“Friendly hotel in nice location”

Park Inn by Radisson Berlin City West
Ranked #238 of 634 Hotels in Berlin
Christchurch UK
“Friendly hotel in nice location”
Reviewed July 30, 2012

Booked this hotel for a long weekend in Berlin. The room was clean, and large enough. Bathroom was fine with a shower bath plus basin and toilet. Room was cleaned everyday. The only minus was the lack of a coffee maker.
We bought breakfast which was the usual continental buffet style. Everything you'd expect. The hotel seems to be in a quiet area. However it was Summer and across the road is what looked like a school, so maybe it gets busier and noisier at term time. Leave the hotel turn left then left again along the main road and it takes a few minutes to walk to Hohenzollen Pl. on the U. Bahn system. You can link to other stations from here. If you leave the hotel and turn right it takes about 10 minutes to walk up to the shopping area of Kurfurstendamm.
Useful tip if you arrive at Tegal Airport is you can get the 109 bus every 9 minutes to and from Kurfurstendamm. We had bought the 3 day 2 zone welcome card at the airport and this allowed us to use this bus, plus unlimited bus and rail travel within the A and B zones. It was 2 euro's 60 tickets from the machine or the driver.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cardomon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
England
Reviewed July 29, 2012

5 night stay booked via Jet2.com Holidays. Added breakfast which we got for around £7 or £8 per day which was well worth it for the generous selection of hot and cold buffet available.Speedy check-in , the reception staff and breakfast staff were always friendly and efficient throughout our stay. Only had one request after the first night and that was for an extra pillow which was promptly provided. It's very clean and the rooms are quite spacious, decent bathrooms too. It's situated on a pleasant leafy street with a mix of mainly residential flats and eateries and bars.The local bar mentioned on an earlier review is on Dussedorfer Strasse, turn right and right again. There's a mix of shops and a Tapas place. Further along there's a really good American Diner, 'Fabulous 66 Diner'. Extensive menu and good service. Safes in the room provided free of charge on request of a key. Equal distance between the two nearest U-Bahn stations, Hohenzollernplatz and FehrBelliner Platz,, 4 and 5 stops to Winttenbergplatz. Also worth using the bus from Hohenzollernplatz Station ,ten minute ride to Zoo Station. There's also many more places to eat and drink around Uhland Strasse, a couple of blocks nearer the centre. If travelling from Schoenfeld probably the most direct way is a short bus ride to the U7 to Fehrbelliner Platz no changes. A good standard hotel in a decent area, I would happily stay there again and recommend it.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Moissac, France
Reviewed July 22, 2012

Pleasant hotel. The staff were all very knowledgeable & helpful.
The rooms are not large but adequate & the beds are extremely comfortable. The only criticism is that there is no hot drink making facility in the room. Also internet access is expensive. More in line with a 3 star hotal but nevertheless we had a very pleasant & comfortable stay. The customer care is far in excess of the sister hotel on the Uneter den Linden (Radisson Blu).

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Spokane wa
Reviewed July 21, 2012

I booked the room through a military website for $65 a night (more on that later). The hotel is in a quiet residential neighborhood, 10 minutes walk from the nearest U-bahn station and 20 minutes from the Ku-damm. Next to the U-bahn exit is a supermarket making it very convenient to grab snacks and drinks for the evening.

My room was average sized with a small desk, a little table and two chairs. The bed was a "European" king size with two mattresses on a single frame (mind the gap). Bathroom was kind of smallish, but there is a tub with a shower wand. Great value for the price and all in all a fine place to stay.

