“Wonderful” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersGold level
Scotland
“Wonderful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2012

Friendly, helpful staff who could not do enough to make our stay enjoyable. Supremely comfortable rooms with lots of space and a marvelous bathroom. Great Intercontinental Club - extensive breakfast, good lunch and hot dishes in the evening, with drinks. Faultless in every way.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Robert_P_Herr, General Manager at InterContinental Berlin, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Dear Guest

many thanks for your great feedback and for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. I will share it will my entire team.

With best regards
InterContinental Berlin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (309)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2012

Stayed here recently for the ICEF conference. I checked in quite early, room was ready and staff were very friendly and efficent. I think I had a slightly larger room as it was on a corner but the decor was superb and I thought it was very good. Few small issues though; day 1 lift button didn't work so you had to press up, get in and go up and go down. It was fixed quite quickly though. I had a big issue with the lights constantly flashing in the room. I did mention it but it didn't get resolved. Mentioned it again when I checked out and the lady on the desk was very apologetic. Loved the coffee machine, and the fact that the room had a sofa. Bathroom was good too, nice size, modern decor, HUGE shower. My bed had a large gap between the headboard and wall. We are talking around 40 cms, and that was a massive pain. The pillows fell down it when you tried to sleep. In fact the bed generally wasn't great, and not the standard I would expect from a 4*. I wish I could say I had slept well but sadly I didn't. Sound proofing is awful. I could hear every word of my neighbours conversation one night, and in the morning her alarm!

The best thing was the breakfast. I have stayed in 4 and 5* hotels in a number of locations and I would say this has to be the best ever. I really cannot praise it highly enough and would be tempted to go there just for a breakfast if I were ever in Berlin and wasn't staying there :-) If I were there on leisure I would certainly look at it again, even though the location is a little bit further out of the main sites.

Room Tip: Go for the East Wing which is the new one. Rooms are newly refurbed!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Robert_P_Herr, General Manager at InterContinental Berlin, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Dear Guest

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel during ICEF and I am grateful that you took the time to share your experience.

We aim at resolving all issues our guests have and I have discussed your feedback with our respective teams. I am sorry that you did not sleep well due to this inconvenience. Your review pointed us towards something we needed to improve, which we are about to eliminate and which will improve our guest experience.

I would like to point out that we offer earplugs to those affected by noise.

Your great compliment on our breakfast will encourage the L.A.Café team to keep up their good work and their dedication to always push the quality further.

Again, thank you for your thorough and positive review and I hope to welcome you back in the near future – for breakfast or more.

With best regards

Prague, Czech Republic
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2012

Even though the building does not look special from the outside, inside all the rooms are fantastic, moden, quiete. Even after staying in hunderts of hotels, I was impressed. Great place for jogging - Tiergarden is just 300m from the hotel and running around the park takes some 8km with possible pleasent detours you can run more than 15km in the nature in the center of Berlin. If you prefere using public transport, there is a bus stop just infront of the hotel "Budapester Strasse" with bus 200 going every 10 minutes or just 7 min walk to U1 metro. Hotel is also some 10-15 min walking to ZOO - center of west Berlin, so all directions are easy to reach by taxi, public transport or walking.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Robert_P_Herr, General Manager at InterContinental Berlin, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
Dear Guest,

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay at the InterContinental Berlin and that the location of the hotel has appealed to you. The Tiergarden represents one of the best running locations in Berlin, along with the many other parks in the city and popular routes such as along the Landwehr Canal.

Our concierges may be able to point you towards even more routes during your next stay – which will hopefully be soon.

Doncaster
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2012

From the moment we arrived I knew this was going to be a pleasant stay............

Upon arrival, our bags were taken from us and we received a wonderful warm welcome from Jennifer on the reception desk. Jennifer, along with her colleagues, was a superb help throughout the wekend as well as delivering excellent service.

We were allocated a deluxe room on the 11th floor with breathtaking views over the Tiergarten, which was beautiful, given it is autumn in Berlin. Room had a contemporary feel and was spotlessly clean. Walk-in shower was tremendous and the bathroom had a seperate bath if required. We did not use the Spa facilities, so I am unable to comment on the quality of this service.

Breakfast was marvellous. A choice of hot or cold dishes and a very well managed restaurant too, which was in keeping with all other areas of the hotel, along with the friendly smiling staff.

The hotel is very well located (central) near the Berlin Teirgarten and zoo. It is a 10 minute walk from the nearest rail / underground station, however if arring at night I would recommend taking a taxi to the hotel (like we did) at a cost of Euro 7 approx.

Having worked in the travel industry for 32 years, I know a "good" hotel when I see one! This is "up there" with the very best hotels I have stayed in or visited. I will be returning to the Intercontinental hotel, Berlin in the future without question.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the Tiergarten.
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. It always helps us to hear from our guests, how we are doing in creating a memorable guest experience and impressions like yours are what we strive for every day. Especially as you have worked in the tourism industry for 32 years, your judgement is a great compliment for which I am grateful.

I will forward your review to our respective teams and I hope that during your next visit you will find the time to experience our SPA InterContinental which has been awarded with the European Design Award.

Nottingham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2012

After several visits I have found the hotel consistent in its high standards. The rooms I have used have been very comfortable and quite spacious. I like having the cupboards for clothing incorporated into the large bathroom and also that the bathroom has a bath and a separate enclosed shower area.

