to translate but then said to me that she was being strange and I should just go to another room but she kept blocking my exit and shouting in german at me - I managed to get away from her and promptly left the museum after complaining to reception. I had passed about 10 other security personnel who had been fine. I heard her shouting another tourist 5 minutes later. I understand it’s irrational to expect people to speak another language but shouting it won’t make them understand either - there are ways of communicating that aren’t aggressive. It’s a shame it put a dampener on an otherwise amazing trip!

2  Thank Biddieboo
"greek temple"
in 3 reviews
"coat check"

Reviewed May 27, 2012

Old National Gallery has collection of classical, romantic, impressioninst and early modernist.
It is situated in the middle of the Berlin Museum Island Complex,

Reviewed May 5, 2012

This museum contains mainly German art of the 19th century. A lot of it is pretty but forgettable. One room contains a few pieces of French painting from the same period--minor works by Manet, Van Gogh, and Monet. Our immediate impression was that we would rather look at these minor works than at the major German works that fill the rest of the
museum. This may just indicate our ignorance about German art. This is an enjoyable stop on Museum Island, and not crowded.

1  Thank tallpinesCO
Reviewed March 4, 2012

You won't find any superstars of the art world here, but of you are a German history buff you may find something of interest. We enjoyed seeing some paintings of Friedrich the Great that we recognized from German and history books, ut over all this isn't a show-stopping place. The docents are very hostile towards little children. Don't come with anyone younger than 13 or be prepared to be stalked and scolded everywhere you go!