“underground exhibitions unworthy”

New National Gallery (Neue Nationalgalerie)
Ranked #203 of 841 things to do in Berlin
Reviewed March 21, 2013

The Mies building itself is way better than the exhibition which makes me feel the ticket is not worthy. The facilities and collections are all hided in the underground level while there is nearly nothing but an huge empty space above the ground.

There are newer reviews for New National Gallery (Neue Nationalgalerie)

Reviewed March 3, 2013

The building and sculpture garden around it deserve high points, but I'm somewhat split when it comes to the current exhibition, "Divided heaven". The curatorial ideas are pretty murky and self-contradictory, on the one hand putting forward the east-west divisions in art, on the other aiming to present the whole global art scene. Because of its high ambitions and lack of space, this instalment fails in both, and there's a lot of raffle around the truly important works that they have. The previous instalment was much more coherent. I understand they don't have enough room to show the whole permanent collection at once, but maybe they should store away some of the mediocre stuff and make better use of the ground floor. Besides, the museum has a very dowdy air about it for a place for modern art: the guards are rude and they don't even allow you to carry in a usual handbag - although they don't have lockers, just a cloakroom, the food in the cafe seems to be running out a few hours before closing time and they don't take cards.

1  Thank PickyTrippers
Reviewed January 21, 2013

Our visit did not start well when the cloakroom woman insisted I hand over my handbag telling me I would not be allowed in the exhibition with it. I have visited many museums now in several European countries and many better known than this one. I refused. I refused to hand over my handbag containing money, passport, flight documents, credit cards, mobile phone, etc and went to get a refund on my ticket.

I told the ticket seller why I wanted a refund and eventually was told it is not the woman job to tell people what they can take into the museum, but the ticket checkers at the door. Handbag and backpack OK!

Re-purchased our tickets, went back to cloakroom to hand over coats to the woman who didn't say a word this time, not even an apology.

Exhibition itself small and for the price of the tickets, not such good value. Some interesting peices but I think one can do better for time, value and interest while in Berlin.

But the building is interesting with the appearance of being empty on ground floor, as museum in below ground and street view.

2  Thank starmagnolia
Reviewed January 5, 2013

To quote art critic Robert Hughes: 'there is good Mies and there is bad Mies'. This is Van der Hohe at his worst. The whole ground floor is nothing but empty space. The collection is stuck in the basement. It looks as silly and it sounds. The proof that a big name doesn't make a big building.

Reviewed December 28, 2012 via mobile

The building that houses the neue nationalgalerie is astonishing in its monumentality and lightness. The collection is not that impressing. There are some interesting works of modern art but not enough to leave the museum with a "Wauw" feeling.

1  Thank tom m