Breakfast is a pleasant experience and provides a very wide range of foods; the availability of sparkling wine is a nice touch. The breakfast staff are well organised and able to cope efficiently with large numbers. Without exception I have found all staff to be friendly and helpful.

I visit Berlin for the music and for that the hotel is ideally situated. Catch the number 200 bus from the front of the hotel and you can be dropped off at the Philharmonie, Komische Oper and Staatsoper in that order ... and get the bus on its return to bring you back to the hotel. For much of the time the bus leaves every 10 minutes. The same bus will also take you to many other popular tourist destinantions. Going to Deutsche Oper and the temporary home of Staatsoper at the Schiller Theatre involves an 8 minute (I've timed it) walk to Wittenbergplatz U-Bahn station and then a 5 minute journey on the U-2 line. For Deutsche Oper you literally get out at the opera house (the stop is actually called Deutsche Oper) and for the Schiller Theatre there is a 5 minute walk from either Deutsche Oper or Ernst-Reuter Platz. Remember that you can get one day travel cards at the U-Bahn stations for 7 Euros and they are valid for the metro, buses and trams for 24 hours from the time you validate the ticket. They will even take you as far as Potsdam.

The hotel is also close to the Zoo, Kurfurstendamm and the wonderful Ka De We department store.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Robert_P_Herr, General Manager at InterContinental Berlin, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience of several stays at the InterContinental Berlin. I will forward your feedback to the respective teams. Especially your remarks concerning the location will be of great interest for our numerous guests who love to visit the cultural attractions in Berlin.

I look forward to welcoming you in Berlin and at the InterContinental again soon.

Robert P. Herr,
Lanaken, Belgium
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2012

My partner and I just returned from a weekend trip to Berlin staying at the Intercontinental; firstly, the location is very convenient in the heart of Berlin near shopping, tourist attractions, restaurants, night life and just a couple blocks from the U/S Bahn stations and the Zoo Railway station. Also, the hotel is a quick and rather inexpensive taxi ride to/from Tegel Airport.

Our room was very nice, of adequate size with a comfortable king size bed and was recently updated. We were in the "newer" tower where the standard rooms are a bit larger; that being said, the room was smaller than most 5 star "international standard" hotel rooms that we have stayed in. The room was very well equipped (including a very fancy coffee maker) and the bathroom also had all of the conveniences and was well designed with a door seperating the vanity area from the WC. Note that the bathrooms have a shower/tub combination (no separate stall shower) although "rainforest" and handheld showers have been installed. All very nice. As nice as the room and bathroom were, we thought that the design of the room was a bid "odd", as if the room was "overdesigned"; for example, a sitting bench is intergrated into the headboard/nightstand unit which is cute, but a comfortable chair would have been appreciated. The television is rather small and sits in a corner on top of the minibar while there is a huge empty wall over the low dresser facing the bed - a much bigger TV could have been installed. All minor points, but just simply odd.

Breakfast each morning was nothing short of spectacular: the choice and service equals or exceeds anything that we have scene worldwide at any hotel (including far more expensive upmarket hotel properties). And, the service at breakfast was excellent with prompt coffee (and specialty coffees) and juice service. The buffet was well looked after, with every item being refilled until very late in the morning. Bravo! Note the the hotel was quite busy and the staff more that kept up with demand.

The swimming pool and spa was very nice. Although pool access is complimentery, there is a Euro. 15.00 charge to use the sauna which was odd.

The young woman who checked us in (Alexa) was very very nice; we arrived very early in the morning (about 0830) and, of course, our room was not yet available but she assured us that she was get us a room as soon as practical. At about 1030, she called us on our cell phone to advise us that the room was ready, our bag had been delivered to the room, and that we could stop by the reception desk (without waiting) to pick up our key cards. Good service. Also, she assigned us a room on the Club Executive floor to get us accommodated early.

A couple of minor negative points: the bedside telephone in our room did not work and was not fixed during our four day stay although we asked both the reception and housekeeping staff on several occassions to repair the telephone. Also, for some reason, the business center was not open or available during our stay which meant the only way to check in for our return flight was to ask the concierge to do it for us (he did, but he was unfamiliar with the airline site and nearly cancelled our reservation.....uugghh.) And, the day that we were leaving, the entire hotel was being converted into a convention center for a major corporation which was not really guest friendly for non-convention guests.

Overall, a very good hotel that we hope to return to in the future. As mentioned, the location is great and, from time to time, very good weekend rates are offered which are an excellent value.

Room Tip: Rooms in the newer tower are slightly larger.
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Robert_P_Herr, General Manager at InterContinental Berlin, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for the thorough review of your stay. I am very satisfied that your room on the Club Floor met your expectations and my team will be glad to hear that they lived up to the promise made by InterContinental.

I looked into the technical issues with your phone. In order to optimize maintenance processes, in order to further improve processes we recently have installed a tool for improved coordination which should make such experiences a thing of the past. I am sorry for the inconvenience caused.

I also wanted to draw your attention to the variety of our room types covering a wide range of facilities depending on the needs of our guests; e.g. some provide more space whereas others have more seating accommodation. In order to make sure that your room has the features you wish for, you can always ask our team upon check-in to show you different rooms.

That being said, I would love to welcome you at the InterContinental Berlin again soon.

Robert P. Herr,
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2012

I quite liked the hotel; the best was SPA and breakfast.
But my room was just not big enough and also air con did not work. You can't open windows there so I asked twice in the evening twice to cool down the room but looked like the staff did not know it.

Room Tip: First thing check if air con is working properly.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple