NH Berlin Kreuzberg
$434
$319
$276
  • Restaurant
All reviewsliving roomfitted kitchenkept tidyus feel at homequiet areagreat hotelspacious apartmenthandy locationsix nightsmetro stopno air conditioningfamily roomhot wateralexander platzper dayshort walkpublic transport
Reviewed May 28, 2009

Two of us stayed here for seven nights. This is my third hotel stay in Berlin. I previously stayed in NH Hotel Berlin City West, which is also excellent, but I think I would choose this hotel for my next trip because of the location.

We chose a junior suite. Our suite was quite large, with a full kitchen, big living room (couch, coffee table, TV, desk, chairs), small bedroom (separated from the living room by glass doors), a large bathroom, lots of closet space, and lots of big windows. Our only complaint was the lack of a small dining table and chairs to go with the nice kitchen.

The location is excellent. The hotel is on the block next to a large park (not visible from the rooms) with an artificial lake and lakeside cafe. There are many local pubs/restaurants with outdoor seating along the park that runs down to Oranienstrasse. On the same block you can also find a supermarket, bakery, convenience stores, and a nice restaurant. We enjoyed fixing breakfast in our own kitchen.

Although it is in a residential area, the location is also convenient to tourist activities. It's a short walk to the U8 subway line (to go north to the Alexanderplatz area) or the M29 bus (to go west to the Zoo area). It's on the edge of the Kreuzberg district, a fun part of town with a large immigrant community that makes for a wide variety of restaurants and shops, some of the most diverse you will find in Germany. If you like to walk, a 20-30 minute walk will get you to the Jewish Museum, East Side Gallery, or the Museumsinsel for example.

The hotel staff were outstanding. For the first night my room faced the back where there is a construction site that starts up at 7 am. I asked to move to the front of the hotel (facing the courtyard) and the gentleman in charge quickly accommodated me in the friendliest possible way. They were also great about small requests such as an extra blanket.

In the first room I occupied there was some minor damage to furniture (rips in cushions and curtains). The second room was fine. The hotel does not have fantastic amenities or decor, which I don't care about.

Considering the size of the suite and the location, I thought the value for money was excellent (in May).

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank chuanha1
Reviewed September 16, 2008

Great hotel, huge apartments, quite place not far from underground stations, very good breakfast and really fantastic and very helpful staff.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 16, 2007

I have just returned from 4 nights in the Heinrich Heine hotel in Berlin. What a great place, and I don't just mean Berlin itself. Well-located, the hotel is only 2 Underground stops from Alexanderplatz, from where you can get just about anywhere in the city on its excellent transport system. As a single traveller I am used to being put into rooms little bigger than a cupboard, but I was in what was more like a decent-sized apartment. There was an electric hob, microwave, dishwasher, fridge, mini bar, as well as an ample supply of tea, coffee etc. The bathroom was large and the sleeping area was bigger than many living rooms I have been in. The room was kept very clean as is the hotel itself. Reception staff were very welcoming (all spoke excellent English) and were very helpful. I will certainly stay there again and I cannot recommend this hotel highly enough.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled solo
3  Thank m_copeman500
Reviewed August 29, 2007

The enthusiastic reviews here are correct - this is amazing value for money. A big, big room with cooking facilities - more like a bedsit apartment than a hotel room. The location is inner-suburban, as other reviewers note. You are not in a tourist hot-spot but you have plenty of options to get to the hot-spots using public transport.

If you want to avoid having to eat out all the time, you can buy stuff from the supermarket next to the hotel and cook it up (and you get a dishwasher to do the washing up!). Also you want to avoid the overpriced hotel breakfast and eat at the cafe in the shopping mall outside, or find the nice cafe near a small lake (reservoir really) at the top of the street. Here you can get a full continental breakfast and a couple of coffees for under 10 euros.

It's worth noting that the downside of being in a residential area is that the streets are very quiet at night. And some of the streets are a bit dark. Since this area was in the Eastern sector, before the wall came down, some of the housing blocks look scruffy and there are some poor people wandering about. However I always felt safe.

I recommend not trying to find the hotel at night unless you're absolutely sure where you are going. It is actually at the back of a little pedestrian mall and is easy to miss.

The other reviews here are all accurate and I won't repeat any more of what they say.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled solo
3  Thank zardoz1
Reviewed April 10, 2007

My partner and I stayed here for four nights in September 2006. I was a little skeptical about the value since I booked the hotel for a special price on Expedia (I think it was less than 80 euros a night
at the time). But I figured it was OK since it was affiliated with the NH chain, which is pretty well known throughout Europe (especially in Spain).

We arrived pretty early from JFK on an overnight flight and got to the hotel at around 10 AM. Reception was very friendly and advised us that our room would be ready in 15-20 minutes. So, we left our bags with them and got some breakfast at the friendly bakery just outside the door. We loved the bakery so much we went there every morning for breakfast during our stay (and is much cheaper than the hotel breakfast).

I could not believe my eyes when I saw the room. Spotless, tons of closet space and a kitchenette to boot. The bed was a standard European double (slightly narrower than a US full) and the mattress was a little firm, but not a huge problem to complain about. The bathroom was IMMACULATE and huge! It had a nice size tub (first one I've seen in Europe that actually fit me - and I'm only 5'10"). Having stayed in hostels and mostly 2-3 star hotels, this felt like staying in a higher-end 4*.

There's a supermarket almost directly across the street from the hotel where we bought a case of 11 beers for about 75 cents each! And having a fridge in the room comes in handy to keep them cool. There's also a bank around the corner if you needed to withdraw euros via ATM.

The only drawback I would think of is that the neighborhood surrounding the Heinrich Heine is pretty quiet at night (though you always felt safe) and is a 10 minute U-Bahn ride to the center of Berlin. The U-Bahn is very convenient though and very safe. If you're
okay with that and a five-minute walk to the U-Bahn station, I would HIGHLY recommend this hotel for its value and cleanliness.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple