“Stolen handbag”

art'otel berlin kudamm
Ranked #196 of 634 Hotels in Berlin
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed October 28, 2013

My handbag was stolen when eating breakfast the last morning on the hotel. Even though I was very careful it was gone after getting coffee. We were two sitting together and the table had been left by both of us for maximum ten seconds. Other persons from my group were sitting near by, they had not seen anybody outside the hotel entering the breaakfast-room.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Ellen H
khagenbucher, Manager at art'otel berlin kudamm, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2013

Dear Ellen H,

we appreciate you taking the time to give us some valuable feedback on Tripadvisor.

On behalf of our entire staff here at the art’otel berlin city center west I apologize for the concerns you have about your experience at this hotel.
II sincerely regret that your handbag was stolen while you had breakfast at our restaurant. However I would like to emphasize that this is a public area and no bags/luggage should be unattended at any time.
We appreciate the feedback and will use it to fine tune our operations in the hope that upon your next visit, we can meet or exceed your expectations.

Email: khagenbucher@pphe.com

Reviewed October 8, 2013

I have never experienced such a horrible stay in my years traveling internationally. Aside from the room being dirty (moldy carpet, dingy shower, cheap amenities) my MacBook computer was stolen from my locked hotel room in the middle of the day. After filing a police report, and talking to the hotel manager, I learned that these thefts (done by neighborhood gangs that easily enter the low-security hotel) are not uncommon. Granted, they said, previously the thefts have involved cash and not computers. The hotel has even changed the direction of the hotel doorknobs to "prevent" these thefts, which obviously doesn't work. Yet, they still allow anyone elevator access without any kind of identification, allowing anyone off the street to access the rooms. The location of this hotel is a little bit off the beaten path, but not in an obviously sketchy area. Still, the streets are loud with drunks at night. As a 26-year-old, I didn't think the hotel's atmosphere would be a problem, however, the security situation is completely unacceptable. Because I booked this hotel through Jetsetter.com I was able to get a refund on the room, but I have yet to receive any compensation for my computer, and I have lost the hundreds of photos, documents and everything else on it, forever. I would never recommend this hotel to anyone. And I suggest the hotel figure out a way to make their guests more secure.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank jill b
khagenbucher, Manager at art'otel berlin kudamm, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2013

Dear Jill B,

Thanks for your feeback regarding your recent stay with us.
From our several emails already you are aware that we have carried out extensive investigations together with the police which included interrogation of all concerned employees, search of their bags and lockers and of course a lock read which didn’t show any unusual activity.
We have information in all rooms that all valuables need to be stored in the room safe at all times.
A hotel is a public place and we do have CCTV on the ground floors plus a security company who is strolling the property on a regular basis.
I am very sorry for any inconvenience caused to you and I am pleased that your accomodation charges have been taken care of by now.
Also I am aware that the insurance company has been in touch with you already regarding your Macbook.
I do disagree though that your room has been dirty during your stay. We clean our carpets professionally on a regular basis as well as painting the bedrooms and we also checked that room prior and after your stay with us.
Should you wish to discuss this any further, please contact me directly.

Reviewed October 8, 2013

Recently we stayed at the artotel. Rooms are modern, clean and well presented.

Helga, on reception was a little star. Always bright, cheerful and helpful.

Yannick in the Factory, the hotel bar was awesome adding french flair and even more french humour :)

The location of the hotel is great and thanks to such great staff everything works like clockwork.

I highly recommend this hotel if you are staying in Berlin.

• Stayed: September 2013

Dear Heliosdieu,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at the hotel. I am delighted that you have enjoyed your recent stay with us.

Rest assured I will share your positive comments especially with Helga & Yannick but also with the rest of the team, I am sure they will be thrilled to hear the fantastic feedback.

I am looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Best wishes,

Reviewed September 30, 2013

Two friends and I have just returned from Berlin and stayed in this hotel . My camera was stolen from my suitcase in my room whilst we were out sightseeing . We discovered the following day that one of my friends , who was staying in a separate room , had had £100 taken from his suitcase too . We had both handed ours keys into reception and can sadly only conclude that the culprit is a member of staff .

We were particularly disappointed that no-one from management spoke to us about the thefts and they weren't remarked upon as we checked out . I regularly stay in hotels and have never had anything stolen from me - very disappointed !!

Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
6  Thank Richard A
khagenbucher, Manager at art'otel berlin kudamm, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2013

Dear Richard A,

Thanks for your feeback, as you know I have forwarded your police report already along with your contact details to our insurance company.
If you check the Berlin press you will find that unfortunately many hotels in Berlin have been effected by professional gangs recently who can open the door from the outside without destroying it.
We have information in all rooms that all valuables need to be stored in the room safe.
We have carried out extensive investigations together with the police which included interrogation of all concerned employees, search of their bags and lockers and of course a lock read which didn’t show any unusual activity.
I am very sorry for any inconvenience caused to you.
Please contact me directly should you wish to discuss this matter further.

Reviewed September 16, 2013

This hotel was OK but the bedroom was small with the bed against the wall, making it a bit difficult for one of us to get in and out. The bathroom was big and nice though. The location was good for the traveller, as easy to get around from the Zoo metro station which was a short walk away. Also quite a few nice restaurants in the area

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
khagenbucher, Manager at art'otel berlin kudamm, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2013

Dear Pip W,

Thank you very much for your kind comments regarding our location.
For your next stay you may wish to reserve an art room xl instead of the standard art room that you had booked, which is a more spacious room for just a small supplement charge. Please contact us directly for this.
Once again, thank you for your comments and we look forward to hosting you again in the future.

Reviewed September 14, 2013

Stayed in the hotel because of business in Berlin - it is only 10 min taxi drive from the exhibition centre. The hotel has a good location near Kurfurstendamm with many good restaurants nearby. The room (514) was disapointing - small and internet was not working - the aircondition was also not working, and complaining in the reception made no difference, staff is polite though.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
khagenbucher, Manager at art'otel berlin kudamm, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2013

Dear Bent H,

I have forwarded your comment about our air-conditions to our head of engineering and he is currently looking into this problem to provide our guests with a more feasible solution.
In regards to the room: I am very sorry if you felt the room was too small. Please contact us next time prior to your stay so we can allocate you a bigger one or an art room xl for a small additional fee.

Email: khagenbucher@pphe.com

Reviewed September 11, 2013

Excellent location...excellent staff...comfortable modern rooms even the windows open for fresh air! It's a 5-star bargain! It's fun...Andy Warhol's iconic art is everywhere - if you don't like pop art stay at another hotel. LOCATION: 10 minute walk to the Zoo and the major transit access Zoo stop plus a stop on direct train to Schoenfeld airport...a friend said if you come in from Tegel airport there is a direct bus. I came in from Schoenfeld...I was able to purchase a train ticket at the tourist desk for 3.20 euros and that ticket took me to the Zoo stop in about 30 minutes and the same ticket allowed me to transfer to the 249 bus going toward Rosenec - in 3 stops (clearly marked) I was 1 minute walk to the hotel. It was easy. LOCATION: West Berlin with easy access to the U-Bahn and even easier to the bus lines 109, 100 and 200 - perfect for to and from all the major tourist destinations. The area has great shopping and relaxed restaurants. HOTEL: Free easy-access Wi-Fi; breakfast buffet with lots of healthy choices plus standard scrambled eggs and pastries. HOTEL: my room on the 6th floor was quite, including a walk-in rain shower and sink area with lots of counter space, good lighting and large magnifying mirror - great for contact lens wearers. STAFF: Wear stylish casual uniforms that add to the hotel style. STAFF: Friendly and so helpful with directions and neighborhood restaurant suggestions. Bottom Line: It was my first stay...but it won't be my last.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Nannort
khagenbucher, Manager at art'otel berlin kudamm, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2013

Wow, thanks Nannort for this amazing and extensive review, what a delight to read.

I have shared your comments with my team and we are very pleased to have provided a great experience for you on your Berlin trip.

We hope to see you again in the near future.