“Stylish and sleek but lacks genuine hospitality and professionalism”
Review of Grand Hyatt Berlin

Grand Hyatt Berlin
Ranked #19 of 633 Hotels in Berlin
Reviewed August 15, 2013

I stayed at the Grand Hyatt Berlin for two nights in August 2013 with my wife and five month old daughter. I chose to stay at this property based on the emphatic recommendation of a very close friend who travels to Berlin at least twice per year, sometimes much more, and would never consider another hotel in Berlin. After my stay, I must confess I absolutely do not share his enthusiasm. LOCATION -- The hotel is located in the Potsdamerplatz, in the heart of Berlin. However, for those who have not been to Berlin or are not familiar with the area, it is not very easy to find after arriving at the Potsdamerplatz U-bahn station. You have to walk a fair distance down one of the many roads/alleys intersecting at Potsdamerplatz to find it. Also, while the Potsdamerplatz is arguably the center of the city, Berlin is a vast sprawling place and the sights, attractions, parks, restaurants and nightlife are by no means centralized, so depending on what you are looking for, there may very well be much better located hotels in Berlin. FIRST IMPRESSION -- The hotel is styled in a very chic, modern, sleek manner, but we found the lobby and the lobby staff to be lacking a genuine attitude, and while everyone cracks a smile, it seems less than sincere. HOTEL FUNCTION -- Following check-in, our experience at the Grand Hyatt only got worse. We were consistently interrupted in our room by housekeeping staff which would knock once, and announce "Houskeeping.." as he/she opened the door to our room. This happened on at least three separate occasions during our two night stay. On the second night of our stay, the hotel was hosting a function/concert in its mezzanine floor. We were later told that the function was to last from 7pm - 9:30pm. We were told that when I was forced to call the reception three separate times between the hours of 1AM and 3AM to insist that they do something about the level of noise which could be CLEARLY heard in our room, and was loud enough to keep myself, my wife and my infant daughter awake until 3AM. What started as apologetic responses from the reception, eventually morphed into a semi-indignant suggestion that if I was that bothered, I should agree to switch rooms. Bear in mind the nightmare of moving myself, my wife, my infant daughter, all our belongings, and our suitcases to another room at 2AM... The next morning, when I called to the reception again, encountering a new set of hotel staff after the night shifters had gone home, I was lucky enough to find one woman which seemed to exhibit some compassion and genuine care. I am sad to say I did not get her name, or I would commend her by name. She was genuinely apologetic and explained that the function had run over its time, and that they did not believe the noise was able to be heard on other floors. She was also kind enough to provide us with a very late checkout as we needed some extra time to get moving that day after the long night.

On another point, upon checkout, which was graciously granted late (up to 5pm) by the aforementioned gracious female hotel employee, I mistakenly left behind a shopping bag in the room, which contained a pair of shoes (in the box) and two souvenirs purchased in Berlin. I will be the first to admit the hotel is not responsible for guests leaving items behind, however I am highlighting this because I am 100% positively sure that the bag was left behind in the room as I remember looking at it, mentally reminding myself to take it, and then realizing I had forgotten it only when I was boarding my train at Berlin HBF, bound for Munich. I called the hotel that very evening to enquire as to whether housekeeping had found the bag in my room and was informed that the housekeeping would verify whether the item was found and I would get a call or email. The next morning, i.e. by 11am, I had not heard anything and called again to the hotel, and was told housekeeping had not answered as to whether the bag was found. Eventually, after three additional calls, I was informed that the bag was not recovered from the room. End of story. I was astonished, but without any recourse, have had to write off the Euro 160 shoes and the Euro 40 worth of souvenirs. I am still trying to figure out in my head how this could have happened. One, the housekeeping found the bag and, realizing the value of the unworn shoes, took the bag. Two, not realizing the bag contained items of any worth, threw the bag away (which I find hard to believe given the shoes were in the box, unworn, and the receipt was still in the bag). Or three, the bag was brought to the lost and found at the hotel, and taken from there by another hotel employee. Regardless of what happened, the result remains that an item which was left in my room disappeared in the matter of three hours when I checked out and when I called the hotel that evening.

On a last point, be aware that this hotel charges Euro 18 for daily wifi access in the room. Well travelled people are well aware of the trend of 5 star properties offering guests free wifi, after all the cost to the hotel of providing such service is minimal, and is certainly covered in the "5 star" room rate. I am always particularly disturbed by hotels which continue to engage in the practice of fleecing its customers for what is essentially now a basic service.

I would not imagine that given the above, I need to spell out my recommendation, but for clarity's sake, look elsewhere for your stay in Berlin.

