“The Fish are the Stars of the Show”

Radisson Blu Hotel, Berlin
Ranked #45 of 634 Hotels in Berlin
GreenLeadersGold level
Bury St. Edmunds, United Kingdom
“The Fish are the Stars of the Show”
Reviewed October 7, 2013

I was treated to a night here by my boyfriend on our last night in Berlin. We are both mid 20s with good jobs but this isn't the kind of thing we would be able to afford all the time.

We'd come from an eco hotel in Charlottenberg and I must say we were pretty unimpressed with the hotel in general in comparison to the one we'd just left.

There was a nice blonde lady on the desk, and she gave us some good recommendations for breakfast in the area (the hotel breakfast is 25 euros). However, the service was no better than other places I've been to. We asked the concierge girl about maybe booking a late night trip up the tv tower but she just told us it's too busy right now.

The room was just average, and we said that our 30 euro a night eco hotel actually had the better bed and shower.

What saved this hotel is of course the fish tank in the middle. I could have sat there watching them all night long (so it was perhaps a good thing that they turned off their light at 9pm). There is a lift going up through the middle of the tank but sadly this is not for hotel guests but for people visiting the aquarium. If they'd let guests on the lift as well it would add an extra star for the hotel for me.

Although the hotel is massive, we didn't see many other guests. It's hard to tell who is who in the lobby where some people are guests, some just come in for a photo, and some come in for a coffee. I'm guessing they get a large amount of people like my boyfriend and I who go for a treat. I'd probably say to people like that reading this that you're better off buying an aquarium ticket and staying at another hotel. Sure, the location is good but with all the road works, it's not that pretty outside anyway and the restaurants nearby are mainly tourist trap types anyway. Save your money and go to one a little further out.

Room Tip: If you are keen on staying here then be sure to get a room facing the fish. There's no point sta...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (817)
  • Finnish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed October 7, 2013

I recently stayed in the radisson blu berlin and liked the location but found it was expensive for what you get.

The rooms were satisfactory but think that soon the decor will need updating.

The breakfast was outstanding but it should be based on the room price.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 5, 2013

Stayed at this hotel 4 nights early October. Great location, well appointed rooms and a superb breakfast buffet. Must compliment the staff on their friendly yet professional approach. Plenty of restaurants in immediate vicinity and most attractions within a 20-25 minute walk. Very enjoyable stay.

San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed October 3, 2013

I am not staying at the Radisson Blu while in a Berlin, but I should be. The staff assisted me with a terrifying problem earlier today. My husband has early stage Alzheimer's Disease and we managed to become separated on the very busy intersection near this hotel. I walked back and forth searching for him for over an hour before deciding to approach the doorman with my problem. He was immediately responsive and got me to the desk so that a police officer could be called. Do not underestimate this act of concern and kindness by the doorman, who is in fact, the gate keeper for a hotel. Before calling the police, the staff called my hotel only to discover that my husband had not returned. He is 75 and some days are fine and other, not so. The correct police division could not be reached at that time so I left to sear more on the streets, promising to return for another attempt at reaching the police. After another 20 minutes I was exhausted, afraid, worried all rolled into one. As I entered the hotel a number of staff were smiling at me and motioning me over. My husband had returned to our hotel (he has the address in his wallet and he remembered to use it for a taxi). The staff seemed as relieved as I and I also took a taxi home.

Now I know that some would expect this type of assistance for a guest at the hotel, and yes, staff at other hotels might have been as responsive and concerned. But THIS staff actually did it. They came through for me and I want other trip advisor users to know this. Last year I completed 6 months of weekly chemo and still do not have red cells in the normal range. I want to thank this staff for making my difficult afternoon a bit easier. I was not alone.

1 Thank Ann R
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed October 2, 2013

Walking in, your eyes simply wander up to the impressive aquarium that dominates the lobby. The hotel centers around this aquarium and it‘s quite the nice view if you have an inward-facing room. Staff is very friendly and their service impeccable. The hotel is located right across the river Spree from the Berlin Cathedral & Museumsinsel and within walking distance from Alexander Platz, Brandenburger Tor, Reichstag and Nikolaiviertel. A great spot to start exploring the city.

Make sure you take the time to enjoy the sumptuous breakfast buffet or have a cup of coffee on their terrace facing the Spree.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed October 2, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at the Radisson Blu for 2 nights. Eric the barman made us very welcome :-) Hotel is within walking distance of all the main attractions of Berlin. Turn left & left again when you leave the hotel & walk through the train station to get to some great restaurants & shops. Suggest trying Olivia's Italian restaurant as the food is excellent with hugh portions. (Accross the street from the train station)

• Stayed September 2013
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed October 1, 2013

In the middle of Berlin, next to the Alexanderplatz, good service, good rooms and an amazing huge aquarium in the lobby which you can see from the glass elevators. Under the hotel there is the DDR museum and in the same complex the Berlin Sea world. There are several restaurants also in the building. Good connections to the tram, local trains and the bus line to the Berlin Tegel TXL airport goes from the front of the hotel. HDTV televisions in the rooms are also nice to have. Some of the rooms have also a good view with a balcony towards the TV tower, Rotes Rathaus and Museuminsel. The breakfast was also very nice and the spa area too.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business