“Beautiful architecture but dissapointing works”

New National Gallery (Neue Nationalgalerie)
Ranked #203 of 939 things to do in Berlin
Reviewed August 4, 2014

The building from the outside looks good, but there aren't a lot of works inside. I remember the Expressionist part was not on show at the moment I went there, maybe that is what made the museum a bit dull. The museum acts as an introduction to modern art. It has quite a few pieces of famous modern artists, but only one or two pieces for each artist.
I was quite surprised after I finish viewing one floor and there was nothing left. I would hope that it will have more to view.

Reviewed August 2, 2014

I only had a short stay in Berlin, and didn't think I had time to do the museums on Museuminsel justice. I therefore picked the New National Gallery as being of manageable size for my dose of 'culture' - and while I don't claim to understand much of modern art I do like some of it! I wasn't disappointed in my choice, and spent a couple of hours here. The modern Mies van der Rohe building is impressive from the outside, and the gallery space is well suited to the post-1960 third of the collection currently on display during my visit - though one of the older two-thirds may have been more to my personal taste!

I missed having a plan and/or descriptive handout, though the information on the walls of each room helped a lot.

The cafe served excellent coffee and cakes but the bookshop was somewhat cramped and didn't seem to have many English titles.

The entrance fee is €8 (no discount with the Berlin Welcome Card; not covered by the Museuminsel card; free with the Berlin Museum Card), and I thought this was reasonable.

Reviewed July 30, 2014

Make sure you check the collection that they are showing as this keeps on changing. This Museum has much more pieces than space to Display it. You should be familiar with art of the 21.st century as it might appear strange to you.
Nice Cafeteria in the Basement and also nice shop run by Walther König.

Reviewed July 6, 2014

The building is worth seeing, and there's a sculpture garden too. As other reviewers have commented, the space is too small to have the entire collection on display, so it's divided into three periods. Currently showing as the 'permanent' exhibition is what I guess you'd call post-modern (1960-present). A lot of this seemed to be the kind of stuff that tends to win the Turner prize, so be warned if that's not to your taste. There is also a space on the entry floor for temporary exhibitions.

See more reviews
Reviewed July 4, 2014

As others have noted, this is a nice museum with a great collection of modern art. The trouble is that they only have enough space for 1/3 of their collection, so you are stuck with the "era" that is on display at the time. The collection is divided into time periods. I saw the most recent (about 1960-today) -- generally not my cup of tea, but I knew what I getting into before I bought the ticket (there are clear exhibit descriptions before entering). The space is nice, and it is not nearly as crowded as other museums in Berlin (the location helps cut down on the traffic -- though note that it is walking distance from pretty much everything -- right down the street from Potsdamer Platz).

Anyhow, if modern art is your thing, it's worth a visit. You might want to contact the museum first to see what part of their collection will be on display for your visit.