Room Tip: Don't take a room on a lower floor, where you can hear the goings on at the mezzanine floor func...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank cbellman1830
GHBerlin, Manager at Grand Hyatt Berlin, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2013

Dear TripAdvisor User,

Thank you very much for having taken so much of your valuable time to post your comments about your recent stay at Grand Hyatt Berlin.

I have carefully read all your comments and I am sorry to read that you did not enjoy a pleasant stay and that you left our hotel dissatisfied. Providing outstanding service is what we strive for, but it can be challenging. As mentioned in your review, we have failed on many occasions to give our very best and I am truly sorry for that.

I was astonished to read about the housekeeping incident and I want to apologise to you. Usually, these incidents can be avoided due to our lost and found policy. I regret your personal belongings could not be found in this case.

We take the feedback of our guests very seriously – not only through TripAdvisor, but from every single guest comment. Since we constantly work on our service quality, all our directors and managers in charge of he different departments work daily to contact each guest and improve their guest experience. Indeed, you may have encountered our director of rooms already.

Once again, I want to thank you for such extensive feedback about our hotel.

I hope that you will have the opportunity to welcome you back to Grand Hyatt Berlin, so that we can prove to you that our hotel is able to live up to your expectations.

Reviewed August 14, 2013

This place is amazing! The area is fabulous. It is right in the middle of everything you want or need - dining, shopping, theater, movies, ATM machine, across from the don't-miss-it Sony Center, a few minutes from Potdamer Platz (travel connection hub), a few minutes to the Brandenburg Gate etc. etc.. Even so, it opens up to a quieter and charming tree-lined street flowing over with outdoor tables for several authentic German, and assorted other types of, restaurants. We thought about staying at the Ritz-Carlton, since it looked nice online, but we were glad we chose the Hyatt because, although the Ritz is traditionally, ornately exquisite, the main lobby opened up onto streets that were fairly busy with traffic. The Hyatt is also just across this charming street from the Arkade, or mall. Three floors of shop til you drop stores, including two super markets (yes, inside the mall) where you can stock up on German chocolate and everything else you want at extremely affordable prices. BE SURE to treat yourself to the lowest level floored Heisser Wolf, a German eatery as authentic as Berlin itself. They only speak German there, but you can point, and it is worth it for for the only two euro each wursts etc. on rolls (a huge serving of fries will cost
another euro or so). The hotel experience was incredible too. Fantastically friendly, but always respectful staff who adhered to the motto, "The customer is always right". The rooms were extremely comfortable in every way, service was was quick and complete. The VOX restaurant offers buffet breakfasts (be sure to include it when you book the room) that are top-notch. - An excellent way for the family to start a day. We ordered off menu, such as pancakes with berries and waffles with whipped cream, and they were happy to include it. Top off your evening in the
roof-top spa, a great way to relax after a day of touring. Special mention to Kevin at the front desk, he welcomed us at check-in like the hotel had been waiting only for us.

Room Tip: Request a high floor for optimum view.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Seas0nedTravelers
GHBerlin, Manager at Grand Hyatt Berlin, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2013

Dear TripAdvisor User,

Firstly, I would like to thank you personally for having taken the time to share your extensive feedback about our hotel. We highly appreciate it!

I have read your kind words of appreciation and you can be sure that our staff will get to hear them as well. Every day we work on providing outstanding service and comfort in a luxurious environment and I was happy to read that we could meet your expectations.

For your next stay, may I recommend mesa restaurant, where typical German specialities are served to share.

We look forward to welcoming you back as a guest in our hotel on your next trip to Berlin!

Reviewed August 13, 2013

I rated this hotel '4', meaning it meets the basic requirements for a 5-star hotel, and exceeds expectations for the usual 5-star in at least one or two respects.

Plus points: 1) the room was very comfortable and the air-conditioning effective; 2) the large number of restaurants attached to the hotel meant one was somewhat spoiled for choice - food was simply excellent in all of these restaurants; 3) the really neat bathroom and toilet facility with an in-built TV and segregation of various areas, plus a changing area, was very conducive to hygiene; 4) excellent service by wait staff, concierge and reception. The hotel delivered very well and credibly on every aspect.

There was however the lack of a lobby area and a very tiny business centre. These are minor points if your intent is touristic. Also, the hotel was located somewhat off-centre IMHO, and a substantial but manageable walk is required to get to many points of interest.

I did not use the fitness facilities due to the lack of time.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
GHBerlin, Manager at Grand Hyatt Berlin, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2013

Dear TripAdvisor User,

Thank you very much for having taken the time to share your experience of Grand Hyatt Berlin.

