3,504 results
All reviews checkpoint charlie privilege suite family suite check point charlie great hotel quiet street separate toilet coffee machine around the corner huge room within walking distance excellent location unter den linden sitting area shower room superior room small balcony
Reviewed August 18, 2010

Had stayed at the hotel in 2009 staying in a family suite comprising of two good sized bedrooms, bathroom and WC - very impressed with the accommodation.

Re-booked for 2010 and have to admit not quite so happy this time round. Again, booked a family suite but bedrooms (and bathroom) in this were considerably smaller. Also, whereas the suite last year had a good size bedroom with a desk and wardrobes, this time round the bed in the second room was a sofa bed, no wardrobes. Fine for small children, but not for our 17 year old. Thems the breaks, I guess.

On our next visit to Berlin, will definitely look again at the Mercure, but will also be looking to see if can get a better deal elsewhere, will not be an automatic return.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed August 16, 2010

The Mercure Hotel staff was friendly, helpful and professional. All questions answered; all wishes granted. The breakfasts are absolutely superb (we remain grateful that our room arrangement was inclusive breakfast!). Endless buffet offerings to get you truly prepared for each day. In addition the hotel bar and bistro serves good food and drink til late in the evening - until 01:00 the weekend we arrived.

The triple room we stayed in was roomy despite its narrowness, with separate bathroom and toilet, and plenty of wall outlets (a personal favorite). Hotel staff puts the rooms back in fine shape each morning. The Mercure has a great location within walking distance to Checkpoint Charlie (duh) as well as many other sites, shopping, places to eat, etc. We ended up extending our stay to six nights and it wasn't nearly enough.

Internet availability is provided by a single wired terminal available for guests next to the reception desk , and a fairly slow WiFi signal throughout the lobby. So what. You should be outside seeing Berlin.

The "fitness room" was a bit less than expected, a rather small room on the 7th (top) floor of the hotel comprising an exercise bike and a stair-climber, with an adjoining smaller room with a mat on the floor. Hard to find much inspiration here. Didn't try the sauna. No problem, again, since all the walking and biking we did in Berlin afforded plenty of exercise.

Parking is available from the hotel; the lobby elevator takes you directly to the secured garage level for Mercure guests and costs EUR 13,-- daily. We would definitely fly to Berlin on our next visit, however, as the car wasn't used at all during our visit, and the seven hour drive from Holland isn't very interesting (w/ apologies to those living near the motorway on the way to Berlin).

There are many places to eat near the hotel, or the nearby subway stop takes you anywhere you want to go in the evening. We enjoyed a very nice Italian restaurant a block from the hotel ("Lungomare Trattoria Bar" at Krausenstr.11) for dinners, and late evening coffee.

The recommendation for daily excursions in Berlin is to rent a bike (said the Dutch guy).
Head towards Potsdammer Platz and rent bikes to see this extraordinary city easily and cheaply. We paid EUR 10,-- a bike per 24 hour day, with no deposit.

There's lots to see and do in Berlin. The history is rich and hardly limited to the suffering from WWII and the Cold War. Plenty of other musea! The architecture is amazing. The food, the beer, the shopping, the sites, the nightlife, the people.
Cool town.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed August 15, 2010

I was in town to see Berlin and visit a friend. I found this hotel to be in a good location and a good price. The hotel was clean, the staff friendly, and the room comfortable. There were many attractions within walking distance and the nearby U-bahn station will take you anywhere in Berlin..

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed August 11, 2010

I stayed here on the recommendation of a friend who stayed there with her boyfriend several weeks before my trip. I then did some research and saw how well it was reviewed on TA so I decided to go for it.

The hotel is just off a large main street (which was never busy during my 4 night stay) and is a very short walk from the nearest U-bahn station.

There are several local convenience stores nearby which are handy for water and other amenities.

The lobby of the hotel is small, but the staff at the front desk were extremely helpful, polite and smiley.

We had a normal twin room on one of the top floors of the hotel and it was amazing. A very, very large room. One of the largest I've ever stayed in. It has a reception area to hang coats, bags etc. There's a small living room space with table and chairs. The desk is in the centre of the room, with TV, desk chair, phone and mini-bar underneath, then the beds are on the other end of the room. There are two large windows that open out onto balconies overlooking the light and bright courtyard.

Also, a curious addition to this hotel room (which I love and have never encountered since) is that the toilet is in a separate room to the bathroom. The bathroom itself was of adequate size, with a walk in shower.

There's surround sound throughout the entire room, so when listening to music or the TV the sound is brilliant.

The staff that we encountered during our stay were always helpful and polite. We regularly call down for bottle openers, buckets of ice or glasses and we always had our needs met.

There was a small but perfectly laid out gym spread over two floors. It had a sauna, fitness equipment and excellent shower facilities. It was also open 24 hours.

In terms of room size, this is still the hotel that I compare all others to.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 10, 2010

My wife and I stayed here for 3 nights as part of a tour around Germany. Despite requesting a non smoking room we were placed on the smoking floor (apparently because of the high occupancy rate) which reeked of stale tobacco. This was a real pity as the room itself was enormous with everything you could ever want, including a good quality coffee machine. Sadly there was no decaf available and when I asked about this I was told I would have to buy coffee at the bar. Hmm

The area nearby is excellent though. You are about 200 yards from Checkpoint Charlie, a mile or so from the Berlin Dom/Museum Mile, etc and also the same distance from the Brandenberg Gate/Reichstag area. In all an impressive location.

I would stay again but only in a non smoking room.

There are also plenty of places nearby for Breakfast - so there's no need to prepay for this.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple