“it's a club.”
Review of Berghain

Berghain
Ranked #12 of 668 Nightlife in Berlin
Reviewed July 23, 2013

My friend wanted to go cause he really likes that music (I just like to party to it) and he wanted to experience Berghain so I said why not and went along. We weren't desperate to get in since there are so many great places in Berlin we could also go :).
I know there are a lot of stories of Berghain, lot of advice what to do while waiting, what to wear... and I also read many before going :) and yes it's not easy to get in - we've seen many people rejected while waiting in a queue (for some I can't say why... and the others looked quite fancy and dressed up). It'was around 1am when we came (despite the advice :), queue was long but quite fast so we waited some 40min).
This is how we looked: him: regular short hair, dark jeans and gray t-shirt with tiger print and sneakers, me (I'm a girl): short blond hair with a bow, alternative baggy gray jeans with holes, black sleeveless shirt, bow belt, spike necklace, sneakers and neon green bag - famous Sven said yes - if you don't know who that is google it like i did :)
So we got in...
After the security check we entered the big space with wardrobe...the Berghain dance floor is on the first floor and Panorama on the second. Beside dance floors there are many side rooms to rest/drink/have some love or to do what ever you want. I really loved the design of everything.. it's industrial with a lot of soul.
First floor (Berghain): quite dark, heavy techno pumping, on the left lots of shirtless gay guys around (I liked the bodies ;)) but they were somewhat separated than the mixed audience on the right - i kind of didn't like this separation but..
Second floor (Panorama): more diverse audience, much softer techno/house sounds, nice bar and a great concert at 5am.
My experience...
Well I enjoyed there and had a great time... but due to all those stories I honestly expected more. I don't know what but I expected it to be more more underground, more weird, more decadent and maybe a bit shocking but it was a well designed club with good atmosphere.
You should go and see it yourself but don't be devastated if you don't get in and don't expect out of this world experience just go in a good mood and enjoy the night out - in the end it is just a club.

5  Thank MilaZg
"clubbing"
in 23 reviews
"soundsystem"

Reviewed July 21, 2013

The bouncers are very rude. They looked at us very arrogantly and just said "We don't want you." And they didn't give any reason. I guess they jugde people by their faces and clothes. Waste of time.

6  Thank NinaR1029
Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

I really enjoyed the club. The atmosphere is kind sinister cause there are many different people, undergroung and altetnative, gays and lesbians, but ok. The music is really good, heavy eletro. The problem is the linces, long time waiting and no sure if you'll can get into. The bouncers are really selective, definitely no groups.

Reviewed July 10, 2013 via mobile

My bestie and I recently decided to put on our finest garb on and spend the night on the tiles at Berghain.

When our car pulled up outside the power station, we were aghast by the sheer uncountable number of assembled 'roach coaches, burger vans and solo refuse collectors.

Standing in the humiliating queue felt like a 1930's bread line. You get bread, you don't bread.

Sven, the purveyor of all taste at Berghain waved us indoors. Naturally Les Chinois and the Drunken Irish were turned away.

The patrons are welcoming, relaxing and entirely devoid of pretense. Dress accordingly, get inside and enjoy yourself. Grab breakfast on the way home and have a delicious well earned sleep, awaking last noon to start your day afresh, after having spent the late night and early morn at Berghain, Berlin's answer to an all night rave straight out of Gatsby's wildest dreams.

3  Thank Alan H