“Pleasant Location”

Hotel Riehmers Hofgarten
Ranked #329 of 634 Hotels in Berlin
Reviewed May 3, 2012

The neighborhood offers a good blend of non-touristy quality and easy access to transportation. There's a nice casual feel to this district which benefits from the beautiful church and elegant courtyard architecture nearby. There's a wide range of restaurants within walking distance and Victoria Park about six blocks away has a beautiful stream/waterfall and park up the hill which offers a nice panorama to get your bearings. The amenities here were important to me. These were the in-room WiFi, I-Phone port so you can listen to your own music, coffee/tea kettle and an elevator if you are too tired to take the attractive stairway. The only annoyance was that since my room was on the street side it was noisy with the windows open. At night with no AC, it becomes pretty stuffy with them closed. The breakfast was good in the attached restaurant. The price for dinner there was was high but it looked like it was well patronized by locals. This place offers a pleasant alternative to the high-end hostel/guesthouse or the mega-hotel scenes.

Room Tip: Comfort rooms off the street would be quieter at night with windows open.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank godago

Reviewed November 6, 2011

Back in the 80's I was stationed at Tempelhof Airport, just a few blocks from the Riehmers Hofgarten. I used to walk by and gaze wistfully in the windows, telling myself that one day I would come back to Berlin as a civilian and stay at the hotel. Well, I finally did, in 2005, when I came to the now reunified Berlin on my honeymoon. My wife and I had a wonderful stay in one of the regular guest rooms and hoped that we'd eventually be back. Well, five years later we returned, this time with a young daughter. During this trip we decided to stay in the Hotel's apartment, which I highly recommend for families. It was spacious, and had a gorgeous view through the enormous windows overlooking the courtyard. But really the best thing about the Hotel Riehmers Hofgarten is the fabulous breakfast served every morning in the restaurant. The Brötchen are simply to die for (see my photos). We can't wait to come back again!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank suburban_light
Reviewed June 12, 2011

Andreas at the desk was an terrific resource, spoke English well and was very thoughtful. The rooms are light-filled with high-ceilings, modern furniture and extremely comfortable futon-style mattresses and pillows. The double-paned windows and dark curtains kept things quiet when I needed to sleep. The iPod stereo was a plus, as was FREE in-room Wi-Fi. Breakfast was delicious and plentiful. The location is EXCELLENT, just a short 2-block walk to the Mehringhamm U-Bahn (subway) station. Kreuzberg is a super-cool, multi-ethnic neighborhood with tons of restaurants & shops within a few blocks of the hotel...but the hotel is removed enough to be elegant and quiet too. I would definitely stay here again!

Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank SBlink
Reviewed April 13, 2010

A friend and I stayed at the Hotel Riehmers Hofgarten recently. We arrived tired and a little grumpy, and were greeted by a friendly smile from the receptionist.

As we walked in the door she said "oh, you must be the girls who phoned. Your room is ready for you" which immediately made us feel welcome.

She also loaned us the hotel's laptop so we could access wi-fi in our room. This was a godsend.

The room was clean, simple and comfortable. Complimentary apples and a knife, which was a nice touch.

The next morning was Easter Sunday, and were were delighted to find a chocolate bunny sitting outside our door.

Breakfast buffet was delicious - boiled eggs, smoked salmon, cold meats, museli, yoghurt, pastries and much more. Receptionist and breakfast waitress again very smiley and kind.

We had to leave straight after breakfast (this was only a short stay) and the receptionist happily phoned us a taxi.

I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 12, 2007

Very comfortable hotel, located in a strategic position.
The rooms are clean, big and even ours, which was located on the street side, was not noisy at all.
Excellent staff, very friendly and cooperative.
Good balance between price and quality.
...last but not least ....the restaurant of the Hotel has an excellent food...try it !!

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank FRANZISKA7
Reviewed May 30, 2007

I can see how one could have a high quality stay here, but our stay was far from exceptional.

As per the other reviews, the positives are:
- clean, comfortable rooms with double windows you can open
- friendly, helpful staff
- good quality restaurant in the building
- in a fun, seemingly safe area

The negatives are:
- no a/c (a problem if streetside)
- on a very busy street (requiring choice between hot or noisy room)

Also, the weekend we stayed had a local festival in the street on one evening, which we didn't know about and the hotel didn't let us know at all - we arrived back from a long day's cycling and walking to find a street party (loads of drunk folk, broken bottles and thunderous dance music) which wouldn't have been a problem if it wasn't such a surprise and we could have planned for it!

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
3  Thank daintree
Reviewed July 12, 2006

My daughter and I spent 5 nights here at the end of June, and had a wonderful time. The manager of the hotel, Herr Andreas Krause, was so welcoming and helpful with directions, suggestions, fixing my daughter's cell phone, etc, etc. The hotel has recently renovated an apartment which we moved into our 2nd night(180 euros) which was fabulous-- felt like we had a really cool apartment in Berlin! The rooms are huge, quiet and sunny.It is in a beautiful old restored courtyard and was well worth the extra expense. We had started off in a room facing the street which was lovely, except with the windows open, it was noisier than I would like. (The courtyard rooms were booked for World Cup.) The street-facing rooms are fine if you have earplugs or keep the windows closed, but the courtyard rooms are my first choice.
We had dinner several times at e.t.a. hoffmann, the restaurant in the hotel. The food was delicious and interesting, and the ambience was delightful-- very relaxing and the three young servers are all so nice. It started to feel very homey!
The neighborhood in Kreuzberg is great; not touristy. We loved the area and felt very safe and comfortable. It is a short walk from the hotel to the Mehringdamm u-bahn stop which will take you anywhere. There is a nice park, Victoriapark, nearby and good restaurants within walking distance.
The things we liked most were the friendliness and kindness of the people working there, and the fact that the hotel seemed to have Europeans, including Germans, staying there. We didn't hear a lot of English spoken, except for me! The staff speaks English and everyone was nice about it. I highly recommend the Riehmers Hofgarten if you would like a friendly, non-touristy place where you will feel at home.

• Stayed: June 2006