“Wifi not free!”

Ranked #80 of 349 Specialty Lodging in Berlin
Beijing, China
“Wifi not free!”
Reviewed February 7, 2013

Cons: wifi not free. Far away from the nearest subway station. Too expensive compared to wombats. Big hostel, no atmosphere.
Pros: Good wooden bunks, making little noise when you climb onto it. The breakfast is very good, hotel level. 6 euro dinner is good, too.

When I was there, I met the greatest snorer in this world. He actually snores like a hippo. I feel like that I was sleeping in a zoo. And he is pretty old, definately older than 26. I remembered that they have an age limit. Maybe I am wrong.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Jackie_Hu

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Reviewed January 1, 2013

I came on a school trip for 5 days, and it wasn't too bad but I really did not like it
For starters, going through the front door there is a poster of 3 or 4 men on a CCTV camera and they were wanted by the police. Great. I mean, what kind of place have they booked us in. We had to collect our scratchy thin bedding and take it up to our rooms. On the whole the hostel was quite nice. Nice big spacious windows, big wide halls. We went up 2 flights of stairs to our floor which was all girls. We get in and it's a decent room. Two bunk beds one of them with a pull out bed. The quilts were okay, a few stains, I wouldn't say they were pee stains but they could easily have been! I made the beds and had quite a comfortable nights sleep.

The toilets and showers were average. Bit mucky, hair around the edges. Since we had an all girl floor, we used the lads showers aswell. They were very odd temperatures too hot or two cold no middle really.

The food was awful. It's basically just meat, a sauce, smash and salad covered in a garlicky mayo sauce. I don't really eat mayo so I passed and snacked on mash which was watery. I ended up buying a pizza every night (which was about 6 euro for a £2 freezer pizza from lidel) and one night I had a subway. You couldn't really moan at breakfast, cereal, sandwhiches, toast and boiled egg. if you don't like sandwiches you're not eating, since its all that is available for lunch.

The location was fab! We were dragged out loads to go and walk around Berlin. It was about a 10 minute wall to the city, with a large shopping mall and a extremely good theatre.

You can't really complain about the company. The Aussie lads are gorgeous.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank S0ckz
Memphis, Tennessee
Reviewed July 15, 2012

I stayed there with my University group from Heidelberg and so I am not sure how good everything is for the price. But, the rooms were sparse and not the most comfortable beds. Breakfast was included for us and it was fantastic! Tons to eat and lots of variety for food and drink. Location wise, it was just OK. Near Potsdamer Platz which is great for shopping and for food among other things and close to a bus stop and subway stop which was convenient. It was really large though and lots of younger people who were socializing a lot in the hallway (thankfully not too late at night). The service we got was great and they have a luggage room for free. Locks were also free which I appreciated. Overall, an OK place in general. Nothing was overdone or really nice besides the breakfast.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Olivia W
Perth, Australia
Reviewed June 13, 2012

The hotel is within walking distance to the Potsdamer Platz, and there is a bus close by to take you there as well. It is huge, so there are a lot of school groups that stay there, making it quite noisy. the breakfast and dinner is good, and it is clean, and the staff are friendly, but my room was changed when Iarrived, and although it worked out cheaper it was not what I had requested.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Caitlin H
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed January 23, 2011

The basics were fine in this hostel, but the service elements were lacking.

The pluses:
+ Good base to explore the city from.
+ Good dorms: the 2 different 4-bed dorms I stayed in were clean, spacious and had nice big windows that let in natural light. I also liked that we could control the heater temperature from within the room, and also open the windows for fresh air. I liked that they had a small table and chairs in them too.
+ The toilets and showers in the "annex" were clean and fresh. Although there was only 2 of each for that floor, there was never a queue for them while I was there.
+ Cleaning and maintenance staff were friendly and helpful.
+ The area looks a bit shady but actually I felt quite safe, even walking home late at night on my own.
+ Generally I felt safe staying here as a solo female.

Minuses:
- The toilets and showers in the main building were dirty and smelled really badly too (maybe because too many people were using them?).
- Reception service was painful (regardless if conducted in German or English). One or two of the staff had very poor customer service skills: no eye contact, shrugs, not acknowledging you when you were standing in front of them waiting for service, wandering off and starting something else in the middle of dealing with you, etc.
- Security not great: Lockers in the dorm were pointless: one key opened 3 out of the 4 lockers in our room!! On two occasions during my stay, the locker doors got stuck closed and roommates had to get a maintenance person to come and open them... not good if you're in a hurry to leave, catch a flight, etc. There are safes downstairs, but you have to pay extra for them.

And some non-essentials, but that would have been nice:
- No comfortable common areas in the hostel. No sign of this fussball table that the reviewer above commented on.
- Adequate breakfast: fine for one or two mornings. But none of the pastries or hot food that the reviewer above mentions.
- There is a bar, but good luck getting someone from reception to serve you. Nowhere to get or make a tea/ coffee during the day.

I was disappointed with this hostel, overall, compared to other hostels in the Hostelling International group. It was adequate, but could have been so much better.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank mstranslate

Travelers are raving about these Berlin hotels

Europe
Reviewed November 6, 2009

The dorms are spacious and have the extra bonus of having en-suite bathrooms, which were spotless. The dorms have comfortable bunkbeds, large windows and are kept very cosy by the hunge radiators (which is very handy if it's -13 degrees celcius like it was when we were there!). There's a buffet breakfast included in the fee, which is in a huge cafeteria. There's everything - cereal, toast, French pastries, German breakfast food, hot bacon and eggs, different types of fruit juice and hot drinks - you couldn't ask for more! There's also a 24hour bar and a games room with foosball/pool etc. This is probably one of the best youth hostels I've ever stayed in. It looks a bit like a casaulty of 1960s concrete architecture on the outside, but with so much good stuff inside it doesn't matter.
We also noticed there was a nice garden and BBQ outside which would be lovely in the summer.
The location is perfect - 10 minutes' walk to the Brandenburg Gate and a couple of streets away from the Metro station.
Staff were very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled with friends