“Great hotel and spa, so-so service”
Review of Grand Hyatt Berlin

Grand Hyatt Berlin
Ranked #19 of 634 Hotels in Berlin
London, United Kingdom
“Great hotel and spa, so-so service”
Reviewed October 1, 2013

The location and the quality of the hotel are definitely worth the 5*-rating. However, the quality of the service is somewhat of a let-down.

First the negatives:
I arrived at the hotel at 1.30 pm on a Saturday afternoon and I was greeted by 4 friendly receptionists at the same time. I was referred to a colleague twice and finally I was told that the room would be ready at 2.30 pm, which was fine since the official check-in time is at 3 pm. I asked the staff to inform once the room was ready. At 3.30 pm I went to ask on status and again I was referred twice to a colleague to find out the room was just made ready, which was a bit dubious.

Finally I got a room for a well waited rest, only for a cleaner to come in within 30 minutes unannounced to finish the cleaning. Also I was greeted as Ms. (which I am not and getting titles wrong is a big no-no in Germany).

And then to the positives:
The rooms themselves were well appointed and equipped, eventhough the rooms are starting to show their age with a number of chips on the wood, dust on lamps due to unfinished cleaning etc.

The spa and pool area were suberb with excellent staff, which was one of the main reasons together with the location our party decided to stay at the hotel in the first place.

Conclusion:
Great hotel and location, quality of the service and attention to detail were average at best, but the spa was excellent. If you want to stay around Potsdamer Platz at a 5*-hotel, there are better options available at similar price. However, the spa is definitely one of the best in Berlin.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Charly_Meadows
GHBerlin, Manager at Grand Hyatt Berlin, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Dear TripAdvisor User,

Thank you for sharing your experience of Grand Hyatt Berlin.
I am sorry to read that your expectations regarding our service could not be met, and please rest assured that I take your comments seriously. I will ensure better communication for a hassle-free check-in experience in the future.

Regarding your feedback on our rooms, I can happily inform you that we have just started to redesign our hotel. In fact, three floors have been refurnished already.

Since you enjoyed our spa a lot, I hope you have the opportunity to try one of our signature treatments at Club Olympus Fitness the next time you visit Berlin.

I hope we get the chance to show you that we are open to constructive feedback and able to learn from it. It would be a pleasure to have you back as a guest in our newly designed rooms at Grand Hyatt Berlin.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (257)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed October 1, 2013

I use to be a lot in berlin the last 6 months!
I always stay in this holtel!
Just one word.... perfect
super staff and service.
nice location
great room well decorated
Just come and enjoy it.... for business or pleasure

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
GHBerlin, Manager at Grand Hyatt Berlin, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Dear TripAdvisor User,

Thank you so much for your very positive feedback.

I was pleased to read your kind words about our hotel. Your recommendation is the best compliment to us.

Staying with us so frequently, I hope you already had a chance to try Vox bar, with its large selection of whiskeys. Our barkeeper, Mirko May, will be happy to guide you through the 240 types we have on offer.
I am very glad that you are a returning guest at Grand Hyatt Berlin and look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed October 1, 2013

This is a stylish hotel in the centre of everything and right beside a Christmas market which we loved after a long day sightseeing we could relax with mulled wine and enjoy the stalls. The hotel is within walking distance to most of the sights including the Brandenburg Gate and beside a lovely shopping centre.
Our room was very big with great bed and complete with block out all light blinds for a fabulous nights sleep, the staff are very friendly Alexia checked us in and asked us how we were enjoying our trip whenever we saw her! The bathroom had a wet room with bath and tropical shower with Aveda products or something very similar.

We went on a room only basis but there is a Starbucks across the way for coffee and muffins, the breakfast at the hotel did look delicious though!

We were particularly impressed with the quietness and relaxing nature of the hotel, we shall be back I hope this Christmas!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 0Ave2013
Dear TripAdvisor User,

Thank you for sharing your experience with Grand Hyatt Berlin so comprehensively.

I am happy to read that you enjoyed your stay in our modern hotel. Positive feedback is the best motivation for my associates.

For your next stay, I would like to recommend our Bed and Breakfast offer, so you can try our buffet yourself, without having to go out into the cold to get breakfast.

I hope to welcome you back again to our hotel this Christmas. I assure you, the mulled wine will be just as tasty as last year.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed September 28, 2013

This is a beautiful hotel. The rooms are an absolute delight - stylish but incredibly relaxing. The location is great too. Close to Potzdammer Platz and the S and U BahnCard stations. Really close to the Kultuurforum and the Philharmonie. Within walking distance of the Brandenburg Gate and Under der Linden. There's also lots of choice of dining, both within the hotel and nearby, and it's close to shopping arcades too. My only complaint ... €3.00 per hour for wifi - seriously what are they thinking? Despite that, I'd recommend Grand Hyatt Berlin very highly.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
GHBerlin, Manager at Grand Hyatt Berlin, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Dear TripAdvisor User,

Thank you very much for having taken the time to give us your feedback on our hotel.

It was pleasure to hear that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel. I am happy that your expectations could be met and that you shared your kind words of appreciation with us, I will pass it on to our team since this is the best motivation for our daily work.

In regards to your remarks concerning the WiFi, may recommend our Hyatt Business Plan package, including free WiFi, breakfast, the washing or ironing of one piece of clothing per room per day, a daily bottle of mineral water and a daily newspaper for your next stay with us.

We look forward to welcome you back as a guest in our hotel on your next trip to Berlin!

Best regards,

Hotelmanager
Stateline, Nevada
Reviewed September 25, 2013

We began our month in Europe with 3 nights here. It was a perfect place to stay after 25 hours of travel. All of the staff speak English and could not have been nicer. The rooms are large and have wonderful rain showers. There are many restaurants nearby, including a Starbucks across the street.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tahotrvlr
Dear TripAdvisor User,

Thank you very much for having taken the time to share the experience of Grand Hyatt Berlin during your three nights stay.

I have read your kind words of appreciation and I would like to thank you for sharing them. Your appraisal is what motivates our team most to provide excellent service every day.

We look forward to welcoming you to Grand Hyatt Berlin again!

Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed September 23, 2013

Everything about was hotel was excellent. Beautiful room, great service, and incredible food. I particularly enjoyed the location (near a recording studio we were at). I honestly can't fault anything about the 4 night stay.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Dear TripAdvisor User,

Many thanks for sharing the experience you had of Grand Hyatt Berlin.

I have read your kind words of appreciation and I would like to thank you for sharing them. Your appraisal specially on the “great service and the increadable food” is what motivates our team most to provide excellent service every day.

We are looking forward to welcome you back!

Tallinn, Estonia
Reviewed September 22, 2013

Hotel staff is just perfect. I like it when you barely see anybody but all your needs are constantly met even without asking. Nice clean, spacious and silent at night.

Conference centre was also up to expectations.
Food and catering perfect.

Overall, nice hotel for business and pleasure.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank TomRaist
Dear TripAdvisor User,

First of all I would like to thank you for having taken the time to share your experience about your last residence.
With great pleasure I read your comments and I am pleased to inform my colleagues as well. Your kind words of appreciation are the best motivation and recognition for our team to continuously provide outstanding service and personal attention to our guests.

We hope having the pleasure welcoming you back to Grand Hyatt Berlin and remain with

kind regards,