Mercure Hotel & Residenz Berlin Checkpoint Charlie
Ranked #33 of 634 Hotels in Berlin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (269)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed August 16, 2014

We stayed at this cosy Mercure in July 2014 as a family of four in a family suite. The suite was very comfortable with 2 separate bedrooms one with a double bed and one with a double sofa bed and balcony.

The room was well appointed with an excellent coffee machine and lots of capsules. Unfortunately they did not have a hot kettle for making tea but we were provided with tea in the morning upon request which we felt was a very nice gesture.

The breakfast spread was good and staff friendly ...

The location is excellent as its right behind check point Charlie ... As a family we love walking and we were able to cover all the key sights such as the Brandenburg Gate, Reichstag, Berlin Wall, Holocaust Museum, Potsdamer Platz, Pergamon Museum and the Boarding point for Spee River cruise on Foot. These are between 5 to 30-40 minute walks from the hotel

There are also a few good eating joints near the Hotel that are quite good and reasonably priced.

Overall for the price we paid for the family suite, we felt this hotel provides excellent value for money as an overall package.

We would certainly stay here again.

1 Thank Vishal T
Sheffield
Reviewed August 14, 2014

Travelled with my dad and my daughter and stayed 7 nights at this hotel. This is our 3rd visit and it has been excellent ever time. There was an initial mix up with our rooms - we booked 2 but there was only 1 when we got there - but this was quickly dealt with and we were given an upgraded room for the inconvenience. rooms are perfectly clean, comfortable and spacious. The coffee machine makes lovely coffee, and tea! Breakfast is plentiful and it's nice to sit outside in the little courtyard garden. All the staff are very friendly and helpful. Our room over looked the courtyard which was slightly noisy at night, but only at the weekend and we probably wouldn't have heard anything if we hadn't had the windows open. The hotel is very convenient for the underground being only 5 minutes from 2 stations. You can also walk to the Berlin Dom in about half an hour, window shopping in Freidrichstrasse on the way. Buses, trams and trains run very regularly making it very easy to get around. Buy a Berlin pass there or before you go. £37.50 gets a 5 day ticket to travel anywhere in the city and allows discounted entry to lots of museums and attractions. It's easy to buy day tickets at all of the stations too.

2 Thank AnnGarySheffield
Gravesend, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 12, 2014

We stayed in this hotel as a family of four, in a suite, which comprised of a double bedroom downstairs, with kitchenette, bathroom and small balcony, air con and tv. Upstairs two double sofa beds and another tv, and balcony with table and chairs.

My two girls slept upstairs, which gave us a break from the kids.

There was a lovely breakfast, buffet, however some days it did get busy. We had our own entrance to our room and did not really go into the main hotel unless for breakfast. Staff very friendly and helpful.

It was very hot when we stayed and had booked this hotel for the air con which worked a treat.

The only thing to know about Berlin is that most shops are closed on a Sunday, which made dinner time difficult on Sunday as the hotel only serves breakfast.

There are a number of Italian places within walking distance, a French restaurant, a number of coffee and sandwich places, along with the obligatory MacDonals, and lots of Starbucks??

The hotel is literally around the corner from Checkpoint Charlie, and within walking distance to Potsdamer Platz, Brandenburg, and Reichstag, we went on a boat cruise which was a bit boring, but did most of our sightseeing walking around.

Room Tip: We stayed in suite 611, nice and quiet,
1 Thank Parm N
London
Reviewed August 10, 2014

I didn't have a single doubt while booking the above hotel: there were so many positive reviews on different travel websites. So I thought I've made a right decision but unfortunately my experience at Mercure was not that pleasant. Anyway, step by step:

I've arrived at the hotel right before midnight. Receptionist was polite but absolutely incompetent. She really didn't know what she was doing. It took the receptionist centuries to register my credit card for a deposit. Luckily, her supervisor or just more experienced colleague was there and finally the issue was sorted.

Another problem was a poor wifi signal in the room though in the public area it was all right. I've told the receptionists about the problem but they kept saying that I need to choose one of the hotel networks and use it. But how could I do that if there was no signal?!

One of the receptionists looked quite irritated while giving me a password for a fast broadband which also didn't work in the room.

To keep that review balanced: The room itself was very spacious and clean with 2 toilets one down and the other upstairs. TV channel selection was great with some HD broadcasters available as well. Bathroom could be a big bigger but it was clean and well maintained. So the room was ok.

Location was also a pro as the hotel is placed close to most tourist attractions.

Another con, however, was a breakfast price: EUR 18. That' definitely too much even for Berlin, in my point of view.

After check out next morning I didn't hear neither "Thank you" nor "Good Bye" - looks like receptionists just didn't care.

Summarising the above: the biggest problem was the attitude of the reception staff. I'll think twice next time before booking that hotel again...

• Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank S P
Spruce Grove, Canada
Reviewed August 10, 2014 via mobile

We are currently staying one night at the Mercure and so far are not impressed. We were reserved a room after our flight was canceled and seem to be treated like refugees. At check in we were given a voucher for meals but when we questioned what price it would cover we were told that the restaurant would tell us what we could have when we went down. ..um mm. ..okay. In the end our options were pasta or chicken and the portions were tiny. Our drinks were also the smallest size and our entire dining experience took 15 minutes. Other guests received bread and butter before the main course, but we weren't even given that because we were on a voucher.
The room appeared decent although a bit old. Once settled I tried to check in for our new flight and couldn't, so I attempted to phone the airline and the phone wouldn't work. I was told I had to give a credit card number just in case I started raking up a phone bill or I could just come and phone in the lobby. I went to the lobby and used the phone, only to be told very rudely after the fact that I owed 4 euros for the 5 minute call. I was shocked and didn't have any money. The reception lady took down my room number and told me "we would settle this later". After everything we've been through there was not a shred of consideration, our best western hotel in berlin let me phone from the lobby and even helped me find the airline number for free.
Finally once in the room for good I looked at the washroom. It is gross. There is hair and dirt in the bathtub and urine stains on the wall by the toilet. I am so exhausted and frustrated with the staff that I can't even phone down and ask them to clean it as I may just burst into tears! I will never voluntarily stay at this hotel again and desperately wish we were back at the Best Western Premier Moa Berlin even if it is far from the airport.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
San Diego
Reviewed August 8, 2014

Our room was very large and bright. The water closet was separate from the shower room which was perfect for us, and the bed was comfortable. You can't beat the breakfasts and the hotel has a great outdoor patio. The location is good if you want to be close to public transport and Checkpoint Charlie, the U Bahn station was only a couple blocks away. And if you are a walker you can walk to many sights. The thing we did not like is the availability of restaurants- we found ourselves taking public transport to find more eating options and outdoor patio dining. While the front desk staff was accommodating when we asked questions about the city, we always felt we were imposing when asking for help. We did ask for early check in as we arrived early and tired and did have to pay extra for this.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple