“I'm coming back :)”

SORAT Hotel Ambassador Berlin
Ranked #188 of 635 Hotels in Berlin
Reviewed June 6, 2014

After few consideration I decided to book here again, although there are few other offers including their neighboring new hotels and I know SORAT Ambassador did not let me down.

The buffet breakfast remains my determining factor, and yes SORAT Ambassador this is your Ace of Spade. The happy hour during 3 days at ITB Berlin was also a good gesture !

The staffs are also very helpful and willing to go extra mile, when I was in need to use the computer at the lobby to print a document and willing to pay the rental fee, she offered to print it for free for me and just asked me to send the copy of the email to hotel's address. Wow, it's just a small money for me and I did not mind to pay for the rental but it was really impressive :)

Another friend who chose to stay next door, complaint about the breakfast and told me he wants to go back to SORAT Ambassador again next year, so I really made a right decision.

Kudos to you SORAT Ambassador team ! keep up the good work,

So bis naechste jahr :)

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
ambassadorBerlin, Manager at SORAT Hotel Ambassador Berlin, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2014

Dear Kongco,
what a great summary of your experience with our services. Yes,our sumptous SORAT Breakkfast Buffet as well as our great Team members are our trade mark. We will keep it up.
Thank you so much for your recommendation.
See you next ITB!
KInd Regards,
the Management

Write a ReviewReviews (1,029)

Reviewed June 1, 2014

I enjoyed staying at the Ambassador Hotel in Berlin which was very clean and comfortable. The staff were particularly helpful. The first evening I stayed, there was a nois coming from my radiator which I subsequently spoke about to the receptionist. The matter was dealt with quickly and effectively.

Dear Graham,
thank you for recommending us. It was great to read your comments. We will pass it on!

Reviewed May 31, 2014

Good location near U Bahn and zoo.
Staff were very helpful with advice on travel in Berlin.
Hotel was clean and fairly quiet considering the German cup final was on in Berlin and a lot of supporters were staying there.
Good value.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Norman B
Reviewed May 27, 2014

there were some little things that make a difference in the overall experience of the stay. First, I arrived early and asked to be checked in. At this time they told me it would be a few hours so I asked to leave my one bag there. They agreed but said I had to pay to have it stored. I have never experienced this anywhere but thought maybe it was normal for Berlin. I don't believe it is. Thought by the time I got back, the room thing wold be figured out, but it was not. When my room mate arrived (at check in time) they still made her wait, then tried to give her a room with one bed, even though we had requested (and been confirmed, so we thought) to have a room with two beds. Even though we started requesting the room at 0900, by 1500 we still didn't have the right room.

Next is that the hotel has smoking rooms. Even though we requested a non-smoking room, there was still a smoky smell in the hallway and my towel smelled like smoke. Not fun.

Next, as you will see in other reviews, no a/c and in case you don't know it, no moisturizer or any toiletries. They have a bottle of something attached to wall. The bottle contains something that is supposed to be good for shampoo and shampoo. At a minimum, bring your own conditioner if you use it at home. I found this to be common during my visit

The location is great, as described by other reviewers.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends

Dear Guest,
thank you for your rating. We are very sorry to hear that your room wasn't ready at Check In time of 15.00 hours. We did pass your comments on to our Housekeeper for further investigatation.
But we would like to emphasize that this is not up to our Standard. As reference to other guests we would like to inform that we keep different toiletries available upon request at the reception.

Reviewed May 26, 2014

DIN recommended staying your hotel. It was nice to stay: everything was more than average. Thank you! I dare say that door lock of the room was a bit troublesome to open. The aspargus I enjoyed at the hotel restaurant was excellent.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
ambassadorBerlin, Manager at SORAT Hotel Ambassador Berlin, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2014

Dear Ichiro,
THANK YOU so much for recommending us! It is great to hear that you enjoyed your stay.

Reviewed May 25, 2014

I traveled to Berlin with a group of 14 university students, and we spent 6 nights at the SORAT Ambassador. The best thing about this hotel is its location. It's close to Wittenbergplatz and the U-Bahn station provides easy access to just about anywhere you'd want to go in Berlin. It's a very short walk to a supermarket, lots of restaurants (including a doner stand and a currywurst stand), and KaDeWe. It's also a short walk to the Zoo.

The breakfast is very good with lots of variety--breads, cheeses, meats, smoked fish, scrambled/boiled eggs, bacon, 3 types of sausages, pastries, fruit, and champagne. The only issue we had at breakfast was one morning when one of the attendants forced each of the members of our group to sign a bill for breakfast, but we were not charged.

Why the average rating? The hotel had what I consider two serious shortcomings. The first was the lack of air conditioning. While Berlin might not be known for its hot climate, we had 3 days when the temperature in Berlin exceeded 27C (80F), and it reached 30C one of those days. This was in May, so I can imagine how hot it can get in the summer. Even though I kept the curtains shut during the day and the window open at night, my room (417) was uncomfortably hot at night, but it was still cooler than the hallways. Even a fan would have helped, but none were available. I know that Berlin might just have a couple of dozen days a year when A/C is needed, but that's still no excuse for a hotel like this one not to have it. By that logic, hotels in Florida should not have heat.

My other complaint was with the wifi. Although the issues that other reviewers have mentioned have been addressed, I still had a few times in the evening when the wifi was very slow (as in 100 kbps, according to a speed test). Also, the hotel limits guests to one device per room and required codes to be purchased for additional devices.

The employees were, for the most part accommodating and helpful.

Room Tip: Odd numbered rooms face a busy street, so even numbered rooms might be quieter.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business

Dear Guest, thank you for your detailed description of your Berlin experience with us.
We are happy to hear that you loved our downtown location. As for the other remarks we would like to comment: a fan is provided to your room upon request. And yes, we do offer free Wifi - for one device. Unlimited access codes are available for an extra EUR 10,00 / 24 hours per device. Kind Regards, the Management

Reviewed May 19, 2014

If location is the prime asset for a hotel, then this one should get 100%!

The hotel is located in a quiet side-street connecting the Wittenbergplatz to the Kurfürstenstrasse.

The subway station in the Wittenbergplatz (hub for the U1, U2 and U3 trains) is a mere 130 meters from the hotel doors; due south. The bus stop for the number 100 double decker bus {Tiergarten, Siegessäule (Victory Column) on the “Großer Stern” (Greater Star), Schloss Bellevue, Haus der Kulturen der Welt, Reichstag, Brandenburg Gate, Unter den Linden, Museum Island, Berliner Dom (Berlin Cathedral), Television Tower on the Alexanderplatz - and in the opposite direction, the Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church, Kurfürstendamm and the Zoologischer Garten (Zoological Garden)} is a 100 meters to the north of the hotel. The number 200 bus stop {Berlin Philharmonic, Potsdammer-Platz (Sony Center), Unter den Linden, State Opera, Alexanderplatz and more...}, is about 300 meters away on the Budapester Strasse.

The entrance to the KaDeWe shopping center is just off the Wittenbergplatz on the Augsburgerstrasse. There is a small market on the Wittenbergplatz most weekdays.
The staff in the hotel is friendly and eager to help and assists (some are more knowledgeable than others – so use your discretion).

Rooms aged but spotlessly clean.

Breakfast: If you have ordered your room without breakfast - don’t bother with their breakfast buffet. The price is exorbitant € 12.50 per person. Just across the road, and a little to the left, there is a lovely little bakery with great coffee. We went there every morning – no complaints! We spent an average of €3-€4 for breakfast per person.

Now the gripes:
WiFi passable during the week – when there was low occupancy. WiFi near impossible at weekends – during high occupancy.
Bathrooms are clean but aged and the plumbing leaves much to be desired.
Walls must be made of paper – pray not to have noisy neighbours!
There are only 2 elevators serving a 7 story building with over 40 rooms per floor.

Tips:

Room Tip: Ask for the higher floors. Ask for rooms a fair distance away from the elevators. Even room numbe...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Shalom M
ambassadorBerlin, Manager at SORAT Hotel Ambassador Berlin, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2014

Dear Shalom M.,
thank you for the 100% for our location and the good mark for cleanliness. Yes, we are right downtown, but it is still a quiet and friendly neighborhood. Our large SORAT-Breakfast offers sparkling wine, salmon, different sausages, cereals and alone 9 different warm meals. We also upgraded our Wifi and all issues from the past have been solved. Once again thank you for your recommendation.