“Good value - bad location”
Review of NH Berlin City Ost

NH Berlin City Ost
Ranked #146 of 635 Hotels in Berlin
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed November 20, 2007

Check-in was very easy and, especially one of the receptionists was very friendly and helpful. When I arrived the television in the room I had booked did not work. Instead of swapping it for another tv I had to move rooms. When I got to the new room, that TV didn't work very well either, there being a loose connection for the volume. I was aiming to catch up on a bit of sleep from previous nights, hence the importance of the TV....
The restaurant looks as though it is not connected to the hotel - I didn't try it, so can't say for sure. This did mean that there was no room service. Instead I turned right out of the hotel and went to the italian restaurant there - that was pretty cheap and tasted fine.
The rooms were pretty small, and the location was not so great as it was a bit of a walk to the metro station. That said, there is an enormous shopping centre by the metro station. If I got a good price I would probably stay there again, as it was comfortable and the service friendly.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank pkbpkb

Reviewed November 7, 2007

We had a fabulous stay in this Hotel in early November 2007. The hotel was immaculately clean; bedding & towels were crisp & spotless and the common areas very well maintained. For such a small hotel, the toileteries provided in the well appointed bathroom were exceptional.

The hotel was about a 30 minute (€40) taxi ride from SFX airport.
There are 2 shopping centres (Ring 1 & 2) a 10 minute stroll away, and there is an underground station adjacent to these.

A taxi into the centre of Berlin costs about €15 and takes 10 mins.

The buffet breakfasts were great; a good choice of breads, cold meats, cheeses and cereals etc, and the 2 or 3 hot dishes were refreshed when necessary.

I have one small reservation about this lovely hotel; 2 of our party of 4 (myself included) found the beds & pillows to be much too soft, so if you like firm and supportive beds or suffer from a bad back, you need to think twice about staying here.

We had one small problem ( a faulty safe in the bedroom) which the receptionist resolved promptly and pleasantly.

All in all, our stay here was fabulous. Berlin is amazing; it reeks of history, and it is well worth taking one of the hop on, hop off bus tours if you do not have much time to investigate the city.

The hotel was brilliant; spotlessly clean, well maintained and inexpensive, we would stay here again - but would definitely ask for firmer pillows.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed March 24, 2007

I went on my own, and used this purely as a place to sleep. The girl on reception was the only one I spoke to, and she spoke good English, and was only to happy to come and explain how to use my room safe.

I stayed for 3 nights, for my first breakfast I filled out the card left on my bed to have it delivered to my room, with coffee. Only it was delivered with tea. Not that I really cared. But I was never left
a card for the next morning, which left me uncertain if I was to expect a knock on the door or not. Breakfast never came. Which I guess is all my fault really for not making sure. Never mind. The room was very quiet, albeit a rather dull view of a car park...but with the itinery that I had there was no time for day dreaming. Location wise it suited my needs, and with the tube station just a 5 minute walk away the whole of Berlin was in easy reach.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank dikky-di-doe
Reviewed March 10, 2007

We have literally come back from a two night stay in Berlin, having seen the Killers at the Treptow arena

The hotel has like other reviewers have pointed out, excellent links to the underground/ train service.

They serve an abundant breakfast buffet.

Rooms are clean with beautifully smelling bath products

The staff were not very helpful! We asked different members of staff information regarding tours of the city and they recommended a hop-on hop off tour. We persevered and asked another member of staff who helpfully told us that we had missed the booking time for a coach tour and recommended us to get to Alexanderplatz. Once we got there, the only option was the hop-on-hop off bus! For those who like ear phones that is the tour for you! People who want a true feel for the city, get to Brandenberg Gate, and look for the red tour. Not only are they free, but you get a real feel for the city, and your guide will give you an absolutely brilliant insight into Berlin's illustrious history. For the record our guide was called Annabel!

Again with regards to the staff, small things such as not printing the correct number of us for the breakfast buffet/ not activating our key.

The gym. It consists of three machines! A stepper/ cycle and rowing machine. The sauna is tiny!

Berlin is a terrific city, and whilst I wouldn't say the hotel is bad, I don't feel it deserving of four stars.

Stayed: March 2007
3  Thank monkeyarmy
Reviewed January 19, 2007

Stayed in hotel from 28th December 2006 to 4th January 2007. As we are a family of five had two rooms, a double and a triple. (which was a double with a fold away bed added, so a little on the small side).
Requested adjoining rooms and request was granted.
Hotel was warm with plentiful hot water.
Close to s-bahn and u-bahn so travel around Berlin was straightforward.
Breakfast was plentiful and staff there were particularly nice. All staff spoke good English.
On the down side the maid was always in a hurry in the mornings and was keen to clean room by 8am. A further problem was the bed linen was unchanged for our entire stay.
Towards the end of our stay the reception area was having a major makeover...a bit dusty and noisy.
However would probably stay in this hotel again and a visit to "Il Mondo" at the end of the road for pasta or pizza is a must.

Stayed: January 2007
9  Thank Simba-Mark
Reviewed December 8, 2006

Firstly the most important thing about this hotel is it has changed it's name to Nh Frankfurter Allee.

We stayed at the hotel from 2-7 Dec 2006. We took a taxi from Tegal airport and when the taxi stopped outside the hotel I thought the taxi driver had taken us to the wrong hotel and I made him wait while I double checked - much to the embarrassment of my husband!
We had a lovely room on the 4th floor with a small balcony - the whole of the 4th floor was non-smoking so there was no stale smell of smoke. The bed was the usual two singles pushed together and very comfortable and as it was too single duvets there were no duvet fights. The bathroom was very spacious with a deep bath - perfect for a long soak after going round the Christmas Markets.
Breakfast was included in our booking and was very good. There was plenty choice of hot and cold food and drink and everything was very fresh and well laid out. The dining room was divided into a smoking and a non-smoking section which really made a difference.
The hotel was outside the city centre but ln between two u-bahn and one s-bahn stations. On our first day we walked it to Brandanburg Gate in just under two hours. We got the u-bahn back in under 10 minutes! After that we used the u-bahn all the time and a 72 hour pass only costs 19 euro it was well worth the money. There were also very good local shops including the Ring Centre with many high street shops including H&M and very good handmade chocolate shop.
The hotel staff were very pleasant and friendly and as said elsewhere spoke very good english and booked our taxi back to the airport.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone wishing to stay in Berlin.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled with family
8  Thank MTQK
Reviewed April 26, 2006

Stayed three nights from 23rd April 2006. Bit apprehensive after a bad experience in a London Best Western. However, this hotel was excellent. The position just minutes away from Berlin central on the U bahn meant quiet nights. The rooms were well decorated and equipt. The staff were helpful and spoke English. The resturant was equally recommended. I just wish we could find hotels in the Uk for this price.
I recommend this hotel to all those reading this review and looking for somewhere to stay in Berlin.

21  Thank Buggsie