“A Gem in Berlin”

Ranked #11 of 187 Berlin B&B and Inns
Madison, WI
“A Gem in Berlin”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

I can't say enough positive things about the hotel. The location is great - in Wilmersdorff, not far from the Ku'damm, well within walking distance of two U-bahn stops, an S-bahn stop, as well as the bus. The place is kept spotlessly clean. Breakfast is plentiful and delicious. The room rate is very reasonable. Christian, the owner has an engaging personality and is fun to chat with. I just finished my second stay in three years, and look forward to a third.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Polish first
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2012

My husband & two adult children had 2 rooms for our 2 night stay in Berlin. The hotel was in a great location. Christian had provided excellent directions to the hotel using public transport & there was just a short walk from the bus stop to the hotel. The hotel is about 10 minutes by bus from the centre of Berlin. The hotel is on the 3rd floor & there is a lift. The rooms are basic, but very clean & comfortable. Breakfast was very good & Christian is extremely helpful, providing maps & sightseeing tips & even has bus passes & works out which one is the best value. Rooms are very quiet, as well. I would recommend to anyone wanting good value accommodation close to transport

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Manchester-by-the-Sea, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2012

Christian and his family have created a wonderful hotel experience right off Ku'dam in Berlin. From the outset, Christian is very welcoming and helpful. He has maps and transit passes for purchase right there, which is a great help. Check in was fast and easy and he continued to be helpful during my 5 night stay.

All rooms are on one floor of the building. There is a small elevator that brings you from street level right to the floor of the pension. My room was right off the elevator and reception area, but I never heard any noise from either within my room. There is a good internal door system so things stay fairly quiet. The only noise I heard was from neighbors using the inner courtyard, but they quieted down as the night wore on. The room was comfortable, clean and good-sized, as was the bathroom. I felt completely at home and was comfortable spending time in the room at night.

Breakfast is wonderful and has many offerings. I never had trouble getting a spot for breakfast and found the other guests friendly.

There is a corner store which sells water, soda and snacks right at the top of the street. Several restaurants are nearby and Ku'dam is about a 3 minute walk. My only complaint was not related to the hotel but to the fact that it took a couple U-bahn lines to get to some sights, which was tough at the end of a long day heading back to the hotel for the night, then having to walk back down Ku'dam to the hotel. But that can happen in any big city.

I'd definitely revisit Hotel-Pension Bregenz when I return! Thank you Christian!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank amybatt
Saginaw, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2012

Hotel-Pension Bregenz proved to be just what I needed for my first visit to Berlin (a 13-day stay). It is located in a quiet neighborhood, just 4 blocks away from the famous shopping street Kurfuerstendamm and the bus stop at Olivaerplatz. After breakfast, Herr Christian Gamradt, the friendly host and native Berliner, would give me a map with the bus number or underground location that would provide the best journey to my destination for the day. He would suggest other sites nearby to my primary one, as well.

The check-in desk was right there in the breakfast room, and Herr Gamradt was always present at breakfast, ready to resupply the plentiful and varied breakfast buffet, clear away dishes, check out travelers leaving, or give suggestions, if asked. The first day, he made two phone calls for me, helping me to obtain an appointment to visit the Bonhoeffer House, and to check on the best strategy to visit another site. He was well stocked with daily and weekly tickets for local transportation, good quality postcards and stamps, all at reasonable prices, and lots of travel pamphlets. The amount of time saved was terrific. On the day that I was going to Potsdam, I skipped breakfast and slept in late. The visit I made to the Sansouci Palace was pretty much a bust. If I had only discussed my plans with Christian, I'm sure he would have told me which bus stop to leave the bus and advise me on obtaining my ticket as soon as I arrived. As it ended up, I walked a mile (no exaggeration) from one end of the property to the other, and arrived too late to buy a ticket for that day. All I gained that day were lunch, very sore feet, and a bus ride from the train station to the gigantic property and back.