I arrived at 0900 at didn't expect the room to be ready. The young lady at the desk was very helpful, tagging our luggage and putting it in a storage room until we could officially check-in that afternoon. The afternoon check-in was the problem. We didn't get back to the hotel until 1830 that evening, after walking about 10 miles and no sleep in 36 hours. After taking our names, running a credit card and giving us a room number, the desk worker told me I needed to give her a "voucher" to prove I had paid for the room. I didn't have a "voucher", but did print the receipt the travel company had sent me after I paid for the room. Same type of receipt I'd gotten dozens of times before from Expedia, Priceline, Hotwire, ect, showing a confirmation number, the amount due, amount paid, and a balance of zero. Desk worker wasn't satisfied with a copy of my receipt and insisted upon having a voucher, even showing me paperwork she had gotten from other guests with "hotels.com" written on the heading. I asked her if my room was prepaid and she said yes. I showed her my paperwork stated balance due of zero and then gave her a copy of it. She then said probably the worst thing you could say to a tired, old, G.I. after he'd been up for 36 hours: "if you don't provide the voucher we will have to charge you again for the room.". Needless to say, this conversation went no where and I didn't feel secure about my prepayment until talking to the hotel manager the next morning.

The second incident occurred two nights later. Internet in my room cost 10 Euro for two hours or 19 cents a minute, so I really tried to limit my usage. Jet lagged and awake at 3:00 a.m. I was planning my sights for the following day. In one of my tour books, it said the museum I was interested in visiting closed in June 2011 for renovation. It didn't say how long it would be closed and I didn't want to drop any more money on the internet, so I went down to the front desk to see if they would look it up for me and see if it was open. I went downstairs to ask the male and female desk worker if they would look it up for me. After asking, the male told me I had wireless access in my room. I told him I realized that, but just wanted to know this one item. He then informed me they didn't have internet access on their computers.and I would have to ask the morning staff for help. I did ask the next morning at about 8:00 a.m., and it took the desk worker about 30 seconds to look it up and answer my question. I found it really hard to believe the night staff using the same computers didn't have internet access and couldn't take a minute to answer my question. I chalked it up to really crappy customer service.

Overall, good hotel, good value, but hopefully you only deal with the day-shift workers.

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
ajmull
Reviewed July 20, 2012

This is a clean and modern hotel located about 5 mins walk from nearest U Bahn station which is only 3-4 stops from Berlin city centre.
It is perhaps a little characterless and this is not helped by the design whereby the lifts are before the reception area,meaning that you do not walk through reception when going to or from your room. This limits any interaction with staff.

The breakfast was too pricy at E12 per head, In Berlin you can feed a family of 4 for less than this in one of the numerous bakeries and subway cafes. Hence we didn't eat at all in the hotel.

However it was good value for money and the room was large and airy with more than enough room for 3 of us.
Our only issue was with the Internet, which was patchy and an additional 6 Euro per day, but at times the reception was slow or non existent.
A coffee machine is provided and once when we asked for extra coffee the night receptionist/candidate for Berlins rudest person, told us in perfect English that we couldn't get any coffee until the morning (after pretending that he couldn't understand us!)

We discovered towards the end of our 6 night stay that we were only 10 mins walk from a lovely little square with lots of nice restaurants etc.

In summary a good value hotel, probably more geared to business than leisure, and with good transport links.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Stavanger, Norway
Reviewed June 22, 2012

I stayed here in may 2012 and was very pleased. A nice and warm welcome, nice and clean room. Very good value for money. Free internet was also very positive. I will surely be back!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Jostein
Glasgow
Reviewed June 18, 2012

I stayed her during Xmas 2010. Snow was several inches thick throughout the city and the situation of the hotel meant that some walking would be needed if not reliant on taxis all the time.
The hotel is situated in Wilmersdorf districr , south west of the city centre. There are two U Bahn staions almost equidistant from the hotel. Fehrbellinplatz and Hohenzollerplatz.The former is probably the best station to use at the U7 connect from here up to Charlottenberg and from there into the city. I was able to travel from Wedding ( north of the city) to the hotel in just over twenty minutes including 2 train changes so if you know the Berlin transport sytem reasonably well, getting about is so easy.
The hotel itself was very comfortable and quiet. Rooms are on the smallish side but perfectly adequate. I did not breakfast at the hotel as it is way overpriced when one can eat " on the hoof" in most of the bigger stations and kiosks.
Staff were very efficient and welcoming.
All in all A very decent choice for the city annd I a going back again in July to see if the snow has cleared !

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo