“Good Place to stay for a few days”

Globetrotter Hostel Odyssee
Ranked #101 of 362 Specialty Lodging in Berlin
Reviewed November 15, 2012

Despite it's location, far from the city center you can count with a subway station only 2 blocks away from it. It's not on the corner, but also not that far. Not being close to the city center means also that the hostel is pretty close to a bunch of bars and restaurants what can be very interesting to those who want to visit the city during the day and hang out in a place close to the hostel at night.

There a lot of options, from sports bar where you can watch soccer to Indian restaurants.

The hostel is very clean and washrooms were always in perfect conditions to be used, they also have very good showers.

The rooms are OK, nothing to complain about it, I just had a problem with a window that could not be closed and the room temperature was very trick to adjust due to this. I just realized this problem when I was leaving and when notified the hostel crew they at least seamed to be concerned about fixing that.

The 3 euro breakfast is a good option if you don't want to bother and search for something else around.All you get from this is some bread, and stuff to put on it - as cheese, jam,etc... and cereals.... any juice cost you some extra Euro.

Wi-Fi signal is great and cost you nothing extra.

Regarding the hostel crew this is a tricky point to talk about... when I arrived at night, the guy who was at the reception at the computer didn't look like happy to receive someone a bit late.
He was more concerned about the music he was listening to then about checking me in.

After this unpleasant first contact a second guy came and helped much better giving me information about sheets and towels... On the next days during the mornings the crew (the girls) were very very helpfull and friendly, so would be unfair to say that the crew is bad, but my experience at the arrival was not good.

Would stay in this place again, but would ask for a room that does not face the outside smoking area. People who smoke get together and have a very loud conversations that can be pretty annoying if you are trying to sleep late at night.

Room Tip: There are no lifts on this building. If you have big bags ask for a room on the 1st floor.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Felipeou

Reviewed November 4, 2012

i loved to stay there for couple of days. anything i asked (and i had a lot of questions) all staff we at the service all the time and found me an answer. even housekeeping woman talked in english ;)

hostel is all the time very clean and i was a bit affraid as prices are not high. connection to the center is very good and travel time is very short.

when you visit Berlin you stay in Odyssee hostel. ask for Sven (he is working there) and Micha (he is not working there ;)). very cool guys..

regards from Ljubljana

Room Tip: twin room with several motives. all of them are 'schoon'
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 26, 2012

ok hostel, big rooms, comfortable beds, lockers big enough for your pack but you do need a padlock (can buy from reception). great breakfast but not included. well equiped guest kitchen but this doesnt open until late (therefore forcing you to buy the breakfast!). showers were curtained only with no area to get dressed, bathroom door opened into main corridor so no privacy, also not clean at all. staff not very helpful, one guy wouldnt sell us beer coz he was doing bookwork! unfortunately seems to also accept large school groups so was very noisy. quite far from the tourist area, need to take a tram/train. take away stores and supermarket about 10 min walk.

Room Tip: bathrooms downstairs by the kitchen are ok
Reviewed October 17, 2012

Very nice hostel and really close to the Frankfurter Tor metro. Stayed in a 6-bed dorm, but only had two girls with me. $3 all you can eat breakfast, wi-fi available to everyone and nice atmosphere and they charge 3 euros for sheets and towels, which are returned at the end of the stay, if you return them. As in any other hostels, never forget your flip-flops to the shower. The only drawback is that the hostel has no elevator, so you have to carry your bags or backpacks upstairs. NEVER lose your guestcard, if you don´t have one, you´re not allowed in the rooms area, I saw a girl who wanted to bring her friend upstairs and the recepcionist said NO, so it is also a little secure. I´d surely recommend it.

Reviewed October 14, 2012

Loved our stay at this hostel. We stayed in a big, clean, modern 26-bed dorms divided up into sections so it felt like we had our own space. Lockers/draw provided under every bed. GREAT bathrooms (modern and clean). Close to cheap restaurants, supermarkets, walking distance to all the clubs and train station. Sheets, doona, pillow case and towels provided free. Great breakfast for 3euros.

Room Tip: 24 bed dorm divided into sections so very quiet and big!!
Reviewed September 20, 2012 via mobile

Apart from being conveniently close to everything, I found odyssee hostel not quite reaching the expectations I was hoping for.
For starters, check in wasn't until 4pm in the afternoon which was unable to be negotiated although our room was ready and after being in transit all night.
The kitchen was opened from 10am to 10pm, so an early breakfast before sight seeing was out of the question (unless you purchased the hostel's pricey breakfast menu).
Majority of staff were quite friendly yet some of their dedication to customer satisfaction was questionable, especially when being asked the simplest of questions and guidance.
Wifi was terrible as was everyone else's in the eight person dorm I shared with.
Odyssee definitely has the potential to be a magnificent hostel experience with more attention payed to customer satisfaction.

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed August 19, 2012

I have stayed at this hostel twice, now. Once in February 2009 and again in March/April 2011; both for a huge music festival.

The first time I stayed, I booked a single room with shower. I'm not big on rooming and showering with strangers so I paid a little extra for my own room. Being my first time staying in a hostel, I was actually impressed with the cleanliness and size of the room. The shower was just a typical European small stall. There was also a sink in the room. The toilet area (two stalls with two sinks) was just down the hall, and was almost always empty.

The reception area is nice, but dark. There's a pool table and a couple of other tables around for socializing. Beer prices were good. I didn't mind the return the key when you leave thing, but I was also by myself in my own room. The staff was really nice but not exactly conversational. The airline had lost my luggage on the way over but delivered it sometime while I was out on my first night and kept it secure in their luggage room until I returned (and promptly opened it to grab my wool jacket that I had packed; it was freezing cold outside).

The second time I stayed, I stayed in a double room with a shower with a friend. Nothing much had changed since the time we stayed previously. When I had attempted to book it online the 2nd time, their website stated they were sold out but when I inquired about it they sent me a prompt email saying that they would do everything to accommodate us and they did.

Pros
- Great neighborhood
- Competitive prices
- Clean rooms and common areas
- Close to all forms of transportation
- 24 hour reception
- Internet in reception

Cons
- Seems that most of the non-dorm rooms are on the high floors; no elevator
- Not too much of a sociable type atmosphere
- Can't take beer to rooms

Would more than likely stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank TxDevil