“Lovely traditional food”

Gasthaus Julchen Hoppe
Ranked #386 of 8,842 Restaurants in Berlin
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Mitte
Description: The Julchenhoppe was taken on 01.03.2017 and under the new owner stands good service and good quality of the food and drinks in the first place. The "Julchenhoppe" is located at the Schlossbrücke in the Nikolaiviertel in Berlin-Mitte. In the Old Berlin guest house, we spoil you with Berlin and German cuisine as you know it from the grandmother. On Fridays and Saturdays we offer live music with the most beautiful hits, evergreens and Schlager from 10 decades
Reviewed November 16, 2012

Went in for a drink at lunchtime, was impressed, so went back same evening for dinner. Wine and beer not expensive, portions huge and tasty. Staff very friendly.

2  Thank PeterandPamSouthport

Reviewed October 30, 2012

With time to kill before our train to the airport, we went looking for lunch. Gasthaus Julchen Hoppe looked like a traditional German restaurant and did not disappoint, serving up the best food we had over 3 full days in Berlin.

We had Crispy Duck (ok not German), Wild Boar, Venison, Pig Knuckle and Gammon all accompanied with saurkraut, potatoes and vegetables to feed a small army. Every dish was deemed excellent and no-one was able to finish their serving. Combined with the price, this represented fantastic value for money.

A wide selection of beers and wines is available and again offers great value for money. Cannot recommend highly enough and would visit again next time.

1  Thank Jags_On_Tour
Reviewed June 25, 2012

I visited 'Julchen Hopped' on my own whilst on an extended stay in Berlin. I was in the area around Alexanderplatz and decided to venture up to the Nicolai-Viertel just past the Rotes Rathaus where the restaurant is located.

From the outside (and inside as well) it appears to be a typically German restaurant, offering hearty German fare from all over Germany (in addition to the typical Berlin dishes). As it was an exceptionally hot day I decided to sit outside to the front of the restaurant. Big mistake as not only the wasps wouldn't leave me alone and try and drown themselves in my Berliner Weisse, but also the noise of construction going on just outside was mind-numbing, not to speak of the dust that was created by the bulldozers. Anyway, this was due to my own stupidity and it was for that reason I thought I was the only guest present. I ventured inside to go to the toilet and inside it was deserted, too. This was at the height of summer and slap bang in the middle of Berlin.

I ordered pork medallions with a side of roast potatoes and some salad. The food was perfectly edible and it looked nicely presented. It was not until I got home later that night I 'suffered the consequences' of having eaten there and things got so bad I had to see my local GP in the morning who asked me pretty much straightaway whether I've eaten anything dodgy the previous day. Turned out I had minor food poisoning!

Overall I would say avoid this place. The service was somewhat underwhelming, too. Although not unfriendly the waitress appeared to be somewhat stressed and in a bad mood, did not come over once to ask whether everything was ok with my meal and never bothered to ask if I wanted another drink.

Reviewed April 12, 2012

Great atmosphere, great service and outstanding quality of food. The menu choices are vast, there is something for everybody. I try to eat here as often as possible when visiting Berlin. At times it can get very busy, especially with locals and regulars, which speaks for itself. If you want to try heart German food - its a MUST go.

1  Thank STEPDI
Reviewed January 3, 2012

We come her every time when in Berlin. Restaurant with excellent service, great food, menus in different languages and outstanding quality of food. Prices are very reasonable and the place has a very traditional Berlin Style - can't recommend it highly enough - a MUST go.

1  Thank STEPDI