I was happy to accept an upgrade to a large double room, since I was staying 13 nights. The daily rate was also discounted. I had requested a quiet room and received one on the courtyard side. A small refrigerator contained various mineral waters, soft drinks, and alcohol. The price list (reasonable) for these items (along with a can of nuts and a package of chips for purchase) lay on the glass table between two chairs.

The bed was comfortable, the room bright and clean. Adequate storage for clothing included a closet, with a safe. The small, old-fashioned TV had about 15 stations, all in German, except for CNN and another channel. The bathroom included a tub and a rudimentary shower located at the middle of the tub. I was offered to move to another (smaller) room, if I wanted a regular shower. I opted to keep the larger room. A small wrapped soap was provided each day for baths, and a dispenser of soap was located on the wall next to the sink. A hair dryer was also provided. I was thrilled to see a well-working, 3-speed fan on a stand. Though a large window allowed lots of light into the room and could be opened for air, the temperature varied widely from one week to the next; thus the fan was a welcome sight for me (last 2 weeks in August).

Free wi-fi was available, should you have your own connecting device. Since I didn't, I used the high-speed internet pay station (1 Euro for 30 min.), which I used numerous times and worked well.

Hotel-Pension Bregenz fit my needs and priorities very well -- friendly, family-run, with priority on practicality and service. If you are looking for modern, or wish to be able to walk quickly to sights from your door, look elsewhere. For the 13 days I was there, I felt at home.

Room Tip: If the fire escape diagram was drawn to approximate size, then I had one of the few large rooms. I...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank tuggeroo
West Palm Beach, FL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2012

We loved staying at this wonderfully located b&b. Our host, Christian, was extremely helpful with city sight seeing advices, he & his family made us feel welcome with our child, and generally it felt like a family home. The location is great, very close to it all but very quiet and peaceful, with several good restaurants near by. The rooms and bathrooms are spacious, our room was very large. It is not luxuriously furnished, but very comfortable and practical. Breakfast was good. Excellent choice for families and for travelers who prefer human contact over a sterile hotel environment.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank JaWestPalmBeach
Altadena, California, USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

We stayed three nights at the Hotel Bregenz in late July. The hotel is excellently located though we did have to use public transportation to get around--Berlin is a big city. The proprietor was friendly and knowledgeable; the breakfast quite nice. The room itself was fine, though unremarkable. Only one complaint: the sun streams in the bedroom windows early in the morning. Don't plan on sleeping in.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank AltadenaTraveller
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2012

I chose the Hotel-Pension Bregenz based on comments of other Trip Advisor reviews, and found the positives all justified by our experience. Location is quiet yet close to everything (once you get used to the public transport system). Cleanliness of facilities excellent, breakfast fresh and healthy, Christian and his charming wife always ready with a smile. Instead of the impersonal scripts of the major chains you meet a real Berliner (I'm not talking sugar-topped doughnuts here); whatever your interests, suggestions are lightly made as to things you might enjoy doing. For instance, Christian suggested we could easily travel as far as Potsdam to see Frederick the Great's palaces, and to the beautiful Peacock Island near Wannsee; these turned out to be some our most enjoyable excursions. There is only so much history one can take when travelling (no matter how many museums one planned to visit). With the guidance of a relaxed and friendly host, there are many low -cost yet intriguing and pleasant options you would not know about even from the top 'official' guidebooks. The plumbing may be a little eccentric - well, a few odd noises and poor drainage in a shower - but perfectly OK. Wi-fi good to keep in touch with home. Only lack - a kettle in the room to make a cup of tea at night. I would stay here again if I get the chance. Get the 109 bus from the airport, get off at Adenauerplatz and you are three minutes walk away from arriving to a place you can unwind and prepare to explore the rich and tragic story of Berlin.

Room Tip: Some rooms have pleasant balconies overlooking the street: others overlook the internal courtyard: n...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple