Mercure Hotel & Residenz Berlin Checkpoint Charlie
Ranked #34 of 634 Hotels in Berlin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (275)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed September 25, 2013

We stayed in this hotel for 5 days in Sept 2013. This hotel is in an ideal position for a tourist wishing to walk to the main attractions, which we did including the isle of museums. We were very impressed by the service and organisation of the hotel. Nothing was too difficult. Service was swift and great every time including trivial requests like ...can I borrow an umbrella.... No issue - there was an umbrella there for us every time. Staff was very friendly, knowledgable and helpful including currency exchange or tour tickets. Very clean spacious room with a comfortable bathroom. A great hotel at reasonable cost. Great apples free for guests in reception!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 25, 2013

Satyed for 3 nights at the Mecure, and I can't fault it from check in to check out. All the staff were extremely pleasany and friendly. Room was large and located on the 1st floor - some noise when bar deliveries arrived but didn't affect us as we up and about to see the great city of Berlin. Room was a great size, air con available and needed as it was quite warm. Very clean through out.
Small points - bigger towels and a kettle (yes there was a strange coffee maker but I prefer traditional method!!!). Fantastic location just round the corner from checkpoint charlie and Friedrich Stasse.
I would have absolutely no hesitation is in returning.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed September 24, 2013 via mobile

A very good choice for accommodation in Berlin. Affordable choice, big rooms, not the most modern styling, but just enough to feel comfortable. Then only thing I wish would be the free wi-fi and availability. The bathrooms are spacious, we had a shower and a bath, and separate toilet is a big plus! Very peaceful room and breakfast, although not the cheapest one, has an excellent selection of all kinds of breakfast choices. And a short elderly lady, like me, really do appreciate a zooming mirror which is reachable! Definitely worth staying a second time, while visiting Berlin.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed September 24, 2013

The hotel is very close to Checkpoint Charlie (3 min walk) and 2 U-Bahn stations (8 min walk). It is also 10 min walk from the Gerdarmenmarkt with dozens of excellent restaurants and concerts during the weekend (French Dome).
The hotel is comfortable and the staff was very friendly. We stayed in a "Priviledge room" that was a size of an appartment. Cheap breakfasts can be taken on Fridriechstrasse in many caffe and bakeries.

Room Tip: It is preferred notto take the smallest room. The big ones are more comfortable and include free WiF...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 22, 2013

Excellent location, excellent very spacious rooms. Friendly and very helpful staff. For business or pleasure I would recomment this hotel. Also recomment the Mark Brandenburg resteraunt. Well positioned all the main attractions.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank 187069Riyadh
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 20, 2013

I've been bombarded by emails from accor and mercure since I returned hoping that I had a nice trip home and asking for feedback - yada yada - which I think I read somewhere is an attempt by hotels to reduce the number of disgruntled guests posting on tripadvisor - so to Mercure / Accor reading this - LEAVE ME ALONE!. As the headline says it is a great clean well located middle range hotel (thin towels and all) let down by it's internet - here is the text of the email reply I sent to one of the many emails I got -

Thank you for your reply. I would prefer not to discuss it on the phone - I can identify the problems I had in an email. The problem is one that many hotels have so you are not alone. It has got to the point that I and many people I know would prefer to pay for breakfast or even pay for using the shower that pay for internet access.

The free internet wifi in the lobby did not work for my laptop (win xp) or my android phone. This may be because the system can only have a certain number of people using it at one time - in which case the phones of the staff and the weather ipad on the counter should be disconnected to allow guests to use it. Alternatively it could be becuase the router is an n router and some computers etc use g or b- in which case the hotel needs a new router that accommodates b and g wifi.

The internet in the room was a good speed for me (I heard one guest complain that the upload speed was not good enough for sending his photographs for work and he would have to go to another hotel the next day). Unfortunately, I was unable to connect my android phone - I think because the system required me to leave a browser window open - which does not seem possible on an android phone.

The night I arrived in Berlin I stayed at Intercity Hotel at Schoenfeld airport. The package had free internet but I had to pay for breakfast if I wanted it. (They also had an English language newspaper, unlike mercure Checkpoint Charlie - which only had a sheet of paper from some company in Liverpool). I was able to connect whenever and wherever I wanted in the hotel -I did have to log in which was a little annoying but I understand that hotels have to have some security and restrictions on their internet.The internet offering in that hotel was much nicer than the one in the Mercure and you might want to look into how they do it and copy them.

I can say that apart from the internet (and to a certain extent the orange carpet - which is not to everyone's taste and the lack of a door on the shower and no English newspapers) I had a really good time at the hotel - the room was great and clean; the bed comfortable; the coffee machine in the room made great coffee; the location fantastic; the staff very friendly; I could say many more good tings about the hotel. But the poor and frustrating internet negates all that - I would not stay again if the internet was not much improved.

Maybe this is an opportunity for Mercure and Accor to do something well that many hotels do badly and maybe become known as the hotels that give fast and free internet to all their guests.

Paul Byrne

Room Tip: a room on the courtyard side is theoretically quieter but the street is pretty quiet and the windows...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business