I was happy to read that you enjoyed the food in our three restaurants. I also read your comment regarding the size of our business centre with great interest. I am sorry that we could not meet your expectations size-wise, but I still hope that we lived up to your expectations with our friendly, multilingual Business Centre staff.

For your next stay, I may recommend our day spa on the top floor, offering a fitness room with modern equipment by TechnoGym and spectacular views over the city.

We look forward to welcoming you to Grand Hyatt Berlin again in the near future!

Reviewed August 13, 2013

We stayed here on a recent holiday to Berlin. The hotel was clean, conveniently located and the staff were very friendly. It has no soul though. And internet was ridiculously expensive - you can get 30 mins free, pay 3EUR for an hour or 18EUR for 24 hrs!!! The breakfast options were great but the bed and pillows were extremely hard, not what I would expect from a hotel of this calibre. Overall a good experience but charging 18EUR for internet is absurd.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear TripAdvisor User,

Firstly, I want to thank you for having taken the time to share the experience of your stay at Grand Hyatt Berlin. We take your comments very seriously as a basis for improvement.

I was shocked to read your comment implying that our hotel has no soul. Our contemporary design may definitely be of a polarising nature, but our staff, who work daily to provide outstanding service and great attention to guests, are the unique soul of our hotel.

I also read your comment regarding the cost of Wifi with great interest. Hence, I may recommend our Hyatt Business Plan package for your next stay, which includes free WiFi, breakfast, the washing or ironing of one piece of clothing per room per day, a daily bottle of mineral water and a daily newspaper.

We still hope to welcome you back to Grand Hyatt Berlin so that we can show you a little bit more of the hotel’s soul.

Best regards,

Reviewed August 12, 2013

The Grand Hyatt Berlin is hard to fault. Situated in a great location in the vibrant area of Potsdamer Platz with many restaurants nearby, literally down the road from the Brandenburg Gate, other important sites and many transport links at your doorstep.

The hotel itself is amazing, the lobby and common areas are huge and nicely designed with modern art scattered throughout, and a fantastic bar and restaurant downstairs. We had a standard room but it was HUGE and clean with floor to ceiling windows, a large desk, flat screen TV and plenty of storage for luggage. The bathroom also had a great shower and bathtub and plenty of storage space for toiletries.

The pool and spa area is on the top floor which gives great views over the city and is a great respite after a long day of site seeing. There is also a steam room, sauna and plunge pool in the health club with great gym facilities. Breakfast was of a high standard, it was really fresh with many hot and cold offerings.

The service at check-in was impeccable, I can't remember his name but the man who checked us in and out was extremely pleasant and welcoming, nothing was too much trouble.

Overall an excellent stay.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JeffK191

Dear TripAdvisor User,

Thank you very much for your very positive feedback. We highly appreciate it and I would personally like to thank you for having taken the time to share your experience of your stay at Grand Hyatt Berlin.

Our guests’ satisfaction is what motivates our team to keep on providing outstanding service and offering such personal attention to our guests. You can be sure that I will share your appraisal with my colleagues.

I was pleased to read that you liked the design of our hotel. We are especially proud of our contemporary art collection, with more than 150 pieces from 26 international artists.

For your next stay, I may recommend our day spa on the top floor, offering spectacular views over the city.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel soon!

Best regards,

Reviewed August 12, 2013

Great location, perfect service, friendly staff, superbe rooms, delicious breakfast.
You feel home and welcome as soon as you arrive.
We did not want to leave, so well we felt in this place.
Totally and higly recommended.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

my first trip to berlin made memorable by the services of all the staff at grand hyatt berlin. from the reception, to the executive lounge service crew to the doormen. never disappointed me one bit.

reception (young man-his name for some reason escapes my memory) was very friendly and helpful.

executive lounge service crew (meike and natalie), for all the information, history lessons, suggestions & recommedations and not forgetting the breakfast prepared in bed when i suffered a terrible hangover and missed breakfast.

undoubtedly one of the best hotels i have ever stayed in and i will definitely love to come back again. thank you for a wonderful time.

• Stayed: September 2012
GHBerlin, Manager at Grand Hyatt Berlin, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2013

Dear TripAdvisor User,

Firstly, I would like to thank you for your feedback and for the time you took to write down your thoughts about our hotel.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel. Our staff members work daily with great dedication to make every guest’s stay a special one. I am happy that your expectations could be met and that you shared your kind words of appreciation with us, since this motivates our team the most.

We look forward to welcoming you again as a guest at our hotel in the very near future!

Kindest regards from Berlin,