“From World War II to Tempelhof Park” 5 of 5 bubbles

Modern Berlin Bike Tour Including Kreuzberg and Tempelhof Airport
Ranked #50 of 798 things to do in Berlin
Type: Other
More attraction details
Owner description: Guided tours in the former airport building.In German : Mo - Thu 4 p.m., Fr 1 p.m. and 4 p.m., Sat /Sun 11 a.m. and 2 p.m.In English Sat 3 p.m., Sun 2 p.m.Special Tour "Hidden Places in the Former Airport building" Sat 12 p.m.,Special tour " American Alliied Forces in Tempelhof" Sun 12 p.m.Special arrangements for groups in German, English, French, Spanish, Dutch, Polish, Czech, Russian and Chinese language.
Lahti, Finland
127 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 92 helpful votes
“From World War II to Tempelhof Park”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2014

Indiana Jones visited there and it was famous Cold War Airport. Nowadays it is large park area for all the citizens of Berlin. This one of those top targets of Berlin. It is quite far away but easily reached by metro. Nice place to relax and to feel the history.In spring time there is protected areas for skylark population.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank OPP_lahti

• Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Berlin, Germany
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Now a great recreation area!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2014

Very nice park, if you like wide open places, this former airport is for you. One can ride a bicycle or jog on the former runways, or have a BBQ at the runway end opposite the terminal building.

Visited March 2014
Avellino, Italy
32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 139 helpful votes
“Interesting visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2014

Visiting the abandoned Tempelhof (a huge building, more than 3 km long) is a sort of dive into the past: the Nazi times, when in the hangar were built the german fighter planes and in the bomb shelter an artist decorated the walls in order to make the children forget what was happening outside, and the Cold War times, when Tempelhof was the middle-point of the Air Bridge, aimed to provide West Berlin the supplies needed after the soviet blockade of the area.
Interesting visit, and gret photo opportunity.

Visited September 2013
Honolulu, Hawaii
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“full of life, easily navigable and accessible”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2013

Lebendig, nicely connected and accessible by rail, bus, etc.
No need to have accommodations before arriving to this and most European cities. You can grab a flyer or inquire right at the airport.
You may even shop for groceries before leaving!

Visited January 2013
Winchester, United Kingdom
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Disappointed I'm afraid”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2013

I was really looking forward to heading to the former airfield and learning more, plus seeing the amazing buildings. When I got there I thought it was all very badly signposted, where to access the airfield and also where the tours and information point is. Eventually through using the website on my phone and asking people I found my way to both.

The airfield is a great space and it is brilliant in the city to have the space for various activities.

I was very let down with the buildings though. Over a week before I visited I emailed (in German so no excuse for a language barrier) the contact address on the website to ask if I could arrange an English tour as I was visiting mid-week. I did not get a response. When I visited the buildings on a Thursday and eventually found the information centre, I was not acknowledged by the lady on the desk and only when I asked if there were any tours did I get a very unhelpful and unfriendly response. I was told there were no English tours and to come back unless I wanted to listen to German for 2 hours and she doubted that. When I asked if I could just have a quick look into the room with the high ceilings I was told a firm no and she started talking to one of her colleagues. I left feeling very disappointed and a bit miffed really.

Visited